HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolfire View Post
The entire idea of Mayland and Vista Heights being serviced is silly. Franklin station is already a similar distance away. There would be minor service improvement with another station. Second the station is so close to the Zoo station it's almost pointless. Might add 15 seconds to a bus route to go to the Zoo station then the one purposed beside the Science Centre. Walking wise the tip of Renfrew (house closest to the two stations) to the purposed Science centre station and Zoo LRT are pretty equal at about .5 km. Now if they build it next to 8th ave, I might change my mind a little.
from any documents i've seen for the nclrt, the station has always been at 8 ave on the west side of deerfoot. it would be closer to vista and mayland than our next closest, max bell/barlow, not franklin as you suggest. by no means is it worth building the nclrt to catch some of renfrew, mayland and vista, but it is logical to have a station at 8 ave to maximize the catchment area if the nose creek is chosen.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 5:39 PM

With Calgary's geology, no way tunnel boring will be cheaper past 16th Ave. Could always cut and cover up the first alley to the west or east that starts at ~18 Ave. You would avoid station building on the street in that case as well.

In any case, cut and cover in Vancouver for the Canada Line wasn't much more destructive and disruptive than rebuilding the streetcar lanes on St. Claire in Toronto.

Hopefully if Centre St. is chosen as the corridor a Canada Line like process is used so that the builder has freedom to place stations where they think will be most effective and cheapest, within guidelines of course.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 7:37 PM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubwayRev View Post
Policy Wonk...as for Fox Hollow....I don't see it being re-developed anytime soon. It is the busiest golf course in the city. It may be the worst course in the city, but they make a lot of money, making the land very valuable. To expropiate that land would cost a fortune.
It has been for sale in the past,

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 7:42 PM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gantenbein View Post
If thinking that there is residential and recreational potential within the deafening din and nauseating smell of Deerfoot Trail isn't wishful thinking, I don't know what is. I even find it unpleasant up on the ridge in Mountview/Winston Heights.
I have found it barely noticeable outside of rush hour when Centre Street isn't exactly tranquil either.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 8:23 PM

Yes, but you can walk across center street at basically every block. Deerfoot is probably a little trickier.

I also don't think our geology would affect the cost of boring that much. Those machines can pretty much do whatever you need them to and cutter heads can be designed appropriately.

Probably not cheaper than cut and cover when looking at direct costs, but like Policy Wonk elludes to, the headache that I think cut and cover would create is probably worth the extra dollars.

If the whole tunnel were bored, then the requisition costs can be spread over the length of the tunnel. Boring would likely be quicker as well. Depending on its depth, it would also not conflict with utilities, of which I'm sure there are tonnes along center street.

Its definitely something that should be looked at seriously. Such a machine would have the potential to be used in the SE line and obviously the subway.

I mean, Edmonton did it. I would hope we can too.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 9:08 PM

Quote:
I have found it barely noticeable outside of rush hour when Centre Street isn't exactly tranquil either.
Once again, I practically live on Centre and 20th, and from what I hear in my garden (never mind inside the house), I might as well live in any suburb.

To say you find the noise there barely noticeable suggests to me that you've spent very little time in that area, if any.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 9:35 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

MGF, good points brought up. I would support a Nose Creek Alignment, if and only if there is a Centre Street Tram up to at least 40th Avenue, and hopefully Beddington Centre. But then again, what would be the point of the Nose Creek alignment up to Beddington Trail at all if there is a tram. I like trams, as many on this forum know, but the ridership on a Tram from Beddington to the CBD would be too large for the tram capacity to handle. An LRT serves CBD commuteres, trams act as inner-city circulators. Trying to use the one as the other is doomed to fail.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2009, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonGoldenFlames View Post
from any documents i've seen for the nclrt, the station has always been at 8 ave on the west side of deerfoot. it would be closer to vista and mayland than our next closest, max bell/barlow, not franklin as you suggest. by no means is it worth building the nclrt to catch some of renfrew, mayland and vista, but it is logical to have a station at 8 ave to maximize the catchment area if the nose creek is chosen.
Well the South Creek Site Plan proposes two LRT sites by were they are going to build the Science centre and one by the 8th ave bridge. http://www.calgary.ca/DocGallery/BU/..._site_plan.pdf Page 49 of 53. So we will see were they decide to place the station.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2009, 9:29 PM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gantenbein View Post
Once again, I practically live on Centre and 20th, and from what I hear in my garden (never mind inside the house), I might as well live in any suburb.

To say you find the noise there barely noticeable suggests to me that you've spent very little time in that area, if any.
I spent alot of time over the better part of a decade in the office park north of Deerfoot mall and dated a woman who then lived on Blackthorn Road which overlooks Laycock Park. Really didn't bother me and in the office building I couldn't even hear it period.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2009, 6:15 AM

Some interesting and thoughtful discussion happening on both sides of the coin. Just some comments on some of the topics being raised...

In regards to the land adjacent to Nose Creek:

For me the best way to tell if development will succeed along a Nose Creek valley alignment is to turn to the South LRT. The south LRT runs along a CPR right of way for most of its alignment. The adjacent land is mainly the same kind of light industrial/commercial development that exists along the Nose Creek Valley. In the 20+ years that that South LRT has been in operation we have seen very limited redevelopment along this stretch. The City is trying to focus on area plans for a few of the stations along the South LRT but even if those plans are successful, we will still see limited change along a large portion of the line. I can't imagine redevelopment along Nose Creek would be any different. As far as using the vacant land for new large density projects, I don't think that it would be all that successfull of a venture either. From my perspective, Calgarians have shown a large amount of opposition to high density developments in any area besides downtown or the beltline. Add in the fact that these developments would be built in a green belt like Nose Creek, and tell residents of adjacent communities that the traffic will be directed onto the limited (and already clogged) east/west arteries in the area and I just don't think the prospect stands much of a chance.

In regards to regional rail limiting TOD in Nose Creek:

Now having just said all that, let's assume for a second that I'm wrong. That the Nose Creek Valley lives up to its full potential for development. Why do we need the LRT there at all? As mentioned, the proposed regional rail network would follow the exact same alignment as a Nose Creek LRT. Now I will agree that the 'traditional' style of regional rail we have seen here in Canada has limited potential in promoting TOD. By traditional, I'm refering to the model we've seen in Toronto with GoTransit. These trains share the tracks with other trains and as a result frequency is limited but the trains that do run offer a lot of capacity. However in Calgary, there is no reason that we need to follow this model. As somebody has already mentioned, I have no doubt that a future regional rail network will have its own right of way. If the City believes that the land exists in Nose Creek for 2 LRT tracks, construction of a Centre Street alignment means that that land will still be there for 2 regional rail tracks. I think that a regional rail network, consisting of 3 or 4 car train-sets, running every 20 to 30 minutes would be more than capable of meeting the TOD needs of any future development in Nose Creek.

In regards to a Centre Street tram:

I too think that a tram system will be very useful in a city like Calgary. However, I think that a tram is best used to serve the mobility needs with-in a certain region and not to link regions together. For example, I think 17th Ave SW would be perfect for some sort of tram. I also think that once Centre Street develops into a proper urban corridor, it would also benefit from a tram system to serve peoples needs as they travel back and forth along the corridor. However, I don't think that it will stimulate the same level of redevelopment along Centre Street as an LRT line would. The biggest selling feature for any redevelopment along Centre Street would be quick and easy access to/from downtown. Since it shares its right of way with traffic, a tram would offer very limited improvement to the travel times to/from downtown. Now of course, the other option is to create a right of way for the tram that is seperate from traffic and adding priority signals as well. I agree that this would do wonders to provide quick travel times to/from downtown as well as the additonal hop on/hop off benefits that a tram offers. However when it comes to Centre Street, this type of construction would mean that traffic would be limited to one lane in each direction with narrow side-walks and no on-street parking. To me, this would negate any benefits created by a tram system. An underground LRT line avoids these problems.

In regards to construction chaos:

Yes, I agree that any method used to create a Centre Street subway is going to cause head-aches for residents. However, I don't think that this means that the project isn't viable. If you were to go to a resident and ask how they'd like to listen to 5 years of construction, they might hesitate. But what if instead, you were to ask that resident if they'd be willing to put up with 5 years of construction in order to add an extra $20,000 to the value of their home? I think you might get a different response. And while having Centre Street closed in various parts for a few years to accomodate construction will cause some traffic chaos, it isn't completely un-familiar territory. When the Centre Street Bridge was closed for renovations, commuters still found a way to get downtown. When Centre Street was closed at 16th Ave to accomodate the 16th Ave widening project, commuters still found a way around that too. Granted that this project would take a lot longer than either of those, but I think that in the end, commuters will find a way.

Once again, I'd like to say how much I appreciate all the discussion (for and against) going on. Please keep it coming!!!

Cheers,

outoftheice

Old Posted Nov 5, 2009, 7:09 PM
Inflatable Hippo

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion based on the South LRT - the area east of the LRT and McLeod Trail is a limitless wasteland - no matter what you build there is another block of blight, that makes it difficult to impossible to build a livable community.

In the North you have a golf course that has been for sale in the past and you have an industrial area with extremely defined barriers that is much smaller and could be redeveloped much more decisively. On one side there is Deerfoot Trail and on the other Nose Creek, there isn't another dozen blocks of warehouses. A new community also benefits from the proximity to other nearby residential communities with schools, recreation and the like.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2009, 7:51 PM

I would only be in marginally accepting of a Nose Creek alignment if it included the Golf Course being redeveloped into a residential community ala The Bridges, or another similar mixed density browfield smart-community.

Even then I have reservations and it wouldn't be my first choice of alignments as:
1) it still enters downtown via the northeast LRT link which we all know is a huge bottleneck, when a proposed SE-NC link makes a helluva lot more sense.

2) How big is the golf course even, hectare/acre-wise? Could you actually build a decent sized community in there? I just looked at google maps, I never noticed before, but there are two distinct golf courses in that parcel, Fox Hollow, and Calgary Elks Lodge. If you only included Fox Hollow (which I believe is the public course, I'm not an avid golfer, so I could be wrong) as part of the redevelopment, it would sort of be an isolated community as it would be bordered to the east by deerfoot, to the north by industrial and the 32 Ave connector, to the south by 16th ave, and to the west by Elks Lodge Golf course. Not exactly connected to other surrounding communities.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2009, 8:10 PM

for all those who think the nose creek will interline with the ne-w line, please understand that is not the case. the proposal i have seen sees it continuing south over the bow and following the cpr tracks thru inglewood, similar to the se alignment. mind you, that might just move the interlining issue to another location, but it does open up more options.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2009, 8:21 PM

Yeah, the other option was an interline with the SE LRT

Old Posted Nov 5, 2009, 8:39 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

The biggest problem with Nose Creek is that it essentially misses the catchment area for riders until Country Hills. It is cheaper to build of course, but what does that matter if no one takes it?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2009, 11:03 PM
Round Head

^That is the essential problem. It completely by-passes probably 50% of its long term ridership catchment area. The line will run over 10 km out of downtown in length before it is capable of getting optimal transit ridership. That alone makes a Nose Creek alignment a waste of money. That's notwithstanding the need to leverage its city-building potential as well.

Has anyone added up the population of the communities within a reasonable catchment area surrounding Centre Street vs what you could expect to capture from a Nose Creek alignment from downtown up to say around Beddington Trail? It would also be interesting to make some assumptions about growth and redevelopment potential with a dense midrise urban corridor condition right on Centre Street and R2 with maybe some R5 intensification in select locations near stations on the adjacent blocks.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
for all those who think the nose creek will interline with the ne-w line, please understand that is not the case. the proposal i have seen sees it continuing south over the bow and following the cpr tracks thru inglewood, similar to the se alignment. mind you, that might just move the interlining issue to another location, but it does open up more options.
I find this interesting as I haven't seen anything talking about the City's proposed alignment going through Inglewood. I've been basing my thoughts off of this document from Calgary Transit: http://www.calgarytransit.com/pdf/ct...twork_plan.pdf If you have a link to anything showing an alignment mirroring the SE LRT route, I'd definately appreciate it. Either way, I think that both you and Mooky are right, it just moves the problem to a different location. The best solution is to make it an extention of the SE LRT from downtown, not a spur line off it or the NE LRT where inter-lining is required.

cheers,
outoftheice

Old Posted Nov 5, 2009, 11:28 PM
Crunchin' the numbers.

Quote:
I've never seen this, based on either the corridor study or the network plan that outoftheice posted.

The SE plan included some preliminary alternate alignments that included that line heading north over the Bow and interlining with the NC and NE between Barlow and the Zoo; is that maybe what you're thinking of?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2009, 11:36 PM

Quote:
In the latest NC LRT corridor study (2006), the routing you mention was one of the options studied. It was not recommended, however, and the one which interlines with the NE LRT was.

Unless you've seen something more recent that reverses this recommendation of course.

Here's the study (see the last 2 pages for the options, and then the recommendation):

http://www.calgarytransit.com/pdf/no...dor_review.pdf

Old Posted Nov 5, 2009, 11:48 PM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
^That is the essential problem. It completely by-passes probably 50% of its long term ridership catchment area. The line will run over 10 km out of downtown in length before it is capable of getting optimal transit ridership. That alone makes a Nose Creek alignment a waste of money. That's notwithstanding the need to leverage its city-building potential as well.
How many buses go down Centre Street to Downtown and would continue to with or without NC LRT?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure