HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 19, 2020, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Tim's is the closest place to order food from my office. I have a very busy job and don't want to walk more than one minute and don't want to wait in line. Plus I don't want to spend too much. So I order lunch for $5 1-2 times using the app for pickup every week.

Since the update a couple of weeks ago, the Lunch option shows up blank but everything else works fine. And since it was an update, my recent orders were blank. So 3-4 times I didn't go when I would have normally. It was impossible to order lunch on the app.

Today for some reason is the first day it started working on my phone.

Tim's is getting so much bad press lately, much of it self inflicted. And the general sentiment is that it just doesn't feel Canadian anymore. It's not nearly what it used to be.

I actually like their donuts and muffins (for the price paid - can't compete with in-house donuts), the few food items I get are passable (chili is excellent value), and I love their colour scheme and decor. I find the outside and inside to be inviting for what it is.

But ever since a Brazilian company took over, instituted all kinds of changes and cost cutting measures, etc., moved HQ from Oakville to a DT office building and introduced a bajillion new and experimental items, the risk of alienating your base was always going to be there.
That's probably the most positive review of Tim Horton's I've read in 15 years.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 5:22 AM
recession proof

I don't understand why people buy coffee when it's easier and cheaper to make a great cup of coffee at home or work.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
I don't understand why people buy coffee when it's easier and cheaper to make a great cup of coffee at home or work.
For many people, going to Tim's, Starbucks, etc. for coffee isn't just about the actual coffee... it's an excuse to get the hell away from your desk. But I agree that there are a lot of people who just won't make coffee at home and go to a coffee shop very frequently. I don't know if they ever sat down and calculated how much money they're spending every week on it.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
For many people, going to Tim's, Starbucks, etc. for coffee isn't just about the actual coffee... it's an excuse to get the hell away from your desk. But I agree that there are a lot of people who just won't make coffee at home and go to a coffee shop very frequently. I don't know if they ever sat down and calculated how much money they're spending every week on it.
I stopped going to coffee places and make my own at home or here in the office. We calculated it has saved a few hundred dollars, also buy my bagles on Sat morning and have them insted of buying them every morning.

Breweing my own coffee cost me about 61c a day. add $5.00 a week for bagles it works out to be about $480.00 a year as aposed to about 1800.00 if I go to Timmys everyday.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 5:05 PM
recession proof

And what I liked about brewing my own coffee: every few weeks I'd try a different roaster's beans. In Toronto: Outpost, Merchants of Green Coffee, Sam James, Propeller, Pilot, Reunion, Hale. Hamilton: Detour, Vintage Coffee. KW: Monigram, Smile Tiger, Baden Coffee, Red Circle, Eco.

Now I just drink decaf occassionally (especially Monigram and Smile Tiger) along with roasted chicory root and dandy blend.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 5:23 PM

Exactly. It's an excuse to get out and do something for cheap. For a lot of people.

I sometimes go to the new Fortinos for grocery shopping if I'm not buying a boat load of groceries instead of the Food Basics across the street. It may cost me like 5 bucks extra, though if there's a few things on sale then it's equal. I like the experience of the parking garage (especially in winter) plus the assault on your senses when you walk in. The experience is way better.

As for coffee or tea, I prefer a paper cup over a mug. It's psychological. Just feels better to me. I have bought the cheap coffee cups from Dollarama and Costco, etc. but they look and feel cheaper than a real coffee store cup. However, my wife got a hold of two stacks of quality cups from her work's strike and I am using them right now in the office over our company mugs. However, I am not a real coffee drinker. Just drink it to help pass the time at work or on a road trip.

I also prefer beer in a bottle over a pint glass/mug or can so I don't buy the tall boy cans too often even though they are better value. But I also don't drink that much.

My father in law has been driving to the store everyday to buy a Toronto Sun for all 12 years I've known him. No idea if he did this before but if he just simply had it delivered he would have saved thousands over all these years on the paper and gas. He's been retired for about 7 years now and that is his excuse to get out. He also has his thermostat set on 23 the entire day and I'm pretty sure it's not programmable either.

I also worked with someone who went to the machine everyday to buy a bottle of Coke. God knows how much she would have saved by just bringing in a case or one bottle a day. This was in a suburban office where nearly everyone drove and I know she did too.

I don't have a problem with people and their creature comforts but I have a problem if those people complain about how tight money is.

Then you got your women who drop $200 at the salon every month and complain how hard it has been for them to save up for a downpayment on a house. I know one personally in this scenario and she's already a good looking woman. She could straighten her hair at home and still be just as hot.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 5:28 PM
recession proof

But paper cups are awful for the environment as so many of them aren't or can't be recycled or end up on the street/ditch. I liked drinking my home-brewed almond milk lattes from a Yeti thermos.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2020, 6:03 PM

Incidentally, the two stacks I'm using right now say compostable on them. No idea about other ones I've used.

When we get a carton of coffee for a meeting from Hortons or the Italian place downstairs we have left over cups and I will use those as well. Don't know about those either.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 11:09 PM

Oops:

TORONTO — Tim Hortons says it will temporarily stop accepting reusable cups brought in by customers amid concerns about the novel coronavirus outbreak.

