HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
This Manchester guy is starting to get on my nerves. Is he incompetent? The whole project is starting to seem truly Sarwalian. I mean, I kind of feel for him because, before J.W. Marriott swooped in and took the rig out from under him, he had a great sell to investors. Now, he's stuck with this project he still wants to build but is having to advertize as a competitor, rather than the standard. He should just move on from this pipe dream of his and build what he can get financing for. Either that, or sell the property to UT so that it can build a replacement for the Erwin Center. But I have a feeling he's just going to keep stringing us along because he's too egotistical to settle for just building a normal-sized hotel.
You'd probably need more than a few of those fairmont sized lots to build an Erwin center...

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 9:15 PM
Meh

Quote:
Either that, or sell the property to UT so that it can build a replacement for the Erwin Center.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysmiling View Post
You'd probably need more than a few of those fairmont sized lots to build an Erwin center...
Yeah, that block is no where near big enough for an arena. The Erwin Center is 390 feet in diameter. That block is 275x275 feet.

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Sep 5, 2014 at 9:30 PM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2014, 10:51 PM

It doesn't have to be the size of the Erwin Center. I want them to build a smaller, cozier arena just for UT sports. But you're right, it's probably not big enough even for that. Though I think there was some talk about that lot being a candidate before this Manchester business.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 4:50 AM

Quote:
It doesn't have to be the size of the Erwin Center. I want them to build a smaller, cozier arena just for UT sports.
A remodel of Gregory would accomplish that.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2014, 6:11 AM
BANNED

I really appreciate this Forum. It keeps me up to date with a lot of the things that are happening in Austin. Unfortunately, The American Statesman has blacked out all the news that former Austinites would like to keep up with, and that kind of riles me. I mean if you come from Minneapolis, Atlanta, LA, Seattle, Philadelphia or Chicago, you can actually READ in their newspapers about what's going on, but outside of the Austin Chronicle, which is good for SXSW and things like that, this is where I can keep up the most about what average people like to know about what's happening back home. Thanks, guys! At least you don't charge me for keeping up!

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 7:33 PM

I was driving down Cesar Chavez and a truck with a trailer hauling construction equipment, I think it was a Bobcat dozer, turned right behind me and entered the lot.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digatisdi View Post
I was driving down Cesar Chavez and a truck with a trailer hauling construction equipment, I think it was a Bobcat dozer, turned right behind me and entered the lot.
It's there to remove the signs, a friend at Sunbelt Rentals told me. (joking!!!)

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 9:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digatisdi View Post
You know, in a way, it might just be a good idea if Manchester blows this. Being across the street from Waller Place and right next door to the Convention Center, you KNOW that something awesome will be built here, some day! (Like maybe a new and improved Museum Hotel and Residences)

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 9:48 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by pscajunguy View Post
You know, in a way, it might just be a good idea if Manchester blows this. Being across the street from Waller Place and right next door to the Convention Center, you KNOW that something awesome will be built here, some day! (Like maybe a new and improved Museum Hotel and Residences)
The people behind that former project were development neophytes, just fyi. We're much better off with Manchester.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
The people behind that former project were development neophytes, just fyi. We're much better off with Manchester.
The developer of Museum Tower was Hines. I've never heard Hines referred to as a 'development neophyte!' Ha!

http://www.hines.com/development/

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 10:35 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
The developer of Museum Tower was Hines. I've never heard Hines referred to as a 'development neophyte!' Ha!

http://www.hines.com/development/
Wrong project bro. He's talking about an Austin project called Museum Tower that was planned for this exact site about 8 years ago that was moved, downscaled, downscaled further, and then completely collapsed and was being developed by a very small firm out of Louisville, KY called 21C.

Hines was behind the Dallas project called Museum Tower and is definitely not a neophyte, but that project and that firm have no relation at all to what is being discussed here.

YMMV.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 10:39 PM

I don't care who is talking about which project, but just to clarify, there were two "museum tower" projects pre-recession. 21c of course, and the Hines project which was to be developed with AMOA on the future Travis Co. courthouse site I believe.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 10:43 PM
Meh

Quote:
Wrong project bro. He's talking about an Austin project called Museum Tower that was planned for this exact site about 8 years ago that was moved, downscaled, downscaled further, and then completely collapsed and was being developed by a very small firm out of Louisville, KY called 21C.

Hines was behind the Dallas project called Museum Tower and is definitely not a neophyte, but that project and that firm have no relation at all to what is being discussed here.

YMMV.
You're right, but I think AusTxDevelopment was referring to another "Museum Tower" in Austin on what is now the county courthouse block. It was a 30-story office tower with a new home for the Austin Museum of Art at its base. Hines was the developer.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 10:44 PM
Rundberg & I35

The 21c Museum Tower was proposed for where Waller Park Place is being developed. The Museum Tower by Hines was proposed for where the Travis County courthouse is being developed.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East7thStreet View Post
The 21c Museum Tower was proposed for where Waller Park Place is being developed. The Museum Tower by Hines was proposed for where the Travis County courthouse is being developed.
Yes, and given the particular parcel both pscajunguy and I were talking about, it was clear the context was about the 21C Museum Tower not the AMOA Tower.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:

YMMV.
Oops, sorry dude, my bad. I saw "Museum Hotel" in pscajunguy's post and read "Museum Tower" by mistake. I was talking about the Hines Museum Tower/AMOA building across from Republic Square. I should have realized it wasn't the same building when Waller and the convention center were mentioned, but I had a brain fart.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 11:17 PM

Here's the old renderings of the 21C Museum Hotel - first on Brazos and then on Waller (which I had totally forgotten about):

Source: AustinTowers.net

And here's the rendering for Hines' Museum Tower, which I was a big fan of when it was announced in 2008. You'd think it would be hard to get the two mixed up - I guess I need a nap (or a beer).

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 11:26 PM

Personally I loved both the AMOA and original 21C towers.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 12:06 AM
Meh

The first 21C proposal is still one of my favorite designs that had been planned for Austin. It's really the one I hate that didn't happen.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
The first 21C proposal is still one of my favorite designs that had been planned for Austin. It's really the one I hate that didn't happen.
Ditto. I will say I feel similarly about AMOA, about the Planetarium tower, about the original 7RIO, and about T. Stacey.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin