HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 1:00 AM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Tim's definitely ain't great, but I still find myself dropping in most mornings on my way to work for a coffee (black in the winter, iced original blend in the summer) and heated-from-frozen baked good to start my day. Mainly because there's one right in front of the bus stop where I make my transfer. I wouldn't go out of my way to patronize them, but alas, it's far too convenient to pass up with my current commuting arrangement.

“Forget the damned motor car and build the cities for lovers and friends.” –Lewis Mumford

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 1:05 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
The part that disappoints me most is that this is the Toronto Star, not the Toronto Sun.

The Sun is a rag, but everyone knows it's a rag. I consider it a waste of otherwise useful paper, but it is what it is. So be it.

The Star actually has some merit. It is capable of real journalism. To publish this - even though it may get those clicks the Star is aiming for - is beneath it, even for an opinion column. Admittedly, a sign of the times, but disappointing nonetheless.
The Sun would probably never post an all-out assault like that on Tim Hortons. Too many of its readers love their Timmies.

This is actually right up the Star's alley: nasty elitist posing and finger-pointing.

Even the Star readers who do go to Timmies (and no doubt they number in the hundreds of 1000s) feel guilty about it and feel like they're slumming it when they do.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 1:06 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
That is some stupid hyperbole and nasty arrogance right there. Anyone who agrees with the writer is definitely worse than Hitler.

I dunno, from what I've seen the Star has gone head first into the woke deep end without a lifejacket. Some of the opinion pieces are totally batshit cray-cray.
I'd rep you if SSP had a rep option.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 1:27 AM
The Vomit Bag.

You would, wouldn't you?

Now wait for Lio to boldly go just a tad farther than you are willing to, and we can watch you cheer him on!

Or maybe break out the logical algebra!!
Say if X tells Y to go and Z, then U, V and W.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 1:29 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
That is some stupid hyperbole and nasty arrogance right there. Anyone who agrees with the writer is definitely worse than Hitler.

I dunno, from what I've seen the Star has gone head first into the woke deep end without a lifejacket. Some of the opinion pieces are totally batshit cray-cray.

You used to have a sense of humor.
this place has increasingly become the bastion of the crotchety and humorless.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 1:52 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
You would, wouldn't you?

Now wait for Lio to boldly go just a tad farther than you are willing to, and we can watch you cheer him on!

Or maybe break out the logical algebra!!
Say if X tells Y to go and Z, then U, V and W.
OK. We're talking about... Tim Hortons coffee and donuts.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 2:19 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I actually don't care for Tim Hortons' products much and even less about their bottom line but surely you can see that the hyperbole and metaphors in that piece are completely over the top.

If it were in The Onion, OK. But in a serious newspaper like the Star? Sure, they'd defend it as a satirical humorous piece but it's not hard to see through it and see the culture wars subtext.

And of course let's not forget that in 2021 we're not supposed to minimize certain things related to, say, suffering, much less make light of them.

What has been going on in Syria most definitely fits the bill.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 2:32 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamincan View Post
Sure, Tim Horton's is mediocre, but it's not terrible. It's convenient and cheap and edible. I don't really get the urge to dump on mediocrity as if it's somehow worse than Syria. Sometimes you don't want to spend $8 on an nitro cold-brew with hazelnut and just want a $2.50 mediocre ice coffee. Sometimes you just need caffeine at 5am and the barista at nearest artisan coffee bar went to bed an hour ago and won't be waking up for another 6 hours. Sure, that whiskey-infused orange-cream cherry-glazed fritter is delicious, but I just want to satisfy a passing craving and don't want to travel 20 minutes across town to the artisan donutery just for a donut.

2 hrs into my Saturday group ride? Yeah, I'm going to the local place and getting the espresso and fresh-baked goods, because it's special and a destination and who wants to spend 2 hours riding to a Tim Horton's? Getting together with some friends in the evening? Probably almost definitely not a Timmies.

I'd be disappointed if I had to spend $8 for an ice coffee every time I was thirsty and hot, and I'd be disappointed if I couldn't treat myself occasionally as well. The world has room for both things.
Half the time when I get food items from Tim Hortons they're not even fucking cooks. They've cut so many corners that they've circled the square and are trying to pass it off as a donut.

If you want good Tim Horton's, go to McDonalds.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 3:04 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
It's "humour." With a U.

I guess to you it may seem like I don't have a sense of humour anymore because I've come to really despise the coastal elite-style sneering that that piece you quoted exemplifies. The writer hates the ignorant rubes and wants me to laugh along with him, but I find I hate the writer more.

"Look how stupid people who go to Tim Horton's are" isn't my idea of sophisticated comedy.

As for this place being crotchety, the blame for that lies squarely with the wokemeisters who flock to the political threads and scream bloody murder until they get shut down. One of them even had the unmitigated gall the other day to accuse "us" (i.e. the non-woke) of ruining threads! Fugging hell.

Yeah, we'd been warned by him "to cool it," but we persisted with our belligerent viewpoints in opposition, and of course that ruins everything.

Harrumph.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 3:08 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I'd rep you if SSP had a rep option.
If I respond to this in a cheery way, that might mean that we're ganging up in our ideological silo. Soon someone will tell us to get a room.

So, to be safe, I'll grudgingly acknowledge your comment in a gruff, brusque fashion so that nobody is offended.

Because we wouldn't want to normalize this kind of thing.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 3:19 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
It's "humour." With a U.

I guess to you it may seem like I don't have a sense of humour anymore because I've come to really despise the coastal elite-style sneering that that piece you quoted exemplifies. The writer hates the ignorant rubes and wants me to laugh along with him, but I find I hate the writer more.

"Look how stupid people who go to Tim Horton's are" isn't my idea of sophisticated comedy.

As for this place being crotchety, the blame for that lies squarely with the wokemeisters who flock to the political threads and scream bloody murder until they get shut down. One of them even had the unmitigated gall the other day to accuse "us" (i.e. the non-woke) of ruining threads! Fugging hell.

Yeah, we'd been warned by him "to cool it," but we persisted with our belligerent viewpoints in opposition, and of course that ruins everything.

Harrumph.
I don't understand why you don't just go to Stormfront.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 3:44 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I don't understand why you don't just go to Stormfront.
Just when things get too dour, vid comes along for comic relief. We needed a caricature of the assholish idiocy of identity politics, and you stepped right in with a snide remark to disparage me by claiming that the root of my objections to your politics simply must be due to my racial identity.

Nicely done.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 3:47 AM
Registered Drug User

By the way, since it's the topic of this thread and all:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
Maybe Tim's decline will be a good thing. Watching local microbreweries bleed out the big foreign-owned brewers has been a delight, simply because mediocrity and uniformity is being replaced by creativity. Every age sows the seeds of its own demise. I see no reason why local businesses couldn't fill the gap that Tim's will eventually leave - memories of local unpretentious coffee shops of yore (without the smoking, please) may once again grace our streets.
Well said.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 5:11 AM
Registered Drug User

By the way again, this time vis-a-vis humour:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
Anger is performance art now, I guess. My social media feed is filling with people charging at mini-golf windmills on electric scooters.
That's a great line.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 10:39 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Just when things get too dour, vid comes along for comic relief. We needed a caricature of the assholish idiocy of identity politics, and you stepped right in with a snide remark to disparage me by claiming that the root of my objections to your politics simply must be due to my racial identity.

Nicely done.
Over Tim Hortons allegedly being a greater abomination than war-torn Syria, no less. (Even if said in jest.)

And you wonder why people think some have completely lost it.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 11:33 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

It is also quite ironic that one could defend the horrible plight of Syrians (generally Arabs and Muslims) against minimization and relativisation on here, and yet still get attacked by the usual suspects.

I know I know, the people who thought the Timmies critique was crazy over the top don't *really* care about Syrians. Wink wink.

It's all more evidence that proves it's more about membership and adherence to the cult than about the cause(s).

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 11:53 AM

Wow, the article was in poor taste, certainly (which pretty much everyone called out as soon as it was posted). But as low as my expectations of the usuals are, I didn't expect them to blame this on so-called wokeist culture war crap. Give it a rest, Don Quixote.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 12:22 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamincan View Post
Wow, the article was in poor taste, certainly (which pretty much everyone called out as soon as it was posted). But as low as my expectations of the usuals are, I didn't expect them to blame this on so-called wokeist culture war crap. Give it a rest, Don Quixote.
Show me an American in a MAGA cap or a Canadian cradling a cup of double-double and I will show you the exact same soul.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 12:47 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Timmie's used to be a reliable place to grab a quick lunch on the go if you were on the road. I also used to get a large tea at the drive-thru most of the time when I was going on a long road trip too. I don't do nearly as much travelling anymore, and the Timmie's drive thru is now a foreign concept to me.

I also used to grab a large tea and a pastry every morning at the Timmie's kiosk at the hospital when I arrived to work. I could nurse that large tea all day. It became a habit. Then the pandemic arrived. The kiosk remained open, but pandemic rules made it inconvenient. I got into the habit of bringing in coffee with me from home every day in a thermos. Rules have become relaxed since, but I have not started going back to Timmies. I'm not the only one. The line-ups at the kiosk in the hospital lobby are noticeably shorter than they were pre-pandemic.

I did pick up a tea at the hospital kiosk the other day, but this was the first time in 16 months.

I think Timmie's is in trouble, and if they want to redeem themselves to the Canadian public, they need to go back to their roots. Give us quality, reasonably priced beverages (without experimentation), fresh pastries, and a short lunch menu with a few sandwich options, soups and chili and people might come back. The mantra should be "keep it simple, stupid", and also keep things reliable and predictable. The customer should be first, not the account executives in Brazil...…….

Old Posted Jun 29, 2021, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Show me an American in a MAGA cap or a Canadian cradling a cup of double-double and I will show you the exact same soul.

They are usually the guys in the pickup truck who don't know how to merge the double drive thru lane into the single lane and wants to get one vehicle ahead.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada