HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 11:23 PM

^
at least the air quality in that part of town will improve...

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 3:35 AM

Lear plant demolition planned
Site might be redeveloped for a hotel, shopping and apartments
The Windsor Star: Friday, August 22, 2008

London-based developer Shmuel Farhi will demolish the former Lear Corporation plant on Lauzon Road this fall, clearing the way for a massive development that could top $100 million and include a hotel, restaurants, retail outlets, apartment towers and senior-citizen residences.

Farhi, who owns much of downtown London through Farhi Holdings Corp., which has real estate assets of more than $500 million across Ontario, confirmed in a phone interview that he's finalizing plans to tear down the sprawling 43-year-old factory, with demolition beginning as early as October, and is working on longterm development plans for the 60-acre site that could, over the long haul, exceed 500,000 square feet and would benefit from close proximity to the city's WFCU Arena complex.

"It would complement the great work the city has done. I see mixed use. Commercial. Anything and everything we can build there. We can do whatever. I have to see what we can place next to it (the arena)," said the Israeli-born dynamo who presides over a property empire that includes more than four million square feet of office, retail, commercial and residential space at more than 100 locations across Ontario.

If someone were to indicate an interest in buying a piece of that 60 acres, Farhi said he would consider it. "If we have to sever a few acres, sure." He said he's been in discussions with hotel firms that could build and operate a hotel.

Farhi acquired the 100-acre Lear property in 2005 for $8 million. In the fall of 2006 he traded 40 acres of land behind the Lear plant to the city for the arena, in exchange for a prime 1.1-acre site west of the Art Gallery of Windsor plus $1.5 million in cash.

He said it will cost him more than $1 million to demolish the 719,000-square-foot factory. An offspring of the Autopact, it opened as the GM trim plant in November 1965 and once boasted more than 2,500 employees. Lear ended production on June 6 and, according to Farhi, is currently removing stock that can be used in its other factories.

Farhi, perhaps London's most colourful citizen, a born kidder and part owner of a camel farm in southern Israel who jokes about his great future as a Canadian camel importer, said he's been "talking to many different contractors" but would especially like to work with the Collavino family, owners of PCR Contractors, which is building the WFCU Centre.

"They're good people. A great family. I hope they're going to take a good part of that looking forward," he said.
"I can see eventually 60 acres being developed ... the equivalent of an entire downtown."

Asked about the risks of investing in a city rocked by economic misery, including a disastrous real estate market, Farhi sounded unperturbed. He said Windsor has obvious advantages, including being located next to the U.S., an attractive setting on a beautiful river and a "straight-shooter" mayor and council who are pro-development and able to see potential in the city's candidly admitted problems.

"This city went through tremendous hits with the car industry. We need to bring something new to Windsor," said Farhi. He said the proposed downtown marina and canal, now the subject of a feasibility study to which he contributed $25,000, is "a genius idea" and exactly the kind of thinking Windsor needs. "This is the most interesting plan I've seen in any community in this country."

Farhi said the Lear plant's demise is part of a transition in the east end. "This area changes from industrial to future commercial and residential."

As for the feared traffic bottlenecks this winter during Spitfire games at the WFCU Centre, Farhi said that won't happen. "Don't worry. I'll give them what they need," he said referring to the thousands of former Lear parking spaces.

Mayor Francis said it's "bittersweet news" that the plant is being demolished. "My first priority would be to have a plant open and people working." But it's better, he agreed, to have redevelopment in the Lauzon/Tecumseh area than a padlocked plant.

"You want activity. You want action," said Francis. "The entire Lauzon Road corridor is going to come to life again. This just adds to and complements the activity at the WFCU Centre. Shrewd investors are already picking up properties."

Last year the London Free Press described Farhi, who has more than 80 properties in downtown London, as having "a buy-and-hold philosophy, acquiring what he sees as quality real estate and holding it for the long term."

London real estate broker George Kerhoulas told the newspaper that Farhi's investment strategy is different. "It is very long-term thinking, more of a European strategy and not North American." He added that Farhi is "a very savvy guy. Never underestimate him."

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 4:01 AM
Let's go Red Wings!

Boy this would real breathe some life into the Lauzon area. Ever since the plant shutdown that area has been dead. I just hope its not going to be lined with strip malls.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2k_pony View Post
Boy this would real breathe some life into the Lauzon area. Ever since the plant shutdown that area has been dead. I just hope its not going to be lined with strip malls.
I hear ya. I'm looking forward to the theme landscaping they plan to do for Lauzon road. No sidewalks there at the moment.

Hopefully Transit Windsor reconsiders adding a Bus stop at or near the W.F.C.U Arena.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2008, 7:34 PM

could be interesting, but i predict really nicely landscaped strip malls and parking lots... suburbia 2.0

Old Posted Aug 25, 2008, 7:42 PM
Let's go Red Wings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnold View Post
could be interesting, but i predict really nicely landscaped strip malls and parking lots... suburbia 2.0
unfortunately you are probably right. I would like to see a nice hotel and maybe some other sorts of entertainment go up in that area. Other then tecumseh mall there isnt much to do out that way.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2008, 10:01 PM

Quote:
$313M project seeks to merge Windsor rail lines

Dalson Chen
The Windsor Star

Monday, August 25, 2008

The city's railway issues committee has completed a study on a proposed $313-million project that would eliminate two-thirds of the railroad tracks in Windsor.

"That means a lot less interruption, a lot less impact on the neighbourhoods," Coun. Fulvio Valentinis, the committee's chairman, said Monday night.

"You're also looking at a different location for a new railway station. You're looking at more efficient movement of goods."

The project has been discussed since 2004, but Valentinis said the study that will go to city council on Sept. 9 contains the technically preferred solution.

If undertaken, the multiphase project would consolidate Windsor's existing lines for Canadian National, Canadian Pacific Railway and VIA Rail into one major double-tracked route.

"The main CP line would be the one that carries the traffic," Valentinis said.

The VIA line along the riverfront would be closed, and Windsor's train station would be relocated -- "probably in the downtown area."

The city's public works department estimates completion of the first phase alone would cost $175 million and take between five and 10 years.

Valentinis said one of the obstacles to the project is the commitment of CN and CP, both of whom would lose some flexibility in the region as a result of the project.

At the meeting, the committee identified the participation of Transport Canada as a key factor in the project's success.

"They're the ones who can force these people to the table," Valentinis said.

"At the same time, CP has expressed an interest in a new railway tunnel, and this would play into that."

The new railway tunnel -- large enough to accommodate modern container freight cars -- between Windsor and Detroit would add $400 million to the project's cost.

Asked who would pay for it all, Valentinis said the railway companies would be expected to bear the bulk of the cost as the project's major stakeholders, with federal assistance from Transport Canada.

"The railway companies have been part of this (study)," he said.

"This is not just a consultant with a pie-in-the-sky. They have been funders of this particular solution, they have participated."

A public review process will take place after the study goes to council.

Valentinis said the study itself cost about $290,000.

About $100,000 was paid by the City of Windsor.
Sounds about right: "We've got a great new expensive project in the works for you guys. Oh, by the way, you have to pay the bill." Good luck getting CN and CP on board with a proposition like that.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 1:02 AM

hey, at least they're still entertaining the idea of putting the VIA station downtown instead of out by the airport... that's positive news.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 10:58 PM

From the AM800 website:

OFFICE TOWER WELCOMED 2008-08-28 06:54:31

Plans for a new office tower in downtown Windsor are being welcomed by the Business Improvement Association. President, Larry Horowitz, says TD-Canada Trust is planning a new building and parking garage at Ouellette Avenue and Pitt Street. An official announcement is expected soon.

PELEE ISLAND DEVELOPMENT 2008-08-28 15:46:35

The mayor of Pelee Island is hoping for a large turnout for a public meeting tonight on a proposed 300-million dollar resort development. Mayor Rick Masse thinks the development is a great fit for the island. It includes a 3000 housing unit and two golf courses. The open house is at the legion beginning at 8.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 11:33 PM

^
lets hope they put that parking underground (or on top)... and not site adjacent like the candrell development.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 9:20 PM
Let's go Red Wings!

Arnold, by looking at the site location that they will be building on. I doubt that they will have the room for an adjacent garage. More then likely it will be underground. And yes the candrel buildings garage is quite an eyesore... Prime riverfront property and they build a garage that is 3x as long as the office tower.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2008, 1:04 PM

Any pics of the Grand Prix events downtown this weekend?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2008, 4:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_x3 View Post
Not from me, was in St Thomas on Friday, didn't bring my camera on Saturday, and forgot to bang off a couple a shots of the cart racing on my way to the IRL race in Detroit on Sunday.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 2:59 AM
www.windsorvisuals.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos_x3 View Post
There's a few of the Karting Grand Prix from a contributor on my blog.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 5:49 AM
www.windsorvisuals.com

The WFCU Centre (Sep. 10th 2008). She's looking good! Almost done:

This last one is a view toward the arena from the other side of Little River. They were supposed to construct a bridge right here so that the arena could be accessible from the east, but apparently wet conditions in the winter/spring prevented this.

Last edited by westerntragedy; Oct 17, 2008 at 4:14 AM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2008, 7:20 PM

New bank for Pitt and Ouellette
Patrick O Ryan's closes Oct. 30

Dave Hall
The Windsor Star

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Construction of a new TD Canada Trust banking centre at the corner of Pitt Street East and Ouellette Avenue is expected to begin before the end of the year, according to a bank spokeswoman.

"I can confirm that we are going into that location and that construction is expected to begin soon but for competitive reasons, I can't provide any more details," said Kelly Hechler. "We generally don't talk about new bank branches and locations until they are about to open."

It's expected the branch will offer a full range of services including commercial and business banking as well as wealth management.

First reported in The Star last November, the $10-million-plus development, on land assembled by Petretta Construction, will require demolition of the long-vacant former Royal Bank building at 166 Ouellette Ave. as well as an adjacent building at 25 Pitt St. E., which is currently occupied by Patrick O Ryan's Pub. The development will also include the parking lot next to Ryan's.

Chris Ryan, who opened his pub in June 1997, said he expected to close the doors Oct. 30.

"Discussions about this development have been going on for a while but it's only been finalized within the past week or so and it's too early to decide what to do next," said Ryan, who does not own the building.

"I just need some time to regroup and decide what to do," said Ryan. "We've had our peaks and valleys over the years and we've developed a strong, loyal clientele who came to see Ryan's as a destination as opposed to just another downtown bar.

"But all good things eventually come to an end and this will be it for us," said Ryan.

Ryan said he'd looked at other downtown locations to replicate his Irish pub's atmosphere but couldn't find anything that fits his needs.

The former Royal Bank building, which was originally the Manning House Hotel, is on the city's inventory of historical buildings and the developers will need council approval for a demolition permit.

The demolition, if approved, wouldn't affect the Shanfield-Meyers Jewellery and China Shop and adjacent Canada Gift Shop, which share the same Ouellette block.

dhall@thestar.canwest.com or 519-255-5777, ext. 408.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2008, 1:53 PM
Let's go Red Wings!

^ this is great news! I heard through the grapevine that this building should be approx 20 stories. They were trying to buy the Goyeau parking garage next door but that was squashed by city council because the garage is city owned. Hopefull the tower will extend the length of pitt and we wont end up with another tower+ parking garage like the candrel building. I also heard that across the street between papa cheneys and the travelodge is going to be redeveloped into another office tower. Dont have many details on that at this time. Its great to see that these parking lots are going to be filled with some nice mid-level towers though!

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 7:38 AM
www.windsorvisuals.com

Here's a rendering of what they're proposing for between Papa Cheney's and the Travelodge:

From Mikhail Holdings' site:
http://www.mikhailholdings.com/prope...nt-Towers.html

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 6:56 PM

^Nice rendering. I hope all of this happens but I have to wonder how downtown can support so much more office space?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2008, 7:57 PM
Let's go Red Wings!

I assume it will be somewhat like the Candrel tower. If you build it.. they will come. That tower is now full. It also depends how much per square foot they will be asking. TD tower should be pretty full though. They said they have quite a few companies on board.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario