HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

432 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 4:46 AM
New Yorker for life

Video in the link...

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/2678637...32-park-avenue

Inside 432 Park Avenue

Finally, someone mentions the Nordstrom tower being taller.

Here's the vid on youtube...

Video Link

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.1973568

Skinny Park Ave. tower, tallest condo in Western Hemisphere, reaches its full height

By Katherine Klarke
October 14, 2014

Quote:
A residential building that's been conspicuously rising at 432 Park Ave. reached its full height Tuesday.

At 1,396 feet tall, it has already surpassed the Empire State Building, 1 World Trade Center and the Chrysler Building to become the tallest tower in the city — if you don't include the spires that crown those respective buildings. It's also the tallest residential property in the Western Hemisphere.

Once completed, the skinny tower, designed by architect Rafael Viñoly, will house 104 luxury condo units for the world's wealthiest homebuyers.

"We are proud to have created a New York City landmark that can be seen throughout all five boroughs and which will enhance our city's iconic skyline," said developer Harry Macklowe, who is building the tower in partnership with California-based private equity firm CIM.

"We are privileged to have been part of creating something that will join the pantheon of legendary 20th century structures like the Chrysler, the Empire State and the Woolworth Buildings," he said.

http://7online.com/realestate/432-pa...ilding/349869/

http://metroscenes.com/cities/new-yo...night-in-2014/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 15, 2014 at 5:36 AM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 5:42 AM

By contrast, One57 doesn't even look like a supertall. It looks like just another building.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 5:54 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuyWho View Post
By contrast, One57 doesn't even look like a supertall. It looks like just another building.

Even 432 Park won't look as grand in about 5 years. You have at least 3 towers of the same height or taller coming nearby. You'll get One Vanderbilt, which is the same height as 432 Park, minus it's spire. There's 111 W. 57th St, which will be around the same height (1,397 ft, some say 1,400 ft). Then there's the Nordstrom tower of around 1,500 ft, 1,775 with spire. It won't look so shockingly tall on the Midtown skyline because of these towers and more that are being built. Changing times, and far different from the days when it was just the Empire State and WTC that dominated the city and represented the skyline everywhere.

I want the reveal of the mechanical floors.

pedrotorresciliberto

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Oct 15, 2014 at 6:04 AM.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 8:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Skinny Park Ave. tower, tallest condo in Western Hemisphere, reaches its full height
So is that the final design for the roof? Some of the renders seem to show the top 2 floors will be mechanical to hide the elevators... but none seem to show anything other than a flat top.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayStar View Post
So is that the final design for the roof? Some of the renders seem to show the top 2 floors will be mechanical to hide the elevators... but none seem to show anything other than a flat top.
I'm not sure I understand your question. All renderings are the same- they all show a flat top, and they all show mechanical floors, and that's exactly what you see being built. There's no "secret spire" to come, or anything. This is pure modernism.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I'm not sure I understand your question. All renderings are the same- they all show a flat top...
I get that... but the top is not yet "flat"... there is still the core (assuming those are elevator bits) sticking above the top "floor".

Sooo.... the comment above says "reaches full height".... but I was always under the impression that the "perimeter" would surpass the "core" at the very top to make it flat.

3 possibilities:
1) All top-out is done and the roof will not be flat.
2) The perimeter will be built up to EXACTLY the height of the core.
3) The perimeter will be built up above the core... in which case it has not reached full height.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayStar View Post
I get that... but the top is not yet "flat"... there is still the core (assuming those are elevator bits) sticking above the top "floor".
Because the building isn't completed yet. "Topping out" doesn't mean "construction completed". They're still obviously building the perimeter.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Because the building isn't completed yet. "Topping out" doesn't mean "construction completed". They're still obviously building the perimeter.
So it hasn't reached "full height" yet... which is what the headlines above are screaming... End of nit-picking for today

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 1:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuyWho View Post

Beautiful!

Just waiting for the GM building to be razed and redeveloped. Its dumb ugly and is ruining views everywhere.

Does it even have windows?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 1:06 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveninsong
Just waiting for the GM building to be razed and redeveloped. Its dumb ugly and is ruining views everywhere.[/size]
Then you'll have to keep waiting. There's a lot of money invested in that building.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...HJeJCADjwhHDKg

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...hRZqCQePLD3y8w

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayStar
Sooo.... the comment above says "reaches full height".... but I was always under the impression that the "perimeter" would surpass the "core" at the very top to make it flat.

The core itself is supposed to reach 1,381 ft. Assuming this is not temporary structure, then there will be more to rise around it. The only explanation would be a core that extends higher than the planned 1,396 ft., but we haven't seen that.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 3:47 PM
Is That LEGO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
I cant even imagine how uncaring and despicable these people could be to drop 60 million or more on a condo they probably wont even live in. Im glad they built this just because its epic, but I want to punch the people in the face who buys these condos. Most likely the same people who buy our politicians through super pacs to fight against single payer healthcare and keep low wages for Americans in order to make an extra few million a year for themselves.

I wouldn't want to live there.... I'd probably never want to leave the building

I'd love to take a tour of a finished unit though.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 5:07 PM

A little arithmetic, and certainly subject to correction. Each level is 15.5 feet - and the core is now topped out at 89 levels, which should therefore be 1,379.5 feet. The perimeter is now at 88 levels. The renderings by the owners shows 12 levels in the final and 6th section, which should leave 2 levels of perimeter yet to be built. If the core is now topped out and the 88th level has its floor laid, then there are no more floors - what one can walk on - to be poured and thus the topping out ceremony makes sense. If the perimeter - what will be a parapet - is built two more levels, then the finished height will be 1,395 feet.

Marcatio has a great rendering on March 6, 2014 - page 273 - which shows all this. The core is obviously one level higher than in his rendering - but that will not change the final profile and height - if the next two levels of perimeter are built.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 5:10 PM
New Yorker for life

karim.mustafa

resized

gfrankm

resized

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWestGuy View Post
A little arithmetic, and certainly subject to correction. Each level is 15.5 feet - and the core is now topped out at 89 levels, which should therefore be 1,379.5 feet. The perimeter is now at 88 levels. The renderings by the owners shows 12 levels in the final and 6th section, which should leave 2 levels of perimeter yet to be built. If the core is now topped out and the 88th level has its floor laid, then there are no more floors - what one can walk on - to be poured and thus the topping out ceremony makes sense. If the perimeter - what will be a parapet - is built two more levels, then the finished height will be 1,395 feet.

Marcatio has a great rendering on March 6, 2014 - page 273 - which shows all this. The core is obviously one level higher than in his rendering - but that will not change the final profile and height - if the next two levels of perimeter are built.
i think you nailed it. What's left is the parapet. there will surely be some mechanical stuff on the roof and it makes sense for the core to extend up past the top floor to give space for elevator mech and roof access. man this thing went up quick. feels like just yesterday i was looking at a hole in the ground

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWestGuy View Post
...then there are no more floors - what one can walk on - to be poured and thus the topping out ceremony makes sense. If the perimeter - what will be a parapet - is built two more levels, then the finished height will be 1,395 feet....
Thank You... that be the answer to all my nit-picks

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 6:15 PM

And a self correction. It is actually the floor of level 89 that has been poured and is supposedly the roof. Marcatio has another superb rendering - near the bottom of page 314 - of what the top of the building should look like. Again, the core has gone one level higher than his rendering shows. So - will we see the final two pseudo floors of parapet?

On page 314, scroll down just past the double rendering for a larger one of just the building top.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 7:28 PM

There was another core jump today, BTW, which leaves me confused.

I thought "topped out" was typically defined as "core has reached highest point". In this case, it isn't true.

So we have last core jump today, and (I think) two floors of perimeter?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 7:31 PM

Quote:
There was another core jump today, BTW, which leaves me confused.

I thought "topped out" was typically defined as "core has reached highest point". In this case, it isn't true.

So we have last core jump today, and (I think) two floors of perimeter?
It's definitely not topped out yet, I thought there were a number of floors left to go.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 7:36 PM

I think I just figured it out- we're skyscraper geeks here and missing the easy answer.

The "topping out" ceremony has to be scheduled weeks in advance. You have the developer there, various important people, all with busy schedules, and they need to be scheduled far in advance.

So the "topping out" ceremony, most likely, is just a symbolic event to signify they're reaching the end. It probably shouldn't be interpreted as an exact "topping out" because the construction schedule could never be exactly timed to an event planned weeks in advance, in order to accommodate super-over scheduled people. You can't just hire the caterer and assemble all the people at a moment's notice.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 8:17 PM
Ex Houstonian

^
Genius.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive