HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 6:22 PM

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't hate it. Not that I love the Hub either way.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 7:48 PM
heavy user of walkability

I threw that out there as a conversation-starter, but I agree that this easily counts as part of what we have recently been calling 'The Hub', and so no need for a change.

Before the resurrection of that term, had I been pressed to assign that intersection to a neighborhood, I probably would have said SOMA.

I like the idea of this area getting a distinct name, especially one that alludes to its nature as a central transit connection. for a long time there has not been much of distinction there, but seems like now there could/will be, and maybe a name will help foster that along.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
I threw that out there as a conversation-starter, but I agree that this easily counts as part of what we have recently been calling 'The Hub', and so no need for a change.

Before the resurrection of that term, had I been pressed to assign that intersection to a neighborhood, I probably would have said SOMA.

I like the idea of this area getting a distinct name, especially one that alludes to its nature as a central transit connection. for a long time there has not been much of distinction there, but seems like now there could/will be, and maybe a name will help foster that along.
The buildings at this intersection, including 1500-1580 Mission, are part of what the Planning Dept. is calling "The Hub" for planning purposes, just as are the ones on the block just north of Market.

Eventually (hopefully not that long) it will be a highrise "hub" as well as a transit hub, clearly distinct on the skyline.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2020, 9:19 AM

a peek into the passageway from S Van Ness. nice to see the greenery back there already, and the surface material along the base on the right looks pretty good

and, along the S Van Ness sidewalk, where it looks like some interesting awnings are being installed?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 10:24 AM

sorry, I get excited over sidewalks

the SE corner

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 7:39 PM

Reply to timbad's post, I would prefer to call the area Crossroads. In a few years this area will truly be a crossroad in the city with it's own very visible collection of buildings. The current suggestion naming goes too far south from the center of the action which to me is Market/Van Ness

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 7:55 PM

That's why I'm indifferent to "Van Mission" as this project is NOT on Market street however quite clearly denotes that it is at the this specific intersection. It also has the branding power of Equinox and the condo tower (same parent company) which are using this moniker that makes this a good marketing campaign. I don't think it was intended to be or replace the currently non/undefined area/neighborhood (besides planning's "Hub").

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
Reply to timbad's post, I would prefer to call the area Crossroads. In a few years this area will truly be a crossroad in the city with it's own very visible collection of buildings. The current suggestion naming goes too far south from the center of the action which to me is Market/Van Ness

Old Posted Mar 22, 2020, 10:51 AM

the awning thing is up on the S Van Ness side, and so far I think it frames the sidewalk nicely

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 1:16 AM

close to completion!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 1:43 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

LOVE that street canopy! I bet the nighttime lighting will be amazing.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 6:50 PM

Wow, I was NOT expecting that canopy AT ALL

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 10:21 PM

Canopy

It's likely for wind mitigation. I believe the One Oak project at Van Ness had one as well for similar purposes.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 8:32 AM

I'm really impressed with the street-level look and feel of this one. solid materials. really looking forward to having this open

Mission (south) side

SE corner

east side

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 8:39 PM

I'd forgotten this one, the view up S Van Ness

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 10:52 PM

Spectacular Sculptural Overhang

5/20/2020 - The decorative overhang is quite spectacular. But it is not recommended to stand under it during a rainstorm as it does not serve that purpose! I notice the two blue pieces of tape on the ceiling corner. They are used in construction to indicate something that needs to be finished or repaired. I am not excited by the building, but the decorative overhand is a big winner for me.

1580 Mission St. San Francisco

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 2:00 PM

Quite nice. It rains so infrequently in SF that it's probably not a necessity to have the rain protection, but the added architectural interest of the canopy was money very well spent.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 4:28 PM

I can see this as a future Instagram spot for photographers

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 5:17 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post
Quite nice. It rains so infrequently in SF that it's probably not a necessity to have the rain protection, but the added architectural interest of the canopy was money very well spent.
It’s for wind mitigation, as mentioned multiple times above. I agree with Jerry that it’s very well done, though I’m really fond of the entire building and think it’s a fine addition to that edge of our skyline.

Old Posted May 22, 2020, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewguysf View Post
It’s for wind mitigation, as mentioned multiple times above. I agree with Jerry that it’s very well done, though I’m really fond of the entire building and think it’s a fine addition to that edge of our skyline.
Agreed!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 4:21 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive