HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 5:11 AM

oh I had Mary Browns chicken the other night, they have 3 locations in Surrey.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
That would make an interesting subform thread. Canadian's blind spots for Saskatchewan would be that most Canadians don't know Saskatchewan isn't completely flat across the entire province, but has alpine areas at it's higher elevations particularly in the South West and has low lands in the north east drainage basin to Hudson Bay. Over 1,100 meters difference in elevation overall in the province, giving Saskatchewan greater hills and valleys than other provinces in Canada outside the Rockies and the Quebec/Labrador Mountain range.
Speaking of blind spots.. I live on Vancouver Island - nowhere near the Rockies, and the tallest peak on our island is the Golden Hinde at 2,195 meters.

Source

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 9:13 AM

^ That is a pretty 'great hill' but do you have any images of valleys on Vancouver Island too to prove my point is actually wrong?

jk
I've re-edited my original post for my exact meaning.

Saint Elias Mountain range that is partly in far northwestern BC is my biggest and tallest blind spot apparently

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 9:25 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
'What are your province's Canadian blind spots' would make for an interesting off-topic Canada subforum thread...

On blind spots...

Québécois to a Franco-Ontarien named Jean-François Gagnon who just rhymed off Rock et Belles Oreilles sketches, speaks perfect French and has only a very slightly different accent:

"You speak French really well for an anglophone".

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 2:37 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

One funny aside to the Schitt's Creek thing...

My Facebook feed is full of people sharing disparaging stories about Trump, as would be expected - but a lot of them are sharing stories from the Irish press. Three times now I've seen Biden referred to by them as the Irish-American candidate. So it's not just Canada.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 3:26 PM
Closed account

Last edited by PortaPetee; Sep 28, 2020 at 12:40 AM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 3:50 PM

Mountain ranges of BC:

The Rockies
Purcells
Selkirks
Monashees
Cascades
Coast mountains
Northern Rockies
St.Elias/nw corner of BC
Not sure what you call Vancouver Island's range(s). Mt Washington is a volcano.
+ all the volcanoes

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 3:55 PM

Valleys on Vancouver Island:
Cowichan
(Port) Alberni
Comox

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
On blind spots...

Québécois to a Franco-Ontarien named Jean-François Gagnon who just rhymed off Rock et Belles Oreilles sketches, speaks perfect French and has only a very slightly different accent:

"You speak French really well for an anglophone".
My family is Acadian - my mom’s parents had 18 kids, potato farmers in New Brunswick before moving to BC to become loggers in the late 1960s. I told a neighbour (from Quebec) that my mom was French, when I said where she was from he said “ahh, that’s not real French!” He then went on to mock the way Acadians speak French and he really came across as an insecure racist. Somehow he decided to air all his grievances against English Canada to me, saying how Mario Lemieux is the greatest player hockey player ever, Gretzky was useless, and pretty much how everything from Quebec, from food to music to art was always much much better. Of course that was just him, a petty weird little man, definitely not reflective of the Quebec French at all.

And speaking of mountain ranges, turns out the Vancouver Island Ranges are called exactly that. Fascinating Wikipedia article on the Ranges, and how there are actually 16 sub ranges on the island, including one in Victoria.

Perhaps a blind spot for non-BCers is that the primary mountain range you see in Victoria and have a major impact on our local weather are American mountains, the Olympic Range, just across the water.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 5:50 PM
Closed account

Last edited by PortaPetee; Sep 28, 2020 at 12:41 AM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 6:02 PM

No doubt, lol. They really track the lineage back there - the small town we went to for a family reunion (St. Quentin) has a giant book which records every person born there and all their subsequent children, grandchildren etc.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 6:25 PM
Closed account

Last edited by PortaPetee; Sep 28, 2020 at 12:39 AM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 6:56 PM

I'd say I'm way less of a homer here than I am in real life. The only time you're likely to see a negative comment about a place from me is in reference to Toronto. I think that's in part because in my mind it's one of the only places I'm qualified to judge. It's also because the knee-jerk hysteria that arises anytime an "outsider" dares to question Toronto's superiority drives me mad. Most of the time I tend to agree more with those objectively assessing the situation from the outside than I do those who are drunk on delusions of grandeur.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 7:00 PM
Closed account

Last edited by PortaPetee; Sep 28, 2020 at 12:36 AM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 7:13 PM

If you think it's bad here don't ever venture to the international forums. Imagine the reaction if a *gasp* American was to criticize something in Toronto.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 8:38 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
If you think it's bad here don't ever venture to the international forums. Imagine the reaction if a *gasp* American was to criticize something in Toronto.
There is definitely a problem with certain American forumers being unreasonably negative toward Toronto in the international section though, so I suspect much of the sensitivity on here is a reaction to that. If anyone says anything positive about Toronto, not just compared to a US city, but sometimes even in general, at least one of them will quickly show up to explain that said positive trait is either:

- totally unremarkable and can be seen in many other places, or
- is the result of it being poor and full of immigrants, or
- a lucky coincidence that it should under no circumstances be given any credit for, and
- is obviously inferior in other more important ways so who cares

It can definitely get tiring after awhile.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 9:19 PM

Ya and I tend to be of the mind that there is validity in many of the arguments. It doesn't make me question my existence if someone says Toronto is less wealthy than Chicago, or if they want to have a discussion around whether the city's higher transit share is due to immigrants/income or whether the suburbs are really more urban because we build skyscrapers in cornfields.

I prefer to try and take a serious introspective lense to my hometown and have conversations that may even seem self-deprecating at times.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 9:42 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Sure there can be some validity in some cases and I think skepticism and honest questioning/conversation starting can be great. But there needs to be certain conditions in place for that to be successful. In my observations based on the frequency, situations and tone it isn't simple sketpicism of claims but rather an attempt to prove/enforce a particular mindset. In other words, they seem to hold the view that any positive claim can't be true because of the city's inherent inferiority. I don't consider that a viable starting place for productive discussion. And clearly it isn't been very successful given the conflict that it creates.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 10:03 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
There is definitely a problem with certain American forumers being unreasonably negative toward Toronto in the international section though, so I suspect much of the sensitivity on here is a reaction to that. If anyone says anything positive about Toronto, not just compared to a US city, but sometimes even in general, at least one of them will quickly show up to explain that said positive trait is either:

- totally unremarkable and can be seen in many other places, or
- is the result of it being poor and full of immigrants, or
- a lucky coincidence that it should under no circumstances be given any credit for, and
- is obviously inferior in other more important ways so who cares

It can definitely get tiring after awhile.
Sounds like DC_denizen, but he hates Canada as a whole just as much.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 10:41 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Yeah... he's the main culprit to which I refer. I suppose I don't notice the issues with other places as much since he doesn't talk about them as often. But you're correct.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada