HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 4:23 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hill View Post
Denver was named after some folk singer guy who wrote a famous song about getting high in the mountains or something. Pretty sure.
Ha may as well be. James Willimam Denver, this dude did a lot:

James William "Jim" Denver (October 23, 1817 – August 9, 1892) was an American politician, soldier and lawyer. He served in the California state government, as an officer in the United States Army in two wars, and as a Democratic member of the United States House of Representatives from California. He served as secretary and Governor of the Kansas Territory during the struggle over whether or not Kansas would be open to slavery. The city of Denver, Colorado, is named after him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_W._Denver

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 8:17 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
I always knew Atlanta was originally called "Terminus" based on a zero mile railroad milepost, and later the name "Atlanta" was adopted as a feminization of "Atlantic", from the Western and Atlantic Railroad. Following is a cut and paste of Atlanta's name origin from wiki:
The name of Atlanta has always bugged me because with the addition of just one letter, you could have had a city, Atalanta, named for a mythological character. That would have been an infinitely more interesting name and myth to go with it than to take the name "Atlantic," in an inland, landlocked city and, linguistically speaking, stick tits on it.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 5:01 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I knew it was new-ish, I knew the main colonial cities of GA were Savannah and, upriver, Augusta, and I also knew that Atlanta at the time of the Civil War wasn't even capital yet (the Old Capitol, on the NRHP, still exists in the little city of Milledgeville). However, I did learn something new - regarding the origins of the name of the Atlanta Thrashers NHL team.

Had no idea Atlanta had briefly been named Thrasherville...
I'd have to do some research but I don't believe that was the origins of the NHL team. The Georgia state bird is the Brown Thrasher so I think that's where it came from. I'll check.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 6:02 PM

London from the Roman city Londinium, although that would have probably been derived from some native Celtic name for the place which no one knows.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 8:01 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
The name of Atlanta has always bugged me because with the addition of just one letter, you could have had a city, Atalanta, named for a mythological character. That would have been an infinitely more interesting name and myth to go with it than to take the name "Atlantic," in an inland, landlocked city and, linguistically speaking, stick tits on it.
Atlanta is actually derived from a mythological character by proxy.

Morocco’s Atlas Mountains got its name because that’s where Atlas was said to have held up the sky. The Atlantic Ocean is named for those mountains, as the ocean just past them from Greco-Roman culture. Then you have got the steps you recalled.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 1:26 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Atlanta is actually derived from a mythological character by proxy.

Morocco’s Atlas Mountains got its name because that’s where Atlas was said to have held up the sky. The Atlantic Ocean is named for those mountains, as the ocean just past them from Greco-Roman culture. Then you have got the steps you recalled.
Some dude who held up the sky in Morocco vs a chick who sucked on bear tits, killed centaurs, got distracted by apples, and got turned into a lion...

I think Atalanta is still more interesting.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 1:34 PM

Waukegan

We were always told it means "little fort" in the native tounge (Algonquin ?)

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 1:48 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
I'm wondering if everyone reading this understands that "American Loyalist" doesn't mean loyal to America, but rather Colonists loyal to the British monarch who escaped to Canada? I know who they were because I learned Canadian history in 8th grade when I lived in a Toronto suburb.
Yes, good point. In American colonial times Philemon Wright would probably have been called a "traitor", à la Benedict Arnold.

Officially, in Canadian history, Benedict Arnold is a hero. Though due to American pop culture influence, a lot of Canadians if you mentioned the name to them would instantly think of the "traitor" label.

When I was a kid I recall other Canadian kids calling each other "Benedict Arnold" in situations where they felt betrayed. This was in the late 70s and early 80s when a lot of the 200th anniversary stuff related to the American Revolution was still fresh in people's minds from movies and TV.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 1:49 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post

And yet Canadians continue to fight amongst themselves to this day.
But not about the location of the capital! And only verbally.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 4:25 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yes, good point. In American colonial times Philemon Wright would probably have been called a "traitor", à la Benedict Arnold.

Officially, in Canadian history, Benedict Arnold is a hero. Though due to American pop culture influence, a lot of Canadians if you mentioned the name to them would instantly think of the "traitor" label.

When I was a kid I recall other Canadian kids calling each other "Benedict Arnold" in situations where they felt betrayed. This was in the late 70s and early 80s when a lot of the 200th anniversary stuff related to the American Revolution was still fresh in people's minds from movies and TV.
i think the kids in all the states have it right on, because regardless of the cause or side or whatever, he's best known as just a famous traitor.

i suppose the girls could say mata hari or something when their friends are being traitorous.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 4:28 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
i think the kids in all the states have it right on, because regardless of the cause or side or whatever, he's best known as just a famous traitor.

i suppose the girls could say mata hari or something when their friends are being traitorous.
The real question though is whether his cause was just. And that's really a matter of perspective.

Claus von Stauffenberg was a traitor too.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 4:56 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I knew it was new-ish, I knew the main colonial cities of GA were Savannah and, upriver, Augusta, and I also knew that Atlanta at the time of the Civil War wasn't even capital yet (the Old Capitol, on the NRHP, still exists in the little city of Milledgeville). However, I did learn something new - regarding the origins of the name of the Atlanta Thrashers NHL team.

Had no idea Atlanta had briefly been named Thrasherville...

i didn't know that either, but i did visit milledgeville. its on the georgia antebellum trail that is worth taking if you are looking for something to do in rural georgia. it has a small college with the former gov mansion was incorporated into it. it also has author flannery o'connors' andalusia farm. here is a blurb i found from the college about it:

Completed in 1839, Georgia's Old Governor's Mansion is one of the finest examples of High Greek Revival architecture in the nation. Designed by noted architect Charles Cluskey, an Irish immigrant and built by Timothy Porter of Farmington, Connecticut, the Mansion looms over Milledgeville with its stately columns and imposing facade. Serving as the residence for Georgia's chief executives for over thirty years, the Mansion's history encompasses the antebellum, Civil War, and early Reconstruction phases of the state's history. ...

During the Civil War, the Mansion was claimed as a "prize" in the "March to the Sea," when General William T. Sherman headquartered in the building on November 23, 1864. Following the war, Georgia's seat of government was relocated to Atlanta, and the Mansion was abandoned. Given over to Georgia Normal & Industrial College (currently known as Georgia College) in 1889, the Mansion served as the founding building of the institution and is the campus's most treasured structure.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 5:09 PM

Garlic is a much loved ingredient in myriad recipes.

But did read a Chicago translation as "smelly onion"... sure ur pr experts can fix/improve this ridiculous post.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2020, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
Ha may as well be. James Willimam Denver, this dude did a lot:

James William "Jim" Denver (October 23, 1817 – August 9, 1892) was an American politician, soldier and lawyer. He served in the California state government, as an officer in the United States Army in two wars, and as a Democratic member of the United States House of Representatives from California. He served as secretary and Governor of the Kansas Territory during the struggle over whether or not Kansas would be open to slavery. The city of Denver, Colorado, is named after him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_W._Denver
Your post was a lot more insightful than mine, but at least we both posted the same link.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions