HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 11:33 AM

Did they change the paint scheme slightly in the articulation? It looks all black in 2402 pictured above whereas 2401 had the white and red swoop extended through the articulation.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTrainDude View Post
Any idea if they've actually tried to couple 401 and 402 together yet? For some reason that's something they don't test at the factory, so no one really knows 100% how they'll work when coupled together.....
That hasn't been tried yet but I believe the big event is planned for next week. It's all in the software...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucx View Post
Did they change the paint scheme slightly in the articulation? It looks all black in 2402 pictured above whereas 2401 had the white and red swoop extended through the articulation.
Good catch, the "design team" was looking at the train last week and we should see the final version of the complete paint scheme, graphics and lettering at the beginning of March. They were removing the white "Calgary Transit" from the nose of the train earlier this week, I wish they would remove the numbers as well.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat View Post
That hasn't been tried yet but I believe the big event is planned for next week. It's all in the software...

Good catch, the "design team" was looking at the train last week and we should see the final version of the complete paint scheme, graphics and lettering at the beginning of March. They were removing the white "Calgary Transit" from the nose of the train earlier this week, I wish they would remove the numbers as well.
You should suggest that they put the old Calgary Transit logo on as well. The wordmark they use now is a snooze-fest.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
You should suggest that they put the old Calgary Transit logo on as well. The wordmark they use now is a snooze-fest.
Unfortunately, it's going to be the new logo (red and gray rectangles) and AFAIK, they haven't decided where to stick it yet... I have some ideas.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 5:33 AM

Ctrain S200

Well, I'm not sure how big of an improvement it is but car 2401 had the front lettering redone. I think the bottom of the numbers should align with the bottom of the headlights.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 7:14 AM

I wonder if these new cars are quieter than the current ones?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sands View Post
I'd hazard a guess that they are quieter than the U2's as they don't have operable windows. Whether or not they are any better than the series 8 or earlier SD160 models is hard to say, the main noise typically comes from propulsion system (which my understanding is vastly similar to the Series 8) and wind noise.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sands View Post
On the outside, these new trains make about as much noise as the SD's with all the cooling fans running under the floor, even in "sleep-mode". Inside, the source of constant noise is the HVAC unit. Back in October it was so loud that normal conversation in some parts of the train wasn't possible and it exceeded the noise limit by a few decibels. Since then, some modifications to the system were implemented and while it's still audible, it's not as noticeable.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 10:48 PM

I find the most annoying part of the existing fleet is the loud electrical buzzing sound made in the interior during periods of deceleration. Is that something that has been engineered out of the 9 series LRVs?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outoftheice View Post
I find the most annoying part of the existing fleet is the loud electrical buzzing sound made in the interior during periods of deceleration. Is that something that has been engineered out of the 9 series LRVs?
Those are the dynamic brakes with the resistor banks residing on the roof for better heat dissipation and that's where the noise is coming from. The S200's should have better sound insulation but I believe the components are the same as on the SD's.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Those are the dynamic brakes with the resistor banks residing on the roof for better heat dissipation and that's where the noise is coming from. The S200's should have better sound insulation but I believe the components are the same as on the SD's.
Still on the roof? Sounded like Siemens was swapping solid state things under floor and things with moving parts that can clog with snow up top.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Still on the roof? Sounded like Siemens was swapping solid state things under floor and things with moving parts that can clog with snow up top.
Yes, the resistors are still on the roof but are now closer to the ends of the car, right above the first and last doors (it's the second box from the end). The box is about 50% smaller than on series 8 and the sound has changed from high pitch to 3 cats fighting. That combined with the HVAC (the biggest box on the roof) noise will make conversation a challenge.

From left to right - cab HVAC, resistors, train controls, passenger compartment HVAC.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2016, 9:51 PM

After a long delay in the delivery schedule due to some issues that had to be worked out at the factory, we're back on track, so to speak. Car 2403 arrived on Saturday but we're still more than a month away from having at least one 3 or 4-car train in service. There is a media event scheduled for April 25th with one series 9 train running in service just that one day.

New S200 Ctrain car 2403 is being moved from the CP tailtrack onto Calgary Transit's property.

With the blue shrinkwrap, the interior takes on a party-train atmosphere.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 5:21 PM

Thanks for the update and the photos. My inner child will forever think the best part of new LRV deliveries is the "do not hump" signs on the wrapping.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outoftheice View Post
Thanks for the update and the photos. My inner child will forever think the best part of new LRV deliveries is the "do not hump" signs on the wrapping.
It's my pleasure and I believe that someone did cut the sign out and it's now hanging on the wall in the garage.

The latest update is that the media event regarding the S200 3-car train operating in service scheduled for March and then April has now been pushed back to May 27. A new software package should arrive this week so the hopes are high. The total number of units received so far is still at 3.

Ctrain S200 car 2403 on a test run at Stampede station

Old Posted Apr 18, 2016, 5:05 PM

CT had a booth at Supertrain over the weekend, complete with a nice model of the SD200:

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 2:43 AM

Cool pictures guys, thanks

Old Posted May 14, 2016, 10:16 PM
Industrial Might

Saw one being tested yesterday morning on the West line. They look pretty good in person, I'm a fan of the LED's on the cab and the door lighting is a pretty good idea.

Still wish it was a bit closer to the first renders we saw, but at least new trains are better than no trains!

Any update on when we'll see the consist out for revenue service?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 8:34 AM

Quote:
It's my pleasure and I believe that someone did cut the sign out and it's now hanging on the wall in the garage.

The latest update is that the media event regarding the S200 3-car train operating in service scheduled for March and then April has now been pushed back to May 27. A new software package should arrive this week so the hopes are high. The total number of units received so far is still at 3.
As May 27 has now come and gone are there any updates as to when we might see 3 car service with the new trains begin?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 3:48 PM

So as these new cars come into service, will we finally get rid of the original 80's cars? They have served their purpose well, but they are damn old and they are showing their age.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure