HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Aug 27, 2012, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGrail View Post
You're correct--they actually called it that every time the camera panned it. Not one mention of "World Trade Center" at all. I find that New Yorkers have become comfortable calling it the new world trade center, but I wonder if outside the area it's still universally "Freedom Tower."
Actually, I did hear him say "world Trade Center" only once. I believe it went along the lines of "A shot of the World Trade Center, in lower Manhattan".

Old Posted Aug 27, 2012, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
It might as well evolve into a nickname.
Although I don't care for the name "Freedom Tower," I suppose it could become analogous to calling the WTC the "Twin Towers" before 9/11. While "Freedom Tower" would obviously refer to 1WTC specifically, "World Trade Center" would be used to refer to the entire site. We probably won't hear it as often as we'd expect until at least 2WTC and 3WTC are built (and people will want to refer to the entire complex with one name). As long as the awful "Ground Zero" moniker fades away asap.

As for the original base/lobby design, it is definitely superior to what we have now (or rather, will be getting). I would feel far more comfortable with it.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2012, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatism415 View Post
Although I don't care for the name "Freedom Tower," I suppose it could become analogous to calling the WTC the "Twin Towers" before 9/11. While "Freedom Tower" would obviously refer to 1WTC specifically, "World Trade Center" would be used to refer to the entire site. We probably won't hear it as often as we'd expect until at least 2WTC and 3WTC are built (and people will want to refer to the entire complex with one name). As long as the awful "Ground Zero" moniker fades away asap.

As for the original base/lobby design, it is definitely superior to what we have now (or rather, will be getting). I would feel far more comfortable with it.
The nickname 'ground zero' faded away around 2009/2010ish. Thank god!

Old Posted Aug 27, 2012, 10:41 PM

Yah, I realized after the fact that it was a stupid idea but, I got my point across

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibears85 View Post
The nickname 'ground zero' faded away around 2009/2010ish. Thank god!
Agreed. But I still cringe when I hear it... It's worse than hearing "Freedom Tower."

There also seems to be a trend in calling it "The World Trade Center Site." Will the site suffix be dropped once this "site" is complete?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 4:28 PM
Crane Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
I am a New Yorker and me and other New Yorkers living in New York City call her One World Trade Center. That is her name.
It seems I'm not the only one who sees this tower as female!
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 11:23 PM

I've tried to hold my tongue thus far, but I can do so no longer: I can't wait for the "Freedom Tower" nickname to die; it may be better than the tactlessly anachronistic "Ground Zero", but it actually takes up more space on a front page than the simple and easy "1WTC". Its use also further equates the title of "World Trade Center" with 9/11–tragic and historic–while the World Trade Center is past, present, and future; a place of remembrance, but also of pride and joy. The media shamelessly perpetuates outdated and incorrect terminology.

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 2:41 AM
BANNED

(NY Post)

*SCREAMS* They're still calling it the Freedom tower.
Oh, the horror!

ONE WTC is far more classy.

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8pickingusernames View Post

Oh, the horror!

Well One WTC is the official name of the building. Freedom Tower is a corny nickname that I wish would go by the wayside, but the media will probably keep it alive...just like they still sometimes use the term "ground zero" for the current site, which is really annoying.

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 4:33 AM

Hate to burst your bubble ih8pickingusernames but here in New York everybody i know calls 1 wtc the freedom tower,its like the media hasn't been trying but i think the name is going to stick,like how once upon a time there was a bridge once called East River Bridge, now its called the Brooklyn Bridge.

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 4:44 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8pickingusernames View Post
(NY Post)

Oh, the horror!

Seriously?? You're upset over a name of the building? I for one wish it was still called the freedom tower. I'm proud of the freedom we have in America and thankful that we rebuilt this project. It's ashamed that the authorities don't see it that way.

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 5:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick989 View Post
Well One WTC is the official name of the building. Freedom Tower is a corny nickname that I wish would go by the wayside, but the media will probably keep it alive...just like they still sometimes use the term "ground zero" for the current site, which is really annoying.
I think for people outside of New York, they will all call it the Freedom Tower. Our paper here in Tennessee did as well. Even my friends said, they will always call it the Freedom Tower. With what took place on the site, I don't think the tower will ever lose that name.

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 5:35 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Just like the original WTC buildings were known colloquially as the Twin Towers, 1 WTC will always be known by most Americans as the Freedom Tower.

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 5:53 AM

Quote:
So because the building was officially named One WTC, you're saying that the authorities aren't proud of the freedom that we enjoy as Americans. That's some scholarly logic right there...
Did you depict what I said as a derogatory remark about freedom?

What I'm saying is I like the name freedom tower because of who we are as Americans. Not to mention the purpose of the building. I call the building 1 WTC all the time. However, I'm just thankful for what we have in this country. I don't see how one would misconstrued what I wrote. It's in simple English. Not fighting words to start a war over.

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 6:00 AM

Most of my Friends and colleagues here in Edmonton still refer to it as WTC....Freedom Tower seems a bit of the moment branding. Its a fine name. But WTC lives forever IMO.

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 9:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee fan for life View Post
Hate to burst your bubble ih8pickingusernames but here in New York everybody i know calls 1 wtc the freedom tower,its like the media hasn't been trying but i think the name is going to stick,like how once upon a time there was a bridge once called East River Bridge, now its called the Brooklyn Bridge.
Well me and everyone I know in New York call it One WTC because Freedom Tower is corny as fuck — plus, like anything else, if you have to say it over and over again its probably not true.

That said, I do appreciate the nickname/official name dynamic. It's fittingly familar. I also refused to call them the Twin Towers as a kid.

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 9:52 AM

both names are appropriate and if some/most/lots of New Yorkers call it Freedom Tower then that name will stick too and who are we non-New Yorkers to argue the point? I call it 1WTC but may start to filter in a few Freedom Tower references in too

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 2:11 PM

Quote:
the Ground Zero pisses me off.. but Freedom Tower is awesome.. it screams "screw you terrorists" and I hope it stays.. I still call it just the new World Trade Center. but its not wrong for people to call it Freedom Tower.

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 4:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire state of mind View Post
Seriously?? You're upset over a name of the building? I for one wish it was still called the freedom tower. I'm proud of the freedom we have in America and thankful that we rebuilt this project. It's ashamed that the authorities don't see it that way.
I never said I was angry
I just think "Freedom" tower is cheesy, thats all.

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 5:44 PM

This is most definitely Freedom Tower. You can't build 1 WTC without having a 2 WTC twin. They choose to go in a new direction and it's very clear that this is a one of a kind Freedom Tower, not a 1 world trade center missing its twin. Now as for the spire, well don't even get me started on that thing...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture