HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 13, 2014, 10:07 PM

The Surprising Shock of the New in Rotterdam, Holland

Quote:
The skyline is not the only thing that's changing in Rotterdam - an experimental restaurant, a colossal market hall, a floating forest and a UNESCO World Heritage 20's tobacco factory, are just some of the new kids on the block.

Rotterdam always seems to be hiding in the shadow of its sibling, Amsterdam, but for my money it has far more to offer. Although its historic centre was obliterated by Nazi bombs on a fateful night in WW2, it's managed to rise from the ashes and the result is an invigorating and inspiring city. Don't forget that it's also a major port and its cosmopolitan population gives it a multi-cultural edge, reflected in its food and arts. Fortunately, the Germans couldn't destroy the waterways and it's always a pleasure to turn a street corner and come across yet another canal.

I visit the city every year, usually for the North Sea Jazz Festival, and I'm always pleasantly surprised by changes on the skyline. The most recent addition is De Rotterdam - what they call a vertical city on the Wilhelmina Pier, right next to the cruise terminal. It occupies a footprint the size of a football field, yet its 6 randomly stacked blocks reach 150 meters, overlooking the water. It's in good company, joining the towers of Montevideo by Mecanoo, Norman Foster's World Port Centre and Renzo Piano's KPN building, right next to the Erasmus Bridge.

Markthal
I always enjoy shopping at the city centre market in Binnenrotte which always has a wide range of cheese, fish, bread and meat. Surinam vegetables, Vietnamese spring rolls, exotic herbs and fruit make it a multi-cultural destination but it's only open on Tuesdays and Saturdays.

That's all set to change as they've been building a futuristic covered Market Hall close by and this is set to open in the autumn. It'll be a permanent home to more than 100 fresh produce stalls, plus flower and plant vendors. On the 1st floor there'll be food shops and restaurants and even a cookery school. This is a welcome overdue addition to the outdoor market.

The Bobbing Forest
Just across from De Rotterdam, Colombian artist, Jorge Bakker, is creating his Bobbing Forest in the disused harbour basin of Rijnhaven. The idea is that 20 trees, placed in buoys, will increase the green space of the inner city. And, of course, research has shown that the only tree that can root and grow in the buoys is the Dutch Elm.

At the moment the prototype tree is being tested and monitored and the plan is to populate the Rijnhaven in 2015. I look forward to my next visit to Rotterdam, not just to see the Bobbing Forest but everything else that is new - I'm sure I won't be disappointed.
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/rupe...b_5650231.html

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 12:56 AM

Amazing. I love the .NL. If only we had something similar on this side of the pond.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 7:48 AM

I have a friend here in London from Rotterdam but have never actually been (only to Amsterdam (several times), surroundings (eg, Hilversum), sailing up in Friesland and down in Maastricht (if that counts).

Meaning to head over for a weekend at some point.

Also #10 here

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ces-to-go.html

Old Posted Aug 14, 2014, 3:16 PM
Never Dell

The floating forest thing is cool, but I wish HuffPo would learn how to use commas.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 5:19 PM

Hahaha, I didn't even notice that!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 8:53 PM

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 3:35 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

Is Rotterdam the birthplace of "that kind of modern architecture where the windows are random sizes and staggered and everything is orange or dark gray", or something?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2014, 7:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
The floating forest thing is cool, but I wish HuffPo would learn how to use commas.
They also should learn how to use hyphens. They should have an en dash in the subheading instead of a hyphen.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 10:16 AM
Red October standing by

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
Is Rotterdam the birthplace of "that kind of modern architecture where the windows are random sizes and staggered and everything is orange or dark gray", or something?

-

-fflint

Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 4:29 AM
Babylon falling

Very good article, Rotterdam seems to be on a roll and really embracing vertical growth. Do you have any more good pics Shiro?

Old Posted Aug 24, 2014, 9:50 AM

Not me, but check this:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=212902
(freshly posted)

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 11:14 AM

Great report by CNN about the Rotterdam Market Hall.

http://edition.cnn.com/videos/tv/201...m-markthal.cnn

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 7:27 AM

Was in Rotterdam two years ago. The Dutch did an incredible job in rebuilding the city, and the diversity is wonderful. As the saying goes, "God created the world, but the Dutch created Holland."

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 1:36 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

lots of architectural inspiration here. its always a pleasure to see what the dutch are up to with urban living.

Old Posted May 9, 2015, 4:51 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I was in Rotterdam with a certain SSP forumer

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions