HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post
Really bad news considering it's the middle of winter, historically the least murderous period of the year.
I don't think that matters for LA like Chicago or something.
But yeah, bad start for sure.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 6:58 PM

Yes, probably doesn't apply to LA but definitely applies in Philadelphia. Also, it's painfully obvious that this is a national trend. It's not as if only the warmer cities are seeing an uptick, which could have potentially been blamed on the milder weather and people being more willing to walk outside and kill someone in warmer climes.

Just like the poor people that AOC supports when they murder someone. When normal people are struggling they resort to murder, obviously. /s

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 7:26 PM

Toronto at 2 homicides as at today.

That's down 1 from this time last year.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 7:41 PM
Meh

Exclamation

People, this thread is not the place to hash out your political views. This thread is for compiling data, not complaining about the results of it or blaming "the other side" for it.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
I don’t think is taboo talking about single moms. Ann Coulter and other conservative pundits have been talking about this for age.

However, I find very troubling (and sexist) to single out “single moms” as if they were the problem. For every single mom raising a child alone, there is an absent father that don’t even show up. So instead of focusing on “single moms”, absent dads that should be targeted as part of the problem.
10000000000%

Deadbeat dads are sick, sick people. My girlfriend's sister is dealing with one right now and I have yet to understand the mentality of a "man" abandoning their kids. It's unthinkable.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 3:40 AM

Carjackings are out of control in Chicago, as are every other crime.

33 murders as of a few hours ago for 2021.

A carjacking happened outside my apartment 3 days ago, minutes after I went inside from walking my dog(got the notification while I still had my jacket on). About three hours ago a man was robbed in a fried chicken store 1 block from me and a lady was robbed at the train station 2 blocks from me about 3 hours ago. Two carjackings happened within a 30-minute walk of me within the last 6 hours.

Oh, and I live in a "safe" area. I can't imagine what the families living in Austin, Englewood, or any other out of control place are thinking right now. Thank God over 200,000 black Chicagoans left from 2000-2014. They were lucky and I hope every damn one of the families that live in those warzones find a way to protect their kids and leave.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
People, this thread is not the place to hash out your political views. This thread is for compiling data, not complaining about the results of it or blaming "the other side" for it.
Compiling data to do what with? Are these not discussion forums where people may have alternative views as to what is behind the data?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 8:05 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
Compiling data to do what with? Are these not discussion forums where people may have alternative views as to what is behind the data?
The data can be compiled and shared here, and it can be debated in another thread and many others (as I'm sure it will be). I don't think people want to have to wade through X number of pages of political stuff to retrieve the data for their posts.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2021, 8:09 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

nyc ytd as of jan 17, 2021

murder
2021 = 17
2020 = 12
%chg = 41.7%

shootings up 14.9%
car thefts up 12.3%

every other category is down though -- burglary, assault, rape, etc.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 4:14 AM
Meh

2020 was the highest murder year for Austin since 1991, and we've already beat January 2020 for the number of murders with one more. Wednesday, a doctor was held hostage in her office by another doctor who had asked to volunteer there. They declined to offer a position to him. He had terminal cancer and had been told he had a week to live. That's what the news reported anyway. He tied up several other people there before letting them go, but he shot her and then himself.

2021 Austin Metro Murders

| Austin 5 | Travis Co. 5 | Bastrop Co. 0 | Caldwell Co. 0 | Hays Co. 1 | Williamson Co. 1 | Metro 7 |

Causes metrowide
Shooting - 7
Stabbing - 0
Strangled - 0
Suffocation - 0
Throwing (of child) - 0
Beating - 0
Vehicular homicide - 0
Blunt force trauma - 0
Sharp force trauma - 0
Unlisted cause - 0
Domestic terrorism - 0

Austin totals
Downtown - 0
Central Austin - 1
East Austin - 0
North Austin - 1
Northeast Austin - 1
Northwest Austin - 0
South Austin - 1
Southeast Austin - 1
Southwest Austin - 0
West Austin - 0

Victims
Male - 5
Female - 1
Unlisted - 1

| Jan 7 | Feb 0 | Mar 0 | Apr 0 | May 0 | Jun 0 | Jul 0 | Aug 0 | Sep 0 | Oct 0 | Nov 0 | Dec 0 |

-

| Mon 2 | Tue 1 | Wed 0 | Thur 1 | Fri 1 | Sat 2 | Sun 0 |

-

Murder cases
Code:
1 dead - https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/suspect-charged-with-capital-murder-after-man-was-found-dead-in-round-rock/?utm_campaign=alert_bar&utm_source=side_bullets - Round Rock shooting - 1/9

1 dead - https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/one-person-dead-after-shooting-in-northeast-austin - Austin shooting - 1/11

1 dead - http://www.austintexas.gov/news/homicide-5000-brighton-road - Austin shooting - 1/18

1 dead - https://www.statesman.com/story/news/2021/01/22/hays-county-sheriffs-office-investigating-apparent-shooting/6681601002/ - Buda shooting - 1/21

1 dead - https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/man-killed-after-shootout-between-two-groups-at-north-austin-complex-police-say/ - Austin shooting - 1/23

2 dead - http://www.austintexas.gov/news/homicide-1912-w-35th-street - Austin shooting - 1/26

1 dead - https://www.kxan.com/news/crime/one-person-dead-after-shooting-in-north-austin/?fbclid=IwAR2QlQlGL89M9QlIMXNDSAU9spvMEhu31Cpqo8Jsl-tQaPXWOlrPLuNNY4o - Austin shooting - 1/29
-

Pending cases

Code:
-
Austin area population

City: 964,254 (July 1, 2018 estimate) - source: US Census Bureau
Travis County: 1,273,954 (July 1, 2019 estimate) - source: US Census Bureau
Metro: 2,227,083 (July 1, 2019 estimate) - source: US Census Bureau

Area - City: 297 square miles (2010) - US Census Bureau
Area - Metro: 4,285 square miles - Wikipedia
Area - Travis County: 1,023 square miles - Wikipedia

-

Previous years

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Jan 30, 2021 at 8:47 AM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 2:45 PM

Terrible in Columbus. Two more murders brings the city total to 20 homicides so far this month. A very bad start to the year for Cbus. I don't know why it is so bad right now.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 3:32 PM

^^You don't? It seems pretty obvious at this point that the country has taken a violent turn due to a variety of perfect storm factors. It's nationwide, large cities that are seeing drops in murder rates are the exception.

Philadelphia is at 41 as of January 27th.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 9:35 PM

I believe Portland has 5 murders so far this year, only 1 of which has resulted in an official arrest of a suspect. That's exceedingly bad for a January (usually a slow month; sometimes with zero murders in recent years), and would put the city on pace for a record-breaking year.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 9:51 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ 5 homicides for the whole city ain't so bad.

Here in chicago we have mere neighborhoods with more murders than that. Garfield Park on the west side (~37,000 people) has already logged 6 homicides so far this year.

Extrapolated out to a year, that would be a homicide rate of nearly 200 per 100K!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^ 5 homicides for the whole city ain't so bad.

Here in chicago we have mere neighborhoods with more murders than that. Garfield Park on the west side (~37,000 people) has already logged 6 homicides so far this year.

Extrapolated out to a year, that would be a homicide rate of nearly 200 per 100K!
I hear ya that Chicago is even more challenged.

But I don't think that makes 5 murders in 4 weeks a decent number for a City of 645,000.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 1:13 AM

Toronto now at 3 murders.

Down 2 from this time last year.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 5:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post
^^You don't? It seems pretty obvious at this point that the country has taken a violent turn due to a variety of perfect storm factors. It's nationwide, large cities that are seeing drops in murder rates are the exception.

Philadelphia is at 41 as of January 27th.
If it were ten or twelve, even 15 I would not have been so shocked, but this is unprecedented in January for here. At this rate the total for the city for this year would be over 250 which is more than double the normal number in the last few years. Last year was 175(record high), the years before that were 104, 118, and 152. I am just hoping this month is some kind of anomaly, because if this rate keeps up with 20 murders a month... damn!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 2:50 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddguy View Post
If it were ten or twelve, even 15 I would not have been so shocked, but this is unprecedented in January for here. At this rate the total for the city for this year would be over 250 which is more than double the normal number in the last few years. Last year was 175(record high), the years before that were 104, 118, and 152. I am just hoping this month is some kind of anomaly, because if this rate keeps up with 20 murders a month... damn!
It's the name of your city that is the problem!

Just kidding...

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddguy View Post
Terrible in Columbus. Two more murders brings the city total to 20 homicides so far this month. A very bad start to the year for Cbus. I don't know why it is so bad right now.
I'm really surprised by this. I always think of Columbus as being a white collar government town. Why so high?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 9:21 PM
E pluribus unum

It's also a gigantic college town. Not sure if that plays a factor?

If so, how? The number of homicides in Columbus in January 2021 is, nevertheless, absurdly high...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions