HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 8:03 PM

Downtown Chicago’s condo development boom has ended. Here’s why

For the first time in years, there are no new large condo projects under construction in downtown Chicago.

Roughly 2,500 condos have been developed downtown since 2015 as multiple towers were constructed, and about 600 of those units are still available, said Gail Lissner, managing director for Integra Realty Resources...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/real...5e225348&ei=15

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
For the first time in years, there are no new large condo projects under construction in downtown Chicago.

Roughly 2,500 condos have been developed downtown since 2015 as multiple towers were constructed, and about 600 of those units are still available, said Gail Lissner, managing director for Integra Realty Resources...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/real...5e225348&ei=15
Not a big number. Toronto builds that many every two to three months.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 8:08 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Yep.

Everything big is rental right now.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 8:37 PM

Having everything be rentals helps prevent future NIMBYs, which allows for more construction in downtown

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 8:55 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Having everything be rentals helps prevent future NIMBYs, which allows for more construction in downtown
True. Highrise owners tend to be be WAY more invested, both literally and figuratively, than renters in keeping their surroundings the way they are (ie. throwing every complaint against the wall to try and stop development that might block "their" view).

Last edited by Steely Dan; Apr 11, 2024 at 9:27 PM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 9:00 PM

The funny thing is that NYC is the opposite. Since the idiots in Albany got rid of 421-A, making rental development virtually impossible, nothing is being built but condos.

Hopefully a legislative solution is imminent, in the next few days (they're wrapping up the budget, and supposedly there's a 421-A replacement).

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 10:29 PM
Never Dell

Most Seattle projects are rentals too...most highrises and 99% of anything shorter. It's all about condo liability laws.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 1:15 AM

the article says since 2015 around 31,000 rental units have been built downtown, including Gold Coast, River North, South Loop and the West Loop

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 1:26 AM

Didn't we have an exact post like this years ago?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 1:57 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Didn't we have an exact post like this years ago?
A quick title search of this sub-forum for "Chicago" and "condo" turned up nothing else, going back to 2007.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 4:58 AM
DENNAB

Man, I forget if Tribune East was condos or rentals but I hope it bounces back quick.

Although as mentioned I feel like we've heard this before, even before the last boom.

How are Toronto's demand / interest rates in such a better place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Most Seattle projects are rentals too...most highrises and 99% of anything shorter. It's all about condo liability laws.
Is 4/C also condos or Rentals?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 11:35 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Man, I forget if Tribune East was condos or rentals.
When we last left it, it was mainly rentals and hotel, with some condos (like 100 IIRC) at the very top.

But with those kinds of uses, the ratios could be shifted without too much difficulty, since it's nowhere near the construction document stage.

And it's not likely to be starting anytime soon, if ever.....

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 2:16 PM
I am the law!

As far as I know, Toronto's vacancy rate is a fraction of Chicago's. The Canadian standards for a balanced rental market has been an unhealthy 2 to 4% vacancy.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 4:31 PM
Never Dell

Seattle's 4/C site is for sale, so the concept is probably dead.

The last concept was a mix of condo and apartment, but I'd suspect any new concept would be all apartment.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
A quick title search of this sub-forum for "Chicago" and "condo" turned up nothing else, going back to 2007.
Maybe somebody made it in a post and not a whole thread. I absolutely remember it being talked about here. Anyway yeah seems like this has been the case for awhile.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 5:32 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
When we last left it, it was mainly rentals and hotel, with some condos (like 100 IIRC) at the very top.

But with those kinds of uses, the ratios could be shifted without too much difficulty, since it's nowhere near the construction document stage.

And it's not likely to be starting anytime soon, if ever.....

Thanks, I figured they could reconfigure if needed.

I really hope that's not true, even if they have to scale it back a bit.

Quote:

The last concept was a mix of condo and apartment, but I'd suspect any new concept would be all apartment.
I was under the assumption that a new developer would build the current vision or something similar, if so, I guess they could also adjust usage.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 1:19 AM

High rise condos see awesome and scary. Like you almost have to let the building work out a few fiscal bug. Portland has some older 80s tower that are priced pretty well and have moderate hoa dues. However I could probably name at least 8 building from the last 15 years that were built with some kind of defect. Even right now we have two huge towers built within the last few years with inoperable hvac systems. Thats crazy. One bldg was quoted at 7 million for repairs. Fck that. I stick to my townhouse.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post

Most condos being built these days are apartments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
High rise condos see awesome and scary. Like you almost have to let the building work out a few fiscal bug. Portland has some older 80s tower that are priced pretty well and have moderate hoa dues. However I could probably name at least 8 building from the last 15 years that were built with some kind of defect. Even right now we have two huge towers built within the last few years with inoperable hvac systems. Thats crazy. One bldg was quoted at 7 million for repairs. Fck that. I stick to my townhouse.
Condo townhouse or freehold townhouse?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
Most condos being built these days are apartments.

Condo townhouse or freehold townhouse?
Freehold I guess. I own the taxlot, all 30 x 60 ft! We do have an hoa but its mostly for landscaping and a reserve for communal stuff like gutters or roof repairs otherwise all repairs are on you. As my first foray into homeownership its been pretty good. The market is kind of flat for stuff like this but thats ok. Id still live in a big tower but I'd go thru their books pretty well before I pulled the trigger.

Last edited by pdxtex; Apr 13, 2024 at 2:31 AM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
Freehold I guess. I own the taxlot, all 30 x 60 ft! We do have an hoa but its mostly for landscaping and a reserve for communal stuff like gutters or roof repairs otherwise all repairs are on you.
Ah, if there is communal maintenance then it is condominium. My mom's townhouse is freehold, so landscaping and maintenance is her responsibility, no monthly maintenance fee. The street and sidewalks are all municipally owned as well. It's like a semi-detached house because her unit is an end unit. It's about 8m wide, 32m deep, if you don't count the munipical-owned part of the street (aka. the "boulevard"), which is around 25 x 100ft if I am not mistaken.

There is a lot of potential for increased density even without high rises. People talk about condo owners caring too much their neighbourhoods, but is it really good to have a neighbourhood full of people who don't care (i.e. renters)? Sometimes a balance is needed: condo vs. rental units, townhouses vs. apartments, high-rise vs. mid-rise vs. low-rise.

Chicago used to have 3.5 million people, now it has 2.7 million? I'm not sure many more high-rise residential buildings need to be built there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions