HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 8:45 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomuse View Post
Amsterdam, arguably the top bicycling city in the world (along with Copenhagen) has 214 rainy days per year. Yet, over 50% of people commute by bike. If you plan accordingly, anyone can make it work. For the heat, you just need to dress appropriately and do some basic hygiene rituals. Bring wipes with you and freshen up in the restroom. If your workplace has a shower, even better! The temperatures are much cooler during the morning rush hour so you deal less with the heat than during the day. When you're going home in the evening, it doesn't matter as much because you can take a shower at home.

As for the fact that Austin is so spread out, yes it's true. However Copenhagen is quite sprawly as well and like Amsterdam over 50% of the people get around by bike. Austin is constantly densifying so the urban landscape is improving
Copenhagen doesn't see 90 F or 100 F days four months each year. Copenhagen also has dedicated biking infrastructure. Not only are most bike lanes separated from traffic, they're also separated from pedestrians. Someone pedaling a bike can't actually achieve 20 mph without fear of being ran over by autos, but also without fear of running over pedestrians.
In Austin and Texas in general, you might see dedicated bike lanes marked on streets just by painted lines with little protection from autos, and you might see dedicated bike and pedestrian paths physically separated from autos, but not from pedestrians. We're a far ways from having dedicated, physically separated lanes, trails, or paths for all three modes.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 8:46 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Realignment number 1. It could be done and would cost a huge bundle and involve the acquisition of additional right of way. It should happen and would solve a lot of problems, but it won't happen. Let certain individuals who regularly post here tell you why it won't or can't happen. I have been in this discussion in the past and plan to sit this one out.
I'll say it:

It can't happen because it would shut down thru traffic on both highways for I'd assume three years. There has already been too much spent on the current interchange to turn back now... It's called "path dependence". Option 2 is much more feasible, but just as unlikely.

What is being ignored here is an option 3, and although this is also unlikely it is a hell of alot more likely than the other two: realign interstate 35 to connect San Marcos with the 45/130/183 interchange. This could be done relatively painlessly and similar rerouting has actually been done in other cities. And also note that this is only likely in the event that 45 SW is eventually built, given that it would effectively destroy any potential that 45 SE has for collecting tolls (the addition of SW would guarantee further revenue stream on SE). Note that is also harms 130 south of town.

As shown here:

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
Copenhagen doesn't see 90 F or 100 F days four months each year. Copenhagen also has dedicated biking infrastructure. Not only are most bike lanes separated from traffic, they're also separated from pedestrians. Someone pedaling a bike can't actually achieve 20 mph without fear of being ran over by autos, but also without fear of running over pedestrians.
In Austin and Texas in general, you might see dedicated bike lanes marked on streets just by painted lines with little protection from autos, and you might see dedicated bike and pedestrian paths physically separated from autos, but not from pedestrians. We're a far ways from having dedicated, physically separated lanes, trails, or paths for all three modes.

Copenhagen has on average 251 rainy days per year and for 6 months out of the year the average high temperature in Copenhagen is 49 degrees or below. When bicycling, rain is more of a deterrent than hot weather for most people.

Austin is working on building more separated bike lanes. There was an article the other day by the Statesman that covers information on a new one being constructed along 3rd St. downtown:

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/l...tection/nXSC5/

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Copenhagen has on average 251 rainy days per year and for 6 months out of the year the average high temperature in Copenhagen is 49 degrees or below. When bicycling, rain is more of a deterrent than hot weather for most people.

Austin is working on building more separated bike lanes. There was an article the other day by the Statesman that covers information on a new one being constructed along 3rd St. downtown:

I won't argue points about our infrastructure or plans for it, but biking in hot weather is much more pleasant than rainy or cold simply because you create your own breeze while biking. I would rather bike places when its hot then walk every time and I am more of a runner than bicyclist.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 4:25 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:

Working on it and having it already are two different things.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2013, 5:50 PM
Meh

I would absolutely rather ride in hot weather than cold. The thing about hot weather riding is, just wear less clothing. Sure, you'll still sweat when you've stopped and gotten to your location, but then you can change into your work clothes or a change of casual clothes.

Riding in cold weather sucks because you have to dress warm when you start off, otherwise you'll be miserably cold and could have some cramping. However, as you stop your body is warmed up to a certain point and you'll sweat after stopping. This sucks in the wintertime when you've dressed warm for the cold weather, but then sweat in your warm clothes after entering a building. What's worse is going inside when the heat is on.

I'd have to say the best temperatures to ride in (my experience) is 65F to 80F. That's sort of the range that you can get away with wearing shorts and not being too cool, but also not getting too warm or needing pants or a long sleeve shirt. I like to wear a button up shirt over my t-shirt, and either button it up or leave it open depending on how cool it is. Then I can take it off and ride with a t-shirt if I get too warm. My torso tends to get cold first.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 5:57 AM

City ponders leasing airport to raise rail cash

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/l...il-cash/nXXGH/

and yes, I'd rather bike in hot weather than cold and dreary.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 9:54 AM
Meh

Besides the reasons I mentioned, I have one more. I have asthma and cold weather has always bothered me more than hot. I can go on a 25 to 30 mile bike ride in triple digits with no problem, but 10 miles in cold weather makes me miserable. The cold air rushing into my lungs makes it hard to breathe.

Anyway, about that urban rail plan, I think a better first route would be to have it go to the airport. It would improve traffic on 71, 183, and I-35, and would encourage the urban development the city wants to see happen along Riverside Drive.

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Apr 25, 2013 at 10:15 AM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 10:52 AM
CIA since 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Besides the reasons I mentioned, I have one more. I have asthma and cold weather has always bothered me more than hot. I can go on a 25 to 30 mile bike ride in triple digits with no problem, but 10 miles in cold weather makes me miserable. The cold air rushing into my lungs makes it hard to breathe.

Anyway, about that urban rail plan, I think a better first route would be to have it go to the airport. It would improve traffic on 71, 183, and I-35, and would encourage the urban development the city wants to see happen along Riverside Drive.
Thanks, Rusty.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 11:58 AM
Meh

Heh. That started out as a joke. Rusty Shackleford being Dale Gribble's alias. Of course I went and misspelled it.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 3:34 PM

City planning needs student involvement

Published on April 24, 2013 at 11:59 pm
Last update on April 25, 2013 at 2:24 am
BY THE DAILY TEXAN EDITORIAL BOARD

Quote:
Going to school in the center of an exciting and growing city makes the UT experience unique among Texas’ public universities. But along with growth come growing pains — traffic, most notably — which cause the glamour of urban life to fade. To make Austin more accessible and to keep pace with comparably sized cities, we need a rail transit system that can effectively and efficiently connect the densest and most vibrant parts of the city, and students need to be involved in the planning that is necessary to make this happen.

On April 24 Student Government unanimously approved a resolution that asks the city to better involve students in the planning process to bring the city just such a rail line.

The resolution raises concerns about a 2012 proposal that planned for rail to run through the UT campus along San Jacinto Boulevard, a route that is too far from the density of activity and residents along the western edge of campus. The resolution endorses a rail line along or near Guadalupe that would “directly serve students in their home communities, by building through the heart of residential student density.”
Do you think that the student body will sway route decisions?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2013, 4:07 PM

Quote:
CapMetro ServicePlan2020 Report in 2010; 1/26-1/27:

http://www.capmetro.org/sp2020/

"...the two areas of the city with the highest concentration of population (16,001 to 20,000 people per square mile) are located in the area surrounding the University of Texas Campus (Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, San Jacinto Blvd, 30th Street and Lamar Blvd) and along Riverside Drive where numerous multi-family housing complexes are located."

Austin Chamber of Commerce Density Map:

http://www.austinchamber.com/do-busi...-no-border.jpg

Old Posted Apr 28, 2013, 4:03 PM

Quote:

The cost of owning and operating a vehicle in Europe is much higher than in the US, that leads people to all forms of alternative transportation. Licensing requirements are also much higher, insurance and fuel costs factor in greatly to the increased costs of ownership.

Austin also isn't "cool" in the morning during the heart of summer, I could work up a sweat walking out to my car. In the summer the motorcycle stayed in the garage and the top stayed up on the car. Our previous office out on Research had a shower and we had many who commuted by bicycle but when we moved to The Domain they lost the shower and the bicycle commuting tapered off. If you want to encourage bicycle commuting the room to store bicycles and a shower facility is almost a necessity, I know whenever we did development proposals in Austin or San Antonio we always tried to include that in the plans.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 3:42 AM
Meh

This says it would generate $4 billion in property tax revenue.

Plan to sink I-35 underground in downtown Austin

Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 4:22 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

So awesome. Even has the old East Avenue on top like I had mentioned.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 8:38 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Here is a pdf from Sinclair Black. Not sure how old it is.

http://nlnpt.org/IH-35downunder.pdf

Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 9:00 PM

It estimates $929 million new property tax revenue over 25 years and that is based on the 2012 property tax rates, so it can't be that old.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 9:09 PM
Meh

Someone in the comments section had said it would be too expensive and take too long. Actually I've watched the construction on Texas 71 at Riverside where they're building an underpass for Riverside there. They've made a lot of progress with that. They basically have all the digging finished. That stretch of 71 is about the same distance as what they would be doing with I-35, and it's about the same width also.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Someone in the comments section had said it would be too expensive and take too long. Actually I've watched the construction on Texas 71 at Riverside where they're building an underpass for Riverside there. They've made a lot of progress with that. They basically have all the digging finished. That stretch of 71 is about the same distance as what they would be doing with I-35, and it's about the same width also.
I've noticed that toll roads get built considerably faster than "free" roads. Does anybody have a theory why?

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2013, 11:52 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
I've noticed that toll roads get built considerably faster than "free" roads. Does anybody have a theory why?
Before toll roads are built, they sell enough bonds the build the entire proposed tollway. The entire project is built at once. They start building free roads as the tax revenues are collected. Therefore, new free highways are built piecemeal. That's why toll roads seem to be built faster.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin