HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 7:45 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The traffic has gotten bad though. Maybe you can sometimes get from East Van to North Van in 20 minutes but there can also be hour-plus long traffic snarls and it's not very predictable. I've had to abandon plans to go to North Van a couple times. The transport woes have made those places less accessible than they were 10 years ago. There are also a lot of accidents due to stopping and starting on the highways.

There have been ferry issues as well. There were the days when people would just drive up to the ferry, then you would book a ferry and show up 30-60 mins before, and lately more ferries have been canceled outright.

A lot of my friends don't have cars. In the past a person with a mediocre white collar job could afford an apartment and car in a reasonably central part of Vancouver but now it's more like a shared apartment with no vehicle.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2023, 9:16 PM
be nice to the crackheads

^All of those scenarios are things that can and do happen in the region from time to time, but my point was more about it taking a 90 minute round trip to get to anywhere noteworthy nature-wise for the vast majority of people in Metro Vancouver. That's just not the case.

If you don't have a car or an EVO sub, then yeah, things will be more difficult to get to.

Last edited by giallo; Dec 6, 2023 at 9:27 PM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2024, 12:04 AM

From 1880, apparently they separated the Maritime provinces from the former Canadas in the statistics.

Canadians and Newfoundlanders in Massachusetts, 1880

Canada 74,953
Nova Scotia 33,235
New Brunswick 11,275
Prince Edward Island 5,140
Newfoundland 2,131

https://depts.washington.edu/moving1...chusetts.shtml

Old Posted Feb 4, 2024, 5:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
^All of those scenarios are things that can and do happen in the region from time to time, but my point was more about it taking a 90 minute round trip to get to anywhere noteworthy nature-wise for the vast majority of people in Metro Vancouver. That's just not the case.

If you don't have a car or an EVO sub, then yeah, things will be more difficult to get to.
I think that speaks to our need for a return of rail based transit. BC Rail is a shell of what it was, perhaps time to rebuild.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada