HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvui View Post
I'm heading to Gahan tomorrow for lunch. We are looking forward to seeing what they have to offer.
I've only been to the one in Halifax and it's awesome. Will definitely be visiting Gahan in Moncton.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 4:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The very best burger I ever had (and I mean the very best) was at the Gahan in Charlottetown. If they can replicate that here, I will be a frequent visitor.

Good beer too. Great synergy with Pump House and Tide & Boar in this neighbourhood.

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 7:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

A few photos of Experience by ANBL (from Facebook)

https://www.anbl.com/experience-by-a...dKr2cJWpA_V4z0

Last edited by MonctonRad; May 10, 2019 at 8:40 PM.

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 8:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Huddle article about the new Gahan House restaurant at FiveFive Queen:

https://huddle.today/gahan-house-bre...SavBiEApxxbTgc

Some photos:

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 8:55 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Huddle article about Experience by ANBL at FiveFive Queen:

https://huddle.today/a-peek-inside-n...-n3Zue2l7iOrM8

Quote:
The 4,600-square-foot store is located next to the newly opened Gahan House Restaurant & Brewery, at the ground floor of FiveFive Queen, a mixed-use building that also includes condominiums, apartments and a boutique hotel.

Inside, the open-concept store is divided into different areas. There are a beer and cider section in the back and a ‘distinguished’ section on the left corner for mid-range premium wines. ‘The Collection’ room, which aptly has a ‘Creme de la Creme’ neon sign on the wall, houses the store’s top wines and spirits. Inside this room, there’s a long table and chairs to allow for tasting sessions.

“The Creme de la Creme room is all of our highly advocated, highly sought after, very collectible, somewhat rare [products],” Barbour said.

The most expensive spirit in the store’s inventory is a Tomatin scotch costing $35,000, which will arrive at the store in the near future, staff said.

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 4:13 PM

Driving around the 55 Queen neighborhood last night at about 7:00 PM all the street parking was full. Saw multiple people coming from and going to Gahan House. Looks like they are off to a good start. However I saw that Murphy Hospitality Group will not be operating the hotel??

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 4:21 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Driving around the 55 Queen neighborhood last night at about 7:00 PM all the street parking was full. Saw multiple people coming from and going to Gahan House. Looks like they are off to a good start. However I saw that Murphy Hospitality Group will not be operating the hotel??
Yes, I saw that too, which probably explains why the hotel is not going to be called the Wesley any more.

Hard to understand why there was a sudden change. The Murphy Group operates many hotels in addition to restaurants (including several in Moncton). I guess FiveFive Queen is going to operate the hotel itself. It may be called the Fenix Boutique Hotel. There is a chain of Fenix hotels in Europe. I don't know if our hotel will be affiliated with this chain........

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Yes, I saw that too, which probably explains why the hotel is not going to be called the Wesley any more.

Hard to understand why there was a sudden change. The Murphy Group operates many hotels in addition to restaurants (including several in Moncton). I guess FiveFive Queen is going to operate the hotel itself. It may be called the Fenix Boutique Hotel. There is a chain of Fenix hotels in Europe. I don't know if our hotel will be affiliated with this chain........

I agree it's hard to understand. Maybe Murphy HG has their hands full with their current portfolio and adding another Gahan House was all they wanted to take on at this time. The principals connected with FiveFive Queen aren't experienced in the Hotel business from what I can see. Perhaps they are looking for another operator to manage the hotel assuming they intend to stick with their original business model.

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 9:28 PM

Quote:

The very best burger I ever had (and I mean the very best) was at the Gahan in Charlottetown. If they can replicate that here, I will be a frequent visitor.

Good beer too. Great synergy with Pump House and Tide & Boar in this neighbourhood.
I was hoping the same, they told me on Social Media that they are going to "tailor the menu to each location" so I fully expect way too much seafood on the menu here. They had a burger in PEI that my girlfriend loved, and doesn't sound like they'll have it here.

Speaking of Charlottetown, I much prefer the "pub" atmosphere at the place there...the one here feels like it could be a Kelseys, BP, or any other 'chain' restaurant, just change the sign above the door. Looks too modern...and not much character.

We need a "fourth" microbrewery to complete the "brewers block" as I've begun to call it (maybe the old church).

Looking forward to trying it out...great beer too, much better than PH imho.

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 4:50 PM

They were working on the top exterior on the front of the building when I drove by earlier this morning. Looks like they are almost finished this section. Still a fair amount of the back exterior unfinished.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 6:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

FiveFive Queen - current status:

The final application of the cladding on this building seems like it is occurring at a glacial pace............

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 6:47 PM

Quote:
FiveFive Queen - current status:

The final application of the cladding on this building seems like it is occurring at a glacial pace............
Agree. I drive by a couple of times a week and usually see them working on the exterior but it seems to be a very slow process. Don't know why.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 7:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I wonder if there are any plans on putting dark cladding of some form over the bare concrete of the balconies? I find that the balconies stand out like a sore thumb against the black cladding on the remainder of the face of the building.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 3:05 PM

Quote:
I wonder if there are any plans on putting dark cladding of some form over the bare concrete of the balconies? I find that the balconies stand out like a sore thumb against the black cladding on the remainder of the face of the building.
Drove by the FiveFive building this morning. They are working on the exterior again today.

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 5:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Most of the photos I've taken of FiveFive Queen make the building look like it's being built in the middle of nowhere. I thought I would take a couple of pictures today putting FiveFive Queen in more of an urban context.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 3:40 PM

They're working at the FiveFive site today. Looks like they are removing the scaffolding from around the front of the building. Easier access to Gahan house now. I also noticed they have done work on the parking garage recently. Slowly things are starting to take shape.

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Most of the photos I've taken of FiveFive Queen make the building look like it's being built in the middle of nowhere. I thought I would take a couple of pictures today putting FiveFive Queen in more of an urban context.

Wow that church rectory would make one heck of a microbrewery or wine house.

Gahan...needs to hurry up and get their Growler fill station open!

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 11:03 PM

Have people start to move in, if not, any idea when the moving in begins?

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 12:04 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark View Post
Have people start to move in, if not, any idea when the moving in begins?
Only Gahan House and Experience by ANBL have opened yet.

Old Posted May 23, 2019, 12:59 AM

I can't imagine any microbreweries locally that could make a business case for buying the old rectory and paying the mortgage on beer sales. It seems clear I'm in the minority on this, but still, that's a lot of money. I keep hearing this wish by many forumers, maybe I'm wrong?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces