HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 11, 2014, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Which will be _illegal_. Ticket a few drivers and it will stop being an issue. I haven't heard of it being a problem in the lanes downtown.
It really isn't an issue. I cross Guad and Lavaca every day and I've seen exactly 2 cars in them illegally since they were installed

And while I know that's certainly far form a scientific survey, compared to other traffic laws that I see broken, this is very far down the list.

Unrelated: does anybody have any updates on the Lone Star Rail District?

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digatisdi View Post
It really isn't an issue. I cross Guad and Lavaca every day and I've seen exactly 2 cars in them illegally since they were installed

And while I know that's certainly far form a scientific survey, compared to other traffic laws that I see broken, this is very far down the list.
Last time I drove up Lavaca during evening rush (~5 weeks ago) I saw many violators (~20 for the trip, which took about 20 minutes from CC up to MLK). Granted, it was unusually high due to construction-induced frustration, but still. It's a rare trip during rush hour when I don't see a violation of some kind.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2014, 5:25 PM

I'm always on Lavaca and I've only seen 2 or 3 total violators. And one of them was likely a visitor who mistakenly used the lane; they eventually moved out of the lane.

For the most part, the public seems to be adhering to the law.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 5:30 PM

$96M for toll lanes: McCarthy nabs first major Central Texas highway project

Jan Buchholz
Staff Writer- Austin Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...rst-major.html

One of the largest contractors in the country — but not yet a major player in Central Texas — will build express toll lanes on State Highway 71 near Austin-Bergstrom International Airport.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 5:51 PM

^^^ I guess this is why they tore down businesses, houses and moved a church near the 71/130 intersection area.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 7:41 PM
Meh

Lamar Boulevard UPRR pedestrian crossing.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...sing_PLANS.pdf

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Lamar Boulevard UPRR pedestrian crossing.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...sing_PLANS.pdf
Such a fuss!!!!! LoL!

I'm happy just carring my bike acorss the rails!

Old Posted Sep 3, 2014, 9:23 PM
Meh

I rarely go over there anymore. We used to sit and watch trains at the station. We'd park there and walk all over the west side of downtown - usually up to Duncan Park and back. I really should go over there. I haven't seen that view in forever.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 2:59 AM

I'm very glad they're adding a formal crossing. Several of my friends come down on Amtrak and a few of them won't cross the tracks.

Plus this'll be good to already have in place for when LSTAR runs which I'm guessing will be running along the MoPac corridor already in place.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 3:45 AM
Meh

I'd rather not cross the tracks on foot while wearing flip flops (I always wear flip flops) and dragging my bike across them.

The forum lost one of its members about 5 years ago when he was attempting to cross some tracks and climbed through (over) two train cars, and was killed when the train started to move. He was out taking photos of his hometown. - Randy Sandford

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I'd rather not cross the tracks on foot while wearing flip flops (I always wear flip flops) and dragging my bike across them.

The forum lost one of its members about 5 years ago when he was attempting to cross some tracks and climbed through (over) two train cars, and was killed when the train started to move. He was out taking photos of his hometown. - Randy Sandford
I agree. With the potential for more rail traffic in the future (lone star) and guaranteed more _pedestrian_ traffic in the future (seaholm and green coming online), it's worth it to have this just to be safe.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 8:31 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I can't tell at all what's going on in those plans. I'm terrible at deciphering them. Can someone draw it in crayon for me?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I can't tell at all what's going on in those plans. I'm terrible at deciphering them. Can someone draw it in crayon for me?
LOL. You're not alone. I spent a couple minutes looking at the drawings and gave up trying to visualize just what in the Hell was going.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
LOL. You're not alone. I spent a couple minutes looking at the drawings and gave up trying to visualize just what in the Hell was going.
This might not be good enough to help, but basically it's a grade-level crossing with gates and panic buttons.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 8:56 PM

OK. It all makes sense now.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 9:08 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
That's a fucking stupid design and a waste of money. They should either wait until more funds are available to build a nice pedestrian bridge over the tracks (which would be really awesome and provide some really good views from higher up) or go ahead and fork over the money required now, because let's face it: that's what they're gonna end up wanting to do anyway, and whatever they spend now will have been a total waste.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
That's a fucking stupid design and a waste of money. They should either wait until more funds are available to build a nice pedestrian bridge over the tracks (which would be really awesome and provide some really good views from higher up) or go ahead and fork over the money required now, because let's face it: that's what they're gonna end up wanting to do anyway, and whatever they spend now will have been a total waste.
Agreed. Unfortunately, a ped bridge that is ADA compliant would be very difficult due to the grade required to clear the train, and the sidewalk is going uphill to begin with.

A tunnel is nice but there appear to be major underground utility obstacles in that area, and finding an appropriate graded exit on the north side without loosing sidewalks currently giving access to 300 N. Lamar looks daunting...

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Depends on how long it takes to upgrade (if they ever can, with the problems jngreenlee mentions). If this design is used for 15 years before being replaced, was it a waste?

If it saves just one life, was it a waste?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2014, 11:42 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Was this posted? KUT put it up in June. Cool video TXDOT put out showing what an I35 cut and cap could look like.

http://kutradio.tumblr.com/post/8772...just-dont-hold

Personally, I'd want 6th Street to have a direct connection across 35. They leave it out in this rendering.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2014, 11:14 PM

^i really hope cut and cap comes to fruition, I just want to make sure it's done right. IMO the state should foot the whole bill, (although really the Feds, seeing as how somehow the 11th most populated city in the country managed to get just one interstate) although I'd be willing to pay more taxes to pitch in. I'd like to see a report showing the amount of money paid by TXDOT per person, I really think our city leaders should push for more funding from the state. With all the new density coming online downtown (in particular the office buildings) I-35 is going to get out of control. We are not lacking in Anytown America growth all over the place that will continue to funnel in all the traffic into our core. With so few options to get to the dt employment epicenter at some point most of them will need to use 35. We have to get this (and rail) done right or our future looks much less like a true livable city.
In thinking of rail has anyone else gotten the mail from Project Connect?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin