HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 4:42 PM

The girl to the right of the radio appears to be checking out the goods.... As for the vinegar—somehow I think that the liquid in the bottle isn't, this being 1929....

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Cinderella Roof was a dancing academy at 422 W 6th Street in the 1920s. I flicked through the 1923 CD and found a couple of checkers, a couple of cashiers and several musicians listed there. The 1936 CD has three mentions of Wilson's Cinderella Roof without an address. I wondered if it was the same business until I found this undated picture of the block in question. That certainly looks like an "open-air colonnade studio" to me! Note that there's even a blade sign on the corner. Assuming it's the same building that appears on the 1921 Baist map, it was called the Spires Building.

Detail of picture in USC Digital Library

Did the façade get remodeled into the Union Pacific building below? It seems to have roughly the same dimensions and a similar pointed roof. This picture dates from 1951 during the construction of City Garage in Pershing Square.

Detail of picture in USC Digital Library
If my memory serves me correctly, that was the Downtown ticket office for the Union Pacific. No other office located there.

Paul C. Koehler

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

The girl to the right of the radio appears to be checking out the goods.... As for the vinegar—somehow I think that the liquid in the bottle isn't, this being 1929....
I thought the vinegar implied that Harry was going to slather the girls in it if they became sunburned. (my mom used to put vinegar on my sunburns)

Looking across Douglas Park in Santa Monica [1970s?]

old file / I thought I had found in the usc archives but I can't locate it again.

If you across the park toward Wilshire, you'll see 'Casa Escobar' on the left and the 'Round Table' restaurant on the right.

Here's a couple more photos of 'Casa Escobar' (I haven't found anything on the 'Round Table')

"The building that houses Casa Escobar is very interesting. It was built by the original owner, Carlos "Choppo" Escobar in 1965. The interior is dark as a cave,
with twinkling lights in the piano bar. There's lava rock on the exterior. Yes, this is a throw-back to another time. "
- Ellen Bloom in 2013

http://ellenbloom.blogspot.com/2013/...g-hope-so.html

I especially like the 'boomerang' arched entrance-way. (also visible in the Douglas Park photo at the top)
__

Sadly, the archway has been chopped off.

2007 and 2011 (gsv)

Truncated

Other than that disappointing development, the restaurant looks pretty good.

Here it is most recently.

gsv / 2017
__

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 6:12 PM

Spotlight

Speaking of the old "Spotlight", the Marion Building (NW corner, Cahuenga and Selma) appears to now be the offices of Hollywood International Regional Center. Their website contains a video appeal, with an embarrassing amount of pandering, from now-mayor Eric Garcetti for Chinese investment in Hollywood:

gsv

Around the intersection of Selma and Wilcox, Mama Shelter (in the distance above) is open. Dream Hotel and the Mark Twain Hotel are coming along, but the Gilbert Hotel appears to be stuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post

HIRC

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Further afield, up on Hollywood Blvd. & Whitley

ebay

One of our traffic light enthusiasts has probably mentioned this before, but what are those red (orange?) speaker-like attachments at the top of the stop light?

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 7:00 PM

Thanks for the extra pictures of the Screen Actors Guild yesterday, Martin Pal, and to t2 for reminding me of their current location.

----------------

There's no address with today's Julius Shulman photoset, so I hope it's from the Clark Hotel on S Hill Street. It's "Job 348: Matcham and Heitschmidt, Clark Hotel, Downstairs' Grill, 1948".

Does anyone recognize the large naval ship on the wall?

I'd love to know the color of the stripey fabic on the ceiling.

All from Getty Research Institute

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 7:27 PM

Hotel Clark Grill Room

This one's dated 1914:

flickr

It looks like some of the 1914 chairs are in the 1948 photo.

...and I'd guess blue and white stripes on the tenting. That would look the most nautical.

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 7:40 PM

Quote:
This one's dated 1914:

flickr
A couple more:

When it was called "The Marine Room", 1946—you can just see the striped awnings. Looks like it's before they painted in the ship.

Then, after the war and the fascination for marinesqueries died off, it became the Orleans room, after the 1953 redesign by Wayne McAllister. Is that stained glass (or, more likely, backlit resin) where the ship was?

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 7:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Thanks for the extra pictures of the Screen Actors Guild yesterday, Martin Pal, and to t2 for reminding me of their current location.

----------------

Does anyone recognize the large naval ship on the wall?

That's a painting of the USS Los Angeles CA-135 ....Navy ship.

The third USS Los Angeles (CA-135) was a Baltimore class heavy cruiser, laid down by the Philadelphia Navy Yard, Philadelphia, on 28 July 1943 and launched on 20 August 1944.

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 9:00 PM

Quote:
I don't believe we've seen this impressive photograph on NLA. (I found it recently on ebay)

Does anyone know what that little shack is for on the right? -news stand? trolley-line related?

...and today.

GSV

It's heartening to see that all of Philippe's original signage is still intact.

__
That intersection appears to be Alameda and North Main. I don't see any traffic signals and that is a crossing of the SP and LARY. I would bet that was a crossing tender's shack that controlled the movement of the SP and LARY.

Paul C. Koehler

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 9:34 PM

Quote:
I just found this a few minutes ago on ebay. -It's somewhat of a strange looking make & model.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RPPC-LOS-ANG...item566f6300f6

There's more front than there is a back. (where are they suppose put the ladder? )

reverse

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RPPC-LOS-ANG...item566f6300f6

Off the top of my head I can't remember where Engine House #50 was located.

__
It's an American LaFrance closed cab pumper. No ladders, they were carried on the Truck.

Paul C. Koehler

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 10:03 PM

Los Angeles Architectural Club

Has anyone ever heard of this? It would be great to see some photos or a copy of the illustrated catalogue from the second exhibition:

Los Angeles Herald, Volume 34, Number 187, 6 April 1907

I can't quite imagine Jack Gill (then based in San Diego) and Elmer Grey on the same committee. At some point Grey called Gill's work "dangerous".

Los Angeles Herald, Volume 35, Number 232, 21 May 1908

The Herald mentions these exhibitions from 1907 to 1913.

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul C. Koehler View Post
That intersection appears to be Alameda and North Main. I don't see any traffic signals and that is a crossing of the SP and LARY. I would bet that was a crossing tender's shack that controlled the movement of the SP and LARY.

Paul C. Koehler
Paul, I think this same shack I commented on quite a while back when it showed up in a post by ER if anyone can find it. ER's photo was taken from a position across the street to the right.

Cheers,
Jack

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 10:38 PM

Los Angeles Architectural Club Year Books

Quote:
Has anyone ever heard of this? It would be great to see some photos or a copy of the illustrated catalogue from the second exhibition:

Los Angeles Herald, Volume 34, Number 187, 6 April 1907

I can't quite imagine Jack Gill (then based in San Diego) and Elmer Grey on the same committee. At some point Grey called Gill's work "dangerous".

Los Angeles Herald, Volume 35, Number 232, 21 May 1908

The Herald mentions these exhibitions from 1907 to 1913.
It's not quite what you're looking for, but the 1910-1913 Los Angeles Architectural Club year books are available online:

https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/007033665

Old Posted May 29, 2017, 11:02 PM

Thank you!

I dove right into those.

hathitrust

Last edited by tovangar2; May 30, 2017 at 5:08 AM.

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 3:41 AM

The 120th anniversary of an LA milestone will pass while you're sleeping tonight. The only noiry thing about it is it happened at 3am (although it was involved in many noirish doings in the intervening decades).

abc

Last edited by tovangar2; May 30, 2017 at 4:59 AM. Reason: better image for 1897 light levels

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 5:38 PM

Thanks for that, I've been sharing it with others today!

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wig-Wag View Post
Paul, I think this same shack I commented on quite a while back when it showed up in a post by ER if anyone can find it. ER's photo was taken from a position across the street to the right.

Cheers,
Jack
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=25425

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=25430

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 7:00 PM

This Julius Shulman photoset contains pictures of four different buildings, so I'm posting two today and two tomorrow. It's "Job 4714: Krisel/Shapiro Associates, miscellaneous buildings, 1971". The first image shows a building with Inter-Continental Computing Inc across the roof.

The second building doesn't have a visible company name, but the street number and street signs give the location away.

Both from Getty Research Institute

The first building is 4311 Wilshire Boulevard. Although I couldn't find any mention of "Inter-Continental Computing Inc", I did come across the "Intercontinental Computing Institute" in a 1969 newspaper and "Inter-Continental Computer Research" in the 1973 CD. The 1973 CD also shows many other tenants in the building:

LAPL

Here's the building now.

GSV

The second building is 2500 Wilshire Boulevard, which we've seen before. You can see Julius Shulman's pictures of the Mobil Station which used to stand on the site in post #32988. I've gone with a more recent "now" picture, still showing the Park Wilshire on the left.

GSV

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 8:04 PM

What was there....

4311 Wilshire: 637 S Windsor--moved from 616 South Hobart--was once on its parking lot...

More here: http://bit.ly/1SLtMAK

2500 Wilshire:

What wasn't there:

Full story here: http://bit.ly/2sb4gAd

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; May 30, 2017 at 8:28 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos