HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 12:55 AM
TL;DR

Hmm seems like this might free up space at that triangular intersection near Cochon and the PRC for a cool plaza (like the cobblestone Gansevoort Plaza in NY that I mentioned awhile ago).

Switching Magazine to two-way makes no sense unless you do it all the way from Poydras to Sophie Wright Place. Same for St Joseph and Julia. Do the whole damn street instead of creating these weird-ass intersections where some drivers are forced to turn.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Im hearing something along the lines of a exchange center redo. There thought is that the neighborhood around it will be completely different in a year or two than what it is today. Also the floorplates are bit too large for residential.
I think that with all of the buildings surrounding 1010 Common that are currently slated for conversion in the next two years, they're right--it'll be much more lively than it is today (then again, I park by there and it's pretty dead). I wish them the best and hope that some companies start moving back from Metairie/Covington into the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAmike View Post
Hey fellas, did y'all see this one coming? I know we've talked about Magazine street being one way wasn't the most ideal for bike traffic. Looks like things may change substantially.

http://nola.curbed.com/archives/2014...witcheroos.php
I've been skeptical about this project from the get-go... seemed maybe too big, too ambitious, and a bit out of touch with New Orleans as a whole. I mean really they'd be creating a resort of sorts along the river. I also figured they'd encounter some staunch opposition -- NIMBYs from Warehouse District, NIMBYs from Garden District, and the entrenched hotel powers who do not like competition.

Still, if anyone can pull off such a feat it's the Convention Center/Tourism industry. They do run this town and at least strike me as competent enough to do a good job.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 12:56 AM
TL;DR

I am a resident of the LGD and I will support the project in community meetings if it is well-planned. A Vegas-style complex is something I would hate, but a dense mixed-use development that restores a street grid and brings new retail options to the city would be awesome. A handful of skyscrapers are even appropriate here, where all the traffic has direct access to the expressways and downtown. The Saulet is a good buffer between this new development and the neighborhood, but I think Melpomene needs to be widened.

City Center Miami or Atlantic Station in Atlanta are good Sunbelt examples. The DC area is king of these developments. The Navy Yard in DC shows you don't even need to go high-rise.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
A Vegas-style complex is something I would hate, but a dense mixed-use development that restores a street grid and brings new retail options to the city would be awesome.
"Vegas-style" or "Disney-fication" is exactly what I fear. Personally, the last thing I want New Orleans to have is a giant, self-sustaining resort area filled with inauthentic reproductions of this city's culture that hold visitors hostage (The Quarter is close enough to this in my view). This project looks to be of the size where this could be the result.

Now, if they were to produce a balanced mixed-use development--hotel, retail stores, public space, residential units, and commercial offices--that would be most welcome. A larger, more visitor-oriented South Market District on the river. Or a much smaller version of the South Boston Waterfront.

Having just lived in DC for 4 years I experienced too many those developments (Navy Yards, Chinatown, Columbia Heights, City Center, Clarendon, etc). I see their purpose with great amenities and quality of life, but they have so little charm or character.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 3:25 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderOz View Post
"Vegas-style" or "Disney-fication" is exactly what I fear. Personally, the last thing I want New Orleans to have is a giant, self-sustaining resort area filled with inauthentic reproductions of this city's culture that hold visitors hostage (The Quarter is close enough to this in my view). This project looks to be of the size where this could be the result.

Now, if they were to produce a balanced mixed-use development--hotel, retail stores, public space, residential units, and commercial offices--that would be most welcome. A larger, more visitor-oriented South Market District on the river. Or a much smaller version of the South Boston Waterfront.

Having just lived in DC for 4 years I experienced too many those developments (Navy Yards, Chinatown, Columbia Heights, City Center, Clarendon, etc). I see their purpose with great amenities and quality of life, but they have so little charm or character.
We will see when the actual proposals start rolling in. I know people on the board and they are aware of the type of development they want and the style. It needs to be a differentiation from other cities so dont expect a Vegas redux.