The company has also put on hold plans it had to give away 1.8 million reusable cups for free as part of its Roll Up the Rim contest this year...

https://www.vancourier.com/tim-horto...rns-1.24092006

Old Posted Mar 7, 2020, 12:48 AM
I am a typical

Such a terrible company.

I track every dollar I spend on lunches for work and on fast food and it's too much. 7 of the past 8 orders I've gotten have been wrong, too. The only place that's never gotten an order wrong is Dairy Queen. Been going there for well over a decade and never been disappointed. With Tim Hortons, at this point, I just order "a random muffin" because I know they can't get it right.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2020, 10:58 PM

Reposting from the Covid thread

Well the first Canadian "victim" of the C-Virus has been found.

/mourn Roll up the Rim to "please try again"

It is survived by a digital app that no one will bother with but the company will claim is a success.

Quote:
The coffee-and-doughnut chain is removing all of the contest's paper cups over health concerns around staff handling items recently gripped and sipped by customers returning them for prizes.

Tim Hortons does not identify COVID-19 as the catalyst, but says "the current public health environment" means "it's not the right time for team members...to collect rolled up tabs that have been in people's mouths."

The company says it will redistribute all $30 million worth of prizes to restaurant giveaways and a digital contest.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2020, 11:01 PM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
I stopped going to coffee places and make my own at home or here in the office. We calculated it has saved a few hundred dollars, also buy my bagles on Sat morning and have them insted of buying them every morning.

Breweing my own coffee cost me about 61c a day. add $5.00 a week for bagles it works out to be about $480.00 a year as aposed to about 1800.00 if I go to Timmys everyday.

We do the same.....

We have good service and very rarely screw up are own orders lol.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2020, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Reposting from the Covid thread

Well the first Canadian "victim" of the C-Virus has been found.

/mourn Roll up the Rim to "please try again"

It is survived by a digital app that no one will bother with but the company will claim is a success.

Seems more like they are trying to push their app than anything coronavirus related.

Aren't the employees still going to be near customers handing them items, handling cash etc anyway?..

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 8:25 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Tim Whoreton's just went from being merely terrible food to somehow being even more atrocious. The food is absolute garbage, the coffee is brown dishwater, and the donuts...do they even sell donuts anymore? Haven't stepped in a Rimmie's since before Covid.

How hard is it to fuck up a grilled cheese sandwich? Yet Rim's rises to the occasion. They have the world's worst grilled cheese sandwich, without a doubt.

Apparently they don't use cheese, and the sandwich isn't grilled.

But then their Apple fritter doesn't have apples and it isn't fried (made 'fresh' in a Brantford factory and shipped frozen to outlets across the country).

On the other hand, Rim Whoreton's bagels have the uniquely Canadian texture and taste of hockey pucks.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 8:44 PM
digital b0y

So why you keep going there if it's so bad ?

a political policy characterized by inertia and antipathy to change

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 8:56 PM

I made the mistake of getting a grilled cheese there too. Gross! Can't even melt the fake cheese.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 8:57 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitboy View Post
So why you keep going there if it's so bad ?
Did you miss the point about not having stepped in a tims since february?

I never go there anymore. As I pointed out, however, where I work (university campus), often the only food option that is open throughout the day is Tims. I mostly brown bag, but unless you want to walk for 30 minutes outside, you are rather stuck for food options if you don't bring food with you.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 9:17 PM
recession proof

Tim's bagels are made by Canada Bread, now owned by Grupo Bimbo. They also make those gross Swiss Chalet rolls and Harvey's burger buns. Just like Tim's soups are made by Campbell's and I imagine their instant coffee is made by Mother Parker's. (I don't mind their instant decaf - I drink it occasionally when I crave a coffee taste.)

I made grilled cheese for lunch: lactose free cheddar on Winnie's gluten free white bread - the best bread in the biz. I only use one slice of bread never been a fan of the two sliced style.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 9:51 PM
digital b0y

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Did you miss the point about not having stepped in a tims since february?

I never go there anymore. As I pointed out, however, where I work (university campus), often the only food option that is open throughout the day is Tims. I mostly brown bag, but unless you want to walk for 30 minutes outside, you are rather stuck for food options if you don't bring food with you.
Ohh missed that part! I made a single visit @ Tim so far this year. Terrible experience. I will not visit again except if I don’t have any other options available.

a political policy characterized by inertia and antipathy to change

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 1:15 PM
The Vomit Bag.

What I lament is how Tim's has killed off so many competitors (Robin's Donuts, Coffee Time, Mr. Donut, Dunkin Donuts...and a billion other local spots) so now all you have in many small towns/highway stops, etc. are Tim Hortons.

Where I work, I feel like for most hours, there are no alternative choices except vending.
I feel like deNiro, screaming at his (first) wife in Raging Bull about having to eat the shitty carrots she cooked. "I've got no choice!!! I've got no choice!!!"
Video Link

deNiro always says things twice. Rather like Jimmy Two-Times.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada