HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 10:22 PM
Space Magi

Here's a new project on 400 S between 200W and 300 W, behind the liquor store: the "BRIX." It will be 11-stories (120 ft to roofline) and have 138 apartment units. No ground-floor commercial, the street is faced by windows that look into the tenant gym and leasing office.

I think it looks good from the west but the street face is very plain/ugly.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboubak View Post
Awesome plans old and new! I have long day dreamed of city creek being extended through that whole block and continuing the walkways. Sadly the new tower will have above ground parking but hopefully the big staircase and park on top makes it less of an eyesore. Also I doubt we will salvage the theater, but this kinda style would be a perfect blueprint for how they should move forward with the block. Lastly, Waimea chill bruh you are giving a bad name to Aina and the beautiful Waimea Bay. Or Waimea on the Big Island, which ever one you are referencing.
That’s why I’m saying, throw all the parking below grade like city creek center. It’s very possible the Pantages Theatre will be saved.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 11:20 PM

Brix project - 235 W 400 S - Additional renderings

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

Additional & clean (without all the lines/details) renderings of the proposed development. Developers have filed for a design review with SLC. 138 total residential units ranging from studio to 3 bedroom units (3 bedrooms is relatively unique). The project calls for the addition of a public midblock walkway and public gym to activate the pedestrian experience.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
I went ahead and put all the parking on the block below-grade, and opened up the block with a new North - South street. It's crazy how much additional things you can throw in there and still have it feel more open than before by just getting rid of the above-grade parking ramps. Like the Presiding Bishop said when presenting the plans for City Creek Center: "There's NOTHING vibrant about parking."

I genuinely love this idea!!! This would be amazing to have, especially right across from the convention center, really activating the space. It would also create amazing flow between city creek, the convention center, Main Street, 100 South, and 200 South.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 5:33 AM

Nice to see more dense infill. Although, the facade facing 4th is kind of deadly. The city shouldn't allow that much blank facade facing the principal street. That's just bad design.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 7:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Nice to see more dense infill. Although, the facade facing 4th is kind of deadly. The city shouldn't allow that much blank facade facing the principal street. That's just bad design.
I hope it's the same architect that designed Casa Milagro because I would hate to think there are two architects who design blank walls facing the street

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 9:06 AM

Bicycle Collective Building - Commercial Building Permit

The Bicycle Collective Building has filed a commercial building permit.

It's a small project in comparison to many we discuss, but I'm really excited for it nonetheless.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 2:20 PM

@2100 II - Design Review

The second phase of the @2100 project, called simply @2100 II, has filed a Design Review with the city. It will include 160 residential units and stand 6 floors (77 feet tall).

Project Overview

Land Description

Conclusion

South view

West view

Site Plan

Surrounding Conditions

Elevations

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 6:19 PM

So, uh, Brix is, umm... hideous

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 6:58 PM

Regarding the street-facing front, I like the base with its glass transparency and the left half of the building particularly with the 2nd and third-floor landscaped terraces. However, I definitely agree that the right half needs an upgrade. Perhaps corner windows or if that's not value engineered enough an attractive top to bottom artwork to the right of the narrow strip of windows maybe something depicting the rich history of that neighborhood could be very engaging and a lot better than nothing. On the left half above floor three, they could do a narrower but corresponding artwork.

Quote:

Last edited by delts145; Mar 6, 2021 at 7:11 PM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 6:58 PM

Quote:
The scattered windows on the sides are really nice and unique considering what is generally built in this city. Not sure why they didn't keep the same design elements on the front :/

Also..with this and the Bookbinder project the liquor store is gonna be surrounded by pretty decent looking apartment buildings. Anyone know if the liquor store is gonna close when the new one on 300s eventually opens? Looking like thats gonna be a prime corner

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 7:16 PM

I think overall the design is nice. Nothing stellar, but decent. It's just the lack of prioritizing the facade on 4th south. They need to add more windows on that side. In Seattle, there are restrictions against blank facades.

They also need some more variation in color on that facade. It's very drab.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePriceWentUp View Post
Also..with this and the Bookbinder project the liquor store is gonna be surrounded by pretty decent looking apartment buildings. Anyone know if the liquor store is gonna close when the new one on 300s eventually opens? Looking like thats gonna be a prime corner
With the new 300s store, I wonder if they will close the smaller wine/liquor store currently on 300e. Then hopefully they keep this 400s store open, or have a second west downtown location planned.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 9:34 PM

It would be incredibly dumb if they closed one of the already limited liquor stores we currently have.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 2:23 AM
Ironweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
I went ahead and put all the parking on the block below-grade, and opened up the block with a new North - South street. It's crazy how much additional things you can throw in there and still have it feel more open than before by just getting rid of the above-grade parking ramps. Like the Presiding Bishop said when presenting the plans for City Creek Center: "There's NOTHING vibrant about parking."

Old & New, you really should be hired by the city. Your ideas are excellent.

On another note, I noticed that nothing is really happening with a couple of lots. The ModaLux and a lot on North temple. Any reasons for delays?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 4:21 AM
Exit 298

(deleted: irredeemable typos)

Last edited by i-215; Mar 8, 2021 at 10:23 AM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 9:18 AM

Address: 730 S State Street

SAPA Investment Group has filed a commercial building permit for:

Quote:
Sapa Corporate Office Expansion
New Construction of a 3 story building addition. 1st floor is to be used as retail space. 2nd and 3rd floors are to be used as office space by Sapa Investment Group, the current tenants on the 2nd floor of 726 S State Street.
I haven't heard of this planned expansion, has anyone else?

The only thing that I can find in my records is that the Sears Block redevelopment project seems to maybe include it in this image:

P.S. in an unrelated comment, I still cannot get over how large Post House appears in this image. I'm really excited for that project to be finished.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 11:07 AM

KSL: Dozens Rally Against KOZO House Apartments In SLC.

https://ksltv.com/456978/dozens-rall...tments-in-slc/

Quote:
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — Dozens of residents rallied in Salt Lake City to protest a new luxury apartment complex in the downtown area that would displace at least seven high-risk families.

On Saturday, protestors said developments like the KOZO House Apartments target the most vulnerable community members, leaving them without a home or affordable options.

The project will demolish seven single-family homes in order to make space for a 312-unit building located on the block of 175 North and 600 West.

The evicted families were renters who said they were given no say in the matter, and with sky-rocketing costs of housing, many of them were at risk of becoming homeless, not to mention, forced to leave the only community they knew.

“I am tired of hiding there crying. I’m tired of not knowing what to do,” said Tina Holt-Balderrama. “My best hope today is to get some of these families helped. I want some help. I want somebody that doesn’t just say I know about this project. I want somebody to put their foot down and do something about this project.”

Residents said moving into the new apartment complex once it’s built was an unaffordable and unrealistic option as those making less than $56,000 a year would not qualify.

The project was tabled or put on hold last October, and it looks like it’s undergoing a design review with the planning commission.
Is anti-development sentiments getting out of hand in Salt Lake?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2021, 12:41 PM

Chart and table of population level and growth rate for the Salt Lake City metro area from 1950 to 2021. United Nations population projections are also included through the year 2035.

https://www.macrotrends.net/cities/2...ity/population

The current metro area population of Salt Lake City in 2021 is 1,180,000, a 0.94% increase from 2020.

The metro area population of Salt Lake City in 2020 was 1,169,000, a 0.95% increase from 2019.

The metro area population of Salt Lake City in 2019 was 1,158,000, a 0.96% increase from 2018.

The metro area population of Salt Lake City in 2018 was 1,147,000, a 1.41% increase from 2017.

Chart and table of population level and growth rate for the Provo-Orem metro area from 2017 to 2021. United Nations population projections are also included through the year 2035.

https://www.macrotrends.net/cities/2.../population?q=

The current metro area population of Provo-Orem in 2021 is 793,000, a 3.52% increase from 2020.

The metro area population of Provo-Orem in 2020 was 766,000, a 3.79% increase from 2019.

The metro area population of Provo-Orem in 2019 was 738,000, a 4.24% increase from 2018.

The metro area population of Provo-Orem in 2018 was 708,000, a 4.73% increase from 2017.

Chart and table of population level and growth rate for the Ogden-Layton metro area from 1950 to 2021. United Nations population projections are also included through the year 2035.

https://www.macrotrends.net/cities/2...ton/population

The current metro area population of Ogden-Layton in 2021 is 725,000, a 1.97% increase from 2020.

The metro area population of Ogden-Layton in 2020 was 711,000, a 2.16% increase from 2019.

The metro area population of Ogden-Layton in 2019 was 696,000, a 2.2% increase from 2018.

The metro area population of Ogden-Layton in 2018 was 681,000, a 2.71% increase from 2017.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 2:52 AM
Space Magi

Cool photo of Central Station Apartments from this article:

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2021/3/...ent-in-housing

The Rio Grande is just peeking out, begging to be utilized for transit once more

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West