As for the traffic switheroos planned, I personally own property on two of the streets slated for changes and I support the proposed changes. Generally speaking, I always support two way traffic over one(if the street is physically wide enough) because it seems to calm traffic a bit and improve pedestrian flow. All positive from and urban development POV.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 5:20 PM

Quote:
We will see when the actual proposals start rolling in. I know people on the board and they are aware of the type of development they want and the style. It needs to be a differentiation from other cities so dont expect a Vegas redux.

As for the traffic switheroos planned, I personally own property on two of the streets slated for changes and I support the proposed changes. Generally speaking, I always support two way traffic over one(if the street is physically wide enough) because it seems to calm traffic a bit and improve pedestrian flow. All positive from and urban development POV.
But do you agree that the two-ways should continue throughout the CBD and not end randomly away from the Convention Center? I really don't understand their thinking, unless they only have authority to plan in a certain area.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 7:24 PM

http://http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com

Looks like the City Council overturned the city planning commission and decided the Deutsches Haus building was a go. Count me as one who agrees!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Legend View Post
http://http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com

Looks like the City Council overturned the city planning commission and decided the Deutsches Haus building was a go. Count me as one who agrees!
Bayou Secret LLC, A company made up of the same people who founded Launch Pad, have been picked to run the St. Roch Market:

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...l#incart_river

Seems there's been a sudden outbreak of good sense in city government.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 11:21 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
I can't argue this point, but remember that "charm and character" doesn't - can't - happen overnight. Obviously historic neighborhoods can be loaded with charm, but new construction is not, no matter how good the design. The Convention Center lands are a blank slate, so the choice is between something fortress-like that is air-dropped from Vegas, or something that is urban and connects to the city around it. There's literally nothing to preserve on this land, it was all demolished years ago.

What's important in a new neighborhood is good planning, so that the neighborhood has good bones and is prepared to evolve over time. I actually think the Navy Yard is the best of the bunch - although it's not done - because certain historic buildings were re-used and integrated with the new.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 11:31 PM

New CVS/Pharmacy in Lower 9th Ward

Quote:
NEW ORLEANS, LA- Mayor Mitch Landrieu and District E Councilmember James Gray announced today that CVS/pharmacy plans to open a new store in the Lower 9th Ward next year. It marks the first major retailer to commit to a project in the neighborhood since Hurricane Katrina.

CVS/pharmacy is proposing to open a 13,225 square foot retail pharmacy at 5000-5030 North Claiborne Avenue, at the corner of North Claiborne and Forstall Street. The block currently includes an abandoned, former service station and residential property. It will bring 20 new full and part-time jobs.
http://www.nola.gov/mayor/press-rele...-announcement/

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 11:36 PM

Launch Pad founders to help reopen St. Roch Market

Quote:
A company that includes the founding members of the Launch Pad entrepreneurial workspace collaborative has been selected to operate the city’s St. Roch Market property...Bayou Secret, LLC anticipates opening the St. Roch Market to the public in spring 2015.

The market includes 6,800-square-feet of leasable space with about a dozen vendor stalls in the front of the building. It also includes kitchen and restaurant space, along with outdoor seating.

Read more: http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...#ixzz3B4ZaOVis
http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...t-roch-market/

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 12:12 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
But do you agree that the two-ways should continue throughout the CBD and not end randomly away from the Convention Center? I really don't understand their thinking, unless they only have authority to plan in a certain area.
If possible yes ... But some streets become too narrow to continue ... But I'm not sure the whole stopping at magazine thing but I would imagine the convention center doesn't want to come across as being the city planing commission. It's possible the cpc will run with those suggestions for areas beyond that

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 12:21 AM
life is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-chop View Post
Best news I've heard all day! Very cool

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 3:22 PM

Quote:
If possible yes ... But some streets become too narrow to continue ... But I'm not sure the whole stopping at magazine thing but I would imagine the convention center doesn't want to come across as being the city planing commission. It's possible the cpc will run with those suggestions for areas beyond that
Well, you may get what you asked for. Proposed traffic changes to the Warehouse district include making Magazine two ways from the expressway to Poydras which I would assume would coincide with making Magazine in the LGD two ways.

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...affic_cha.html

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 4:22 PM
-

Interesting RFP! Im not sure why the city hadn't pursued this strategy before to address the homeless issue but its nice to see a lot of creative ways to address this. Plus this should create some revenue for the city too. Helps in two ways!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I can't argue this point, but remember that "charm and character" doesn't - can't - happen overnight. Obviously historic neighborhoods can be loaded with charm, but new construction is not, no matter how good the design. The Convention Center lands are a blank slate, so the choice is between something fortress-like that is air-dropped from Vegas, or something that is urban and connects to the city around it. There's literally nothing to preserve on this land, it was all demolished years ago.

What's important in a new neighborhood is good planning, so that the neighborhood has good bones and is prepared to evolve over time. I actually think the Navy Yard is the best of the bunch - although it's not done - because certain historic buildings were re-used and integrated with the new.

I see your point and agree that this area is perfect for such a development. My point I guess is that these developments should be built in moderation. In DC it felt like developers saw these large scale, mixed use developments as a means to suddenly gentrify an entire neighborhood by leveling a few blocks, and this happened at a breakneck speed in my time there. The sheer number of them kind of made it feel like parts of downtown DC (and all of Arlington along the Orange line) were a series of one brand new giant mixed use project after the next.

I'm totally on board with the South Market District -- replace the surface parking lots -- and the convention center's plan to build on underutilized land along the river. Even the new hospitals I agree with--in my opinion much of that area wasn't worth saving at the expense of such a transformative project.

When possible I just prefer more piecemeal replacement of buildings in an area with a distinct character. Think the Warehouse District -- lots of re-purposing and renovating existing buildings rather than large scale demotion and rebuilding -- or the CBD -- piecemeal replacement of some empty buildings supplemented by a larger number of renovations to existing structures.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 6:03 PM

http://djsnola.tumblr.com/post/95421...ion-structural

Finally renovating that huge empty building at 939 Iberville! That just made my day!

Tennis -- thank you so much for posting development news on your blog!

At the risk of being greedy, can I ask what you've heard about the planned 749-751 St Charles demolition/construction? A new 7 story mixed use building??

http://djsnola.tumblr.com/post/95406...s-ave-hdlc-coa

*EDIT* Just saw the plans for the Maestri condos on your blog. Thank you very much! Loving all of these new developments downtown. Howard Avenue is even getting more action.

So a question that's nagged me recently... At what point does it make sense to convert the Plaza Tower into a residential building? I thought the new owner was going to go down that path but once the City Council nixed his idea to open the parking garage first there's been no updates...

Last edited by FenderOz; Aug 22, 2014 at 8:54 PM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 7:23 PM
-

Quote:
http://djsnola.tumblr.com/post/95421...ion-structural

Finally renovating that huge empty building at 939 Iberville! That just made my day!

Tennis -- thank you so much for posting development news on your blog!

At the risk of being greedy, can I ask what you've heard about the planned 749-751 St Charles demolition/construction? A new 7 story mixed use building??

http://djsnola.tumblr.com/post/95406...s-ave-hdlc-coa

*EDIT* Just saw the plans for the Maestri condos on your blog. Thank you very much! Loving all of these new developments downtown. Howard Avenue is even getting more action.

So a question that's nagged me recently... At what point does it make sense to convert the Plaza Tower into a residential building? I thought the new owner was going to go down that path but once the City Council nixed his idea to open the parking garage first there's been no updates...
He's waiting for the building to turn 50 ... I believe that is either 2015 or 16... The date the building plans were filed is how the buildings are dated

Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 6:42 PM

Tennis: What is the Mr. Eds project on Baronne? I thought that was going to a be gym?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 3:09 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternSon View Post
Tennis: What is the Mr. Eds project on Baronne? I thought that was going to a be gym?
I actually dont know 100 percent but the neighbor said Mr Eds owner was planning a restaurant there. So nothing official at this point.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations