HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

432 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 1:33 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This is going to look amazing when landing in Laguardia. Its gonna be a stunning sight especially at night.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 2:52 PM
JACKinBeantown

On the 56th street cam you can see all the pieces in place for the next crane jump.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 3:28 PM

So, we should be approaching the first open section, right? Any idea if they're going to do the core pour any differently, since the core in the open sections is barrel-shaped (to reduce wind resistance)? Or will they pour the core normally and then afterwards add a rounded "casing," for lack of a better word?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
So, we should be approaching the first open section, right? Any idea if they're going to do the core pour any differently, since the core in the open sections is barrel-shaped (to reduce wind resistance)? Or will they pour the core normally and then afterwards add a rounded "casing," for lack of a better word?
It is easier/less expensive to add rounded walls apart from the core rather than change the shape and engineering of the core itself. Keeping in mind that the only way to do it, if they actually changed the core shape, would be to make the core bigger. They couldn't round it off by cutting the corners off the core since elevators and utilities still need to use that space inside the core. So if the only option is to make it bigger, why bother with the expense of changing the core shape and the climbing forms when they can just add curved walls around what they already have.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 6:31 PM

Right, copy that, makes sense. Looking forward to seeing how they look in practice, but I guess that orange netting might stay on for a long time.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 12:04 AM

I have a few questions:

- How does concrete stack up against steel in terms of flexibility? In other words, will concrete crack under flexing when steel might not?

- Because of the height and narrow width, is it more prone to flexing than other, similarly sized buildings?

- What is the maximum wind load?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have a few questions:

- How does concrete stack up against steel in terms of flexibility? In other words, will concrete crack under flexing when steel might not?

- Because of the height and narrow width, is it more prone to flexing than other, similarly sized buildings?

- What is the maximum wind load?
-Concrete is stronger than steel and flexes less. The Twin Towers swayed a lot more in the wind than this building ever will. Steel is extremely flexible and that is why the Twin Towers had a hat truss to withstand the load of the wind, but they still swayed noticeably in the wind as you can ask anyone that worked in them and they will tell you that..........

-No it should not. There probably would be some sort of damper to strengthen this building against the wind somewhere in the plan and it is concrete so it should sway less..........

-It should be 110 miles per hour like any other building on the Island of Manhattan..........

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 4:03 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

-It's a bit tricky comparing the stiffness of steel and concrete. For the actual material properties, concrete is weaker and less stiff than steel. However, in an actual structure, concrete is stiffer because you have to use more because it's weaker. Reinforced concrete muddles this distinction because when the reinforcement is added, the concrete gets stronger and starts gaining the flexibility of steel too.

-There will be a large water tank acting as tuned mass damper.

-110mph sounds about right.

Here's the engineering report for the tower.
http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/BS...de=ES571043069

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 7:08 AM

What an awesome building!

The footprint is the most impressive part, next to the height.

Glad those downers who claimed the end of the skyscraper after 9/11 didn't get their wish. Better than ever!

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 12:12 PM

Old Posted Jul 14, 2013, 2:14 PM

From yesterday.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2013, 4:45 PM

So... are the windows going to be (mostly) flush with the exterior... or will they be set back a foot or two as some of the above photos imply? Color me confused!

Old Posted Jul 14, 2013, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Stanley View Post
So... are the windows going to be (mostly) flush with the exterior... or will they be set back a foot or two as some of the above photos imply? Color me confused!
Nevermind... just answered my own question. Went back to look at some of the hi-res renders and see that the double floor "obervation" decks (or whatever they'll be) will have the setback windows, while all the other floors will be more or less flush. Dur...

God I can't wait for this thing to soar... I really didn't like it at first, but I'm so in love with it now, it makes me giddy. I wish to hell we had true skyscrapers like these to adore here in Oregon.

One of these days I'm gonna have the bucks to tour NYC and Chicago... one of these days.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2013, 10:44 PM

Looking at the diagram, it appears that the floors with the recessed windows will be the lounge. Lobby floor will have them as well. However the "observation decks" will be open air, to reduce wind resistance. Or, mostly open, anyway. In some of the very detailed renders, you can see that the lower of the two floors in each of the open sections will have a glass railing of some kind.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 12:39 AM
JACKinBeantown

Nice shots, ILNY! And thanks for posting them large enough to see some detail. Concrete still looks like crap. They better do something to fix it up.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
-Concrete is stronger than steel and flexes less. The Twin Towers swayed a lot more in the wind than this building ever will. Steel is extremely flexible and that is why the Twin Towers had a hat truss to withstand the load of the wind, but they still swayed noticeably in the wind as you can ask anyone that worked in them and they will tell you that..........

-No it should not. There probably would be some sort of damper to strengthen this building against the wind somewhere in the plan and it is concrete so it should sway less..........

-It should be 110 miles per hour like any other building on the Island of Manhattan..........
So...what would happen if a large tornado were to go through midtown?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 3:08 AM

I always felt that in the end the Exterior Concrete Design would either turn out completely stunning or monstrously brutal. Being that work is still being done, I will hold off on any conclusions. The state the concrete is in right now does look rather disappointing.

Question: Anyone out there with knowledge on pressure treated concrete and as any idea as to whether the concrete is in its final state or that further treatments are in the plans? [Hopefully with the focus on aesthetics.]

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
So...what would happen if a large tornado were to go through midtown?
Tornadoes don't usually form in Urban areas. Not enough flat terrain for them..........

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
Tornadoes don't usually form in Urban areas. Not enough flat terrain for them..........
Sure they don't usually happen, but they do happen. We had two tornadoes touch down in Brooklyn and Queens on the same day last summer.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2013, 2:00 PM
West bench livin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpdrummer82 View Post
Sure they don't usually happen, but they do happen. We had two tornadoes touch down in Brooklyn and Queens on the same day last summer.
Even cities where you'd not think of as tornado prone have tornadoes. 14 years ago this week, Salt Lake City had a tornado rip through an outdoor trade show, jump over a major construction project (knocking over a construction crane) and then plowing through a hilly neighborhood. I had forgotten about last year's Brooklyn/Queens events (I'm a bit of a weather geek...)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive