HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 1:51 AM
Denver

Seriously they determined Salt Lake City as the gayest US city by using gay softball league attendance and mr leather entrants?

I'm sorry but that sounds very unscientific and I am 100 percent sure slc is not the most gay friendly city in the US

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 1:53 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hill View Post
I recently came to the conclusion that the best indicator for how gay-friendly a city is would be to divide its pride fest attendance by its metro population. A truly large and successful pride fest would require more than just the LGBT’s showing up. And a truly large and successful pride fest would be indicative of a tolerant city. (At the time I came up with this idea I tried to google for a list of the largest pride fests and came up empty.)

Of course that wouldn’t be perfectly scientific, but it would be better than measuring gay bowling league attendance or whenever. :p
It's really not that complicated, places with conservative suburbs and rural outskirts are gonna have liberal gathering spots in cities (Salt Lake City has not elected a Republican Mayor in 40 years). Every gay kid in Utah grows up and either moves out of state or spends much of his social life in Salt Lake City. We get gay kids out of high school by the droves each year.

Our Pride Parade attractred over 40,000 people last year. Not sure how well attended it was this last Sunday.

Last edited by s.p.hansen; Jun 11, 2014 at 2:05 AM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottk View Post
Seriously they determined Salt Lake City as the gayest US city by using gay softball league attendance and mr leather entrants?

I'm sorry but that sounds very unscientific and I am 100 percent sure slc is not the most gay friendly city in the US
Maybe in Salt Lake there isn’t anything to do except play gay softball and go to Mr. Leather contests.

Mr. Leather Softball League. Now that’s what they need.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 2:18 AM
of Gnomeregan

Next up: Orlando as the most Urban City in the United States! Forget reality.... we used metrics that gave us the most nauseatingly moronic city at the top of the list! No subways? Doesn't matter.. Orlando is still number one. Not even close to the highest density in the country.. who gives a flying patootie.. Orlando is number one.. No buildings over 350 feet.. whatever.. Orlando is number one.

The Advocate: Doing our best to discredit intelligent homosexuals no matter where they may live!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 2:20 AM
of Gnomeregan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post

The gay community could ban Mormons from participating in their gay day parade and I also wouldn't care.
No one would be there then. Also can I change my vote about separating Denver from the rest of the Mountain West? Saying any part of Utah is gay friendly is like saying tuna nets "welcome" dolphins.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
It's really not that complicated, places with conservative suburbs and rural outskirts are gonna have liberal gathering spots in cities (Salt Lake City has not elected a Republican Mayor in 40 years). Every gay kid in Utah grows up and either moves out of state or spends much of his social life in Salt Lake City. We get gay kids out of high school by the droves each year.

Our Pride Parade attractred over 40,000 people last year. Not sure how well attended it was this last Sunday.
hmmmm…makes sense I guess.

Denver's and San Diego's each draw about 200,000. But those are bigger cities in more liberal states so...

(I chose those two cities because they're the two that I've lived in the longest and am most familiar with.)

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 2:38 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

Quote:
hmmmm…makes sense I guess.

Denver's and San Diego's each draw about 200,000. But those are bigger cities in more liberal states so...

(I chose those two cities because they're the two that I've lived in the longest and am most familiar with.)
Another thing to keep in mind is that the largest parade in the state was The Days of 47 Parade until the Pride Parade last year eclipsed it. So our metro just doesn't do parades in general, lol.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 2:41 AM

If this thread got locked for deteriorating into a city vs. city thread about which city is the gayest, that would be kind of awesome.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 2:42 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Another thing to keep in mind is that the largest parade in the state was The Days of 47 Parade until the Pride Parade last year eclipsed it. So our metro just doesn't do parades in general, lol.
No real sports. That's where cities learn how to do parades. Super Bowls and Stanley cups and such. If the Rockies ever win a World Series, pride parade the next year will too 300,000, guarantees. SLC...will still be at 40,000.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 2:48 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

Quote:
If this thread got locked for deteriorating into a city vs. city thread about which city is the gayest, that would be kind of awesome.
Naw, I concede you guys have better parades and more gays. But we have a nice tight knit gay community here that the city cherishes.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Naw, I concede you guys have better parades and more gays. But we have a nice tight knit gay community here that the city cherishes.
Last poster: “Oh yeah well, our skyscrapers are more erect than yours!”

Mod: “All right that’s it guys. I’m going to have to lock this.”

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 2:55 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
No real sports. That's where cities learn how to do parades. Super Bowls and Stanley cups and such. If the Rockies ever win a World Series, pride parade the next year will too 300,000, guarantees. SLC...will still be at 40,000.
That and more drinking would do wonders...

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 3:21 AM
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.

The threads on this forum have given me a head ache. I need to laugh at something.

Here's this, laugh with me.

http://youtu.be/pFexG232Tx4

http://youtu.be/9U4Ha9HQvMo

Salt Lake City throughout 2015 in the My City Photos Forum >>>http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=215244

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 3:24 AM
Always running Late

I can vouch for slc.. there is actually a very large gay community that is very well supported by the city and residents..
you might be scratching your head a bit, but it's true.. problem is.. this encompasses slc proper which is roughly a city of only 190K..in a metro of 1.5 million
if you factored in the metro as "the city" certainly it's not very gay friendly…
Salt lake city proper is a strange place in that the actual city itself is 10% of the metro population.. so from a demographic standpoint..that is how SLC ranks high on gay lists…especially when that island is where all the homo's congregate and live...
city proper really is an island of very left progressive liberalism surrounded by some of the most ultra-conservativism that exists in the country….which is why political issues become hyper-controversial in utah and salt lake city… u have to know it to understand it… lots of tit for tat that goes on by both sides...

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 3:43 AM
Exurb Enjoyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiseguy View Post
I can vouch for slc.. there is actually a very large gay community that is very well supported by the city and residents...
There you have it folks, if you have witnesses from 2/3 of the Mountain West, a truth has been established (as it is written in the law) Salt Lake City is super gay.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysNoiz View Post
The threads on this forum have given me a head ache. I need to laugh at something.

Here's this, laugh with me.

http://youtu.be/pFexG232Tx4

http://youtu.be/9U4Ha9HQvMo
That Onion "piece" was awesome.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 4:04 AM

There were more factors than that, but those were a few of the factors.

You do have to have a sizeable gay community to support a gay softball league, which isn't just one team, but several teams making up an entire league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottk View Post

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 4:33 AM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
It still has the reputation though.
As I'm organizing photos, I decided to watch Contact. Do you remember the crazy religious terrorist guy? Look where they pinned him... Just saying...

Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 4:56 AM
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.

Understood, there is a Utah stereotype. Instead of just constantly going over it, let's find ways to better views of the state.

Salt Lake City throughout 2015 in the My City Photos Forum >>>http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=215244

Old Posted Jun 11, 2014, 7:06 AM
Denver

Ok when I visited SLC I honestly thought it was a nice city and had a lot of things going for it.

Your light rail, for example, blows denver out of the water. Also the Mormons build high quality buildings. Denver only builds 5 and 6 story bullshit stick apartments

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West