HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 10:20 PM

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 10:33 PM

bringing campuses downtown can do miracles to the streetlife and attractiveness of the area, its been a great thing the province has been doing over the last few years. (Brantford recently got a new satellite campus as well and it has done miracles to the life of their downtown)

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 4:33 AM

Downtown Windsor needs a miracle!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 11:35 PM
ARTchitecture

Wow that new U of W campus looks friggin sweet.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 2:09 AM

Windsor may be getting another bar... BUT IT IS A NEW DOWNTOWN BUILDING.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 9:43 AM

I never thought I'd read about a new building being built in that spot and that it would be a new building being built for a bar...

I'm glad to see the whole along Ouellette filled up but I'm dissapointed it's a bar. I mean it's going to be adjacent to a bar that has SAT EMPTY SINCE THE FIRE TOOK PLACE THAT RUINED THE BUILDING THEY'RE REPLACING. So I don't have my hopes up for anything.

It would be ideal if we could see some retail pop up downtown.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 12:32 PM

This is gonna be a nice addition to DT. It's an upscale restaurant and club, not a bar, so I have no problem with it. It's gonna have balconies, a rooftop patio, and a modern design, something DT needs badly. These are the kinds of businesses we need in the core, like the City Grill, something to attract people from all over the region. The kiddie bar scene is pretty small now with many of them are closing down and opening as lounges and pubs instead. I'm just so happy that that awful lot is gonna be filled!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symz View Post
I never thought I'd read about a new building being built in that spot and that it would be a new building being built for a bar...

I'm glad to see the whole along Ouellette filled up but I'm dissapointed it's a bar. I mean it's going to be adjacent to a bar that has SAT EMPTY SINCE THE FIRE TOOK PLACE THAT RUINED THE BUILDING THEY'RE REPLACING. So I don't have my hopes up for anything.

It would be ideal if we could see some retail pop up downtown.
That bar that sat empty has been under renovations for the last couple of years, I see people working in there from time to time. The owner didn't have a lot of money so it's taking time to finish, and hopefully it will also open in time.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 12:06 AM

Paul Martin Sr. Building may be razed if a buyer cannot be found: http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2014/03...ays-mp-watson/

Old Posted Mar 24, 2014, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Paul Martin Sr. Building may be razed if a buyer cannot be found: http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2014/03...ays-mp-watson/
Fuck the Feds, this is so disgusting.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 12:35 PM

Nice to see work progressing on the DT U windsor campus. Hopefully they start on the other two locations soon!

http://windsorite.ca/2014/03/tremend...wntown-campus/

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 4:32 PM

My interest in downtown comes and goes. For every 1 good thing that might be happening it seems there's 2 or 3 things that happen that aren't good.

Chatham st. west is an abandoned mess, lots of empty businesses. Chatham and Pitt west of the aquatic centre is now isolated and cut off from downtown. Ouellette south of Wyandotte is a mess as well. Pitt west of Ouellette is vacant all along the Canderel building. Goyeau south of the tunnel is run down. Now the Paul Martin building fiasco.

Ugh. Downtown is still a lost cause.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 5:20 PM

A few weeks ago I was reading about Valente realty was wanting to build some 3 story condo/apartment complexes on Wyandotte East, across from the plaza where Nick the Greek's is. Anyways, Mr. Valente went before council to ask to have development fees lowered or waved. City council denied Mr. Valente saying if they lowered development fees for him, others would expect it as well, and that growth has to pay for growth.

This got me thinking. Since downtown Windsor is always such a problem and we're always throwing government money at it, and that's the only thing that seems to stick and yet downtown is still as crippled as it's always been.

Why doesn't the city follow a city like London, who's strategy, although some might say slow, seems to be working to intensify and densify their downtown. Why doesn't the city of Windsor completely wave development fees for residential development in the downtown core.

In my opinion, downtown is still struggling and will continue to struggle until we can get some residential intensification in the core. Without people living in the core commercial businesses will continue to struggle.

It's time Windsor started thinking and doing differently, and possibly following other cities ideas that seem to be working.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 5:51 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symz View Post
My interest in downtown comes and goes. For every 1 good thing that might be happening it seems there's 2 or 3 things that happen that aren't good.

Chatham st. west is an abandoned mess, lots of empty businesses. Chatham and Pitt west of the aquatic centre is now isolated and cut off from downtown. Ouellette south of Wyandotte is a mess as well. Pitt west of Ouellette is vacant all along the Canderel building. Goyeau south of the tunnel is run down. Now the Paul Martin building fiasco.

Ugh. Downtown is still a lost cause.
I don't feel it's a lost cause, it's slowly transforming and is much better today than it was even 5 years ago. It's peoples attitudes about DT that hurt it's efforts to transform and diversify. I have a lot of hope that it will continue to get better and grow eventually. I do wish the city would drop development fees for DT as well, as it would be the needed extra push for developers to look to the core as a serious option when planning developements.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 6:10 PM

North42, if I wasn't hopefull I wouldn't be on this site. It's just sometimes it's hard to keep the chin up regarding Windsor because it seems like we're stuck in time. Almost all development that has occured downtown in the last 15 years has been government money. The city needs to do more to spur private development.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 5:01 AM

415 Ouellette

The Windsor Star has an article talking about the new bar someone wants to build on Ouellette.

Click the source link for the full article.

source: http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2014/04...o-parking-lot/

Here are some interesting points from the article that stood out.

Quote:
The plans also include a walkway from the city parking structure on Pelissier down to Ouellette Avenue that, interestingly, would not force the users to walk through either the bars or the restaurant.

“It’s working together with the city structure to provide sort of a shortcut to Ouellette,” Azar said.
Quote:
By far the most salient feature of the project is the fourth floor rooftop patio, he said. The rendering shows a 14-foot-deep cantilevered balcony which juts out over the sidewalk all the way to the property line.

“They’re committed to a certain wow factor,” Azar said of his clients. From the rooftop, guests can get a clear view of the waterfront and survey the buzz of Ouellette Avenue below.

A restaurant is planned for the ground floor while the second and third storeys will house a two-floor nightclub.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 12:34 PM

Looks and sounds great! This is just what we need in the core, high end and interesting design! plus it gets rid of that awful empty lot where the fire was! Very excited!
PS, the Krazy Horse is still being worked on inside, I see them in there a lot lately. Hopefully it will, open soon as well.

Last edited by north 42; Apr 4, 2014 at 1:31 PM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 5:13 PM

The building looks ok. The rendering looks a bit cheesy/tacky with the red, but maybe it's just the rendering.

It's really too bad that they can't lure more residential development downtown, and then we'd probably see some more commercial follow. Honestly we don't really need another bar downtown, we need to diversify the downtown.

I understand the U of W projects and the already completed St. Clair projects also serve to diversify the downtown scene, but c'mon already Windsor, lets get some real incentives to get developers to build residential downtown. I feel without the residential intensification downtown will continue to flutter along slowly, seemingly gaining no real ground in the battle to get downtown going again.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2014, 6:49 PM

I like the design, especially the bright red! DT needs more interesting colour and design in its buildings, and I think this build will achieve that. Ouellette Ave. will look much brighter and modern, and any high end establishment will be a compliment to DT at this point.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2014, 9:45 PM

Definitely more residential is needed in the core. All of the residential buildings there are over 25 years old. The thing about Windsor is that single-family homes are so inexpensive so the market for high-end condos just isn't there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario