HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 6:10 AM

The Rindge Block NE corner W 3rd & Broadway

I just read on the net that the fast food building on the NE corner of W 3rd and S Broadway is the 1898 Rindge Block cut down.

Does anyone have an opinion on that?

uscdl (detail)

gsv

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 7:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
I just read on the net that the fast food building on the NE corner of W 3rd and S Broadway is the 1898 Rindge Block cut down.

uscdl (detail)

gsv
That could be very true. The top two stories were removed at some time in the past. The current building facade appears to follow the original 1898 format.

from NoirLA page

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Apr 21, 2015 at 7:41 AM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

below: I've been trying to decipher what it says above this entrance. (I can read Hotel Figueroa and that's about it)

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/re...oll44/id/90469
I think it says "EMPLOYEE & ????? ENTRANCE" - I can't makeout the word on the right.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 1:30 PM

County records indicate a build date of 1898 with an "effective" build date of 1980.

LAPL

Quote:

uscdl (detail)

gsv

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Apr 21, 2015 at 2:30 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 3:10 PM

The other day I happened across this octagonal bungalow on the southeast corner of Melrose and N. Westmoreland.

gsv

gsv

gsv

I was hoping someone might have some information on this unique building.

__

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 3:16 PM

I also came across this oddity on the 800 block of Lucile Avenue. A John Deere truck with fins.

gsv

gsv
__

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 4:03 PM

Thank you for the follow-ups on the Rindge Block. A painful "save". If anyone has any transition pix of the Rindge, I'd love to see them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I think it says "EMPLOYEE & ????? ENTRANCE" - I can't makeout the word on the right.
"Tradesmen"

Last edited by tovangar2; Apr 21, 2015 at 6:05 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 5:49 PM

Thanks, tovangar2. I was trying to think of possible words and then trying to fit them to the picture, but that wasn't one that came to mind.

------------

The seller dates this slide at 1960. I found the Tampico Club in various CDs from the 1960s at 1943 E 1st Street. I think this was taken from under the Golden State Freeway.

eBay

You'll now find Pepe's Thrifty Shop at 1943 E 1st Street. The proportions look about right for it to be the same building. BTW has GW been out with the chainsaw, because all the earlier GSV images show big bushy trees along the sidewalk .

GSV

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Stylish Mother and child on the grounds of the Ambassador Hotel, Los Angeles.

old file of mine / possibly ebay
__
This goes back a ways, sorry but unless I miss my guess these two work for Blue Book Models (I think the hat box being carried by the child is a prop and says Blue Book Models on the top). This agency seemed to specialize in high fashion women and kids and had an office (maybe its headquarters) in the Ambassador. I believe Marilyn Monroe worked for them for a time.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 6:29 PM

Blue Book Models

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
I believe Marilyn Monroe worked for them for a time.

altscreen

More here and here

Info on the Blue Book Agency owned by Buckeye Emmeline Snively

Last edited by tovangar2; Apr 21, 2015 at 8:47 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Buckeye Emmeline Snively
Wasn't she on Designing Women? Maybe it was her sister.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 8:31 PM

Eileen Seeley? LOL, I had to look that up. I don't have TV

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Eileen Seeley? LOL, I had to look that up. I don't have TV
It was an Annie Potts reference to show how sophisticated I am.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 9:13 PM

Quote:
The other day I happened across this octagonal bungalow on the southeast corner of Melrose and N. Westmoreland.

gsv

gsv

gsv

I was hoping someone might have some information on this unique building.

__
It is currently called "The Church on Melrose" but was apparently built as a Methodist church. The Assessor's office indicated that the first building on the property was built in 1910. The website of the congregation which built the church has an article in their archives which indicates that it was built to replace a tent church that was there since 1904. The second building was built in 1920. It is unclear from the Assessor which building was built first since it does not show which is which other than "improvement 1" and "Improvement 2".

Googling the "church on Melrose" brings up their webpage, but other than a picture of pews behind the heading, there are no other interior pictures of the church. The pews are curved to match the shape of the building and are carved which would indicate that they are original.

The congregation which originally built the building, The Pitner Methodist Church, subsequently moved to Rosewood and New Hampshire where they built a new brick church which is now called The Rosewood Methodist Church. The "new" church is very nice too, but much more "churchlike" than the old building

Last edited by oldstuff; Apr 21, 2015 at 9:46 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 9:28 PM

Thank you oldstuff.

There's a wiki page on Octagon Houses and a wiki list too. They were suppose to let in more light and be cheaper b/c they only needed shorter lengths of lumber.

google maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
It was an Annie Potts reference to show how sophisticated I am.
...but I'm not. You can take the girl out of Hermosa Beach...and etc :-)

Last edited by tovangar2; Apr 21, 2015 at 9:38 PM. Reason: add photo

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 9:34 PM

Thanks all who recently posted photos and links about the California Incline.

A little more noir?

ABC7/MalibuTimes/CBS2

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 10:18 PM

California Incline

Construction on the California Incline is expected to take a year+

A little twilight glamour:

LAT/marcus yam

Last edited by tovangar2; Apr 21, 2015 at 10:27 PM. Reason: add photog credit

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 10:24 PM

I found this slide at the same time as the Tampico Club one I posted earlier, although I had a little more trouble identifying the location. The building in the center looked familiar, but the text at the top wasn't that clear. Eventually I decided that it said "J S Schirm ????", a name related to a building materials company based at 841 Ducommun Street. It wasn't until I Googled "J S Schirm Building" that I found the true location.

eBay

The reason the building looked familiar is that it's the same one that can be seen on the left of this slide of E 1st Street at N Cummings Street.

Quote:
This is the "now" picture I posted back in post #25569.

GSV

And here's the writing that I was trying to decipher.

GSV

I really should've got this one quicker - the photographer was less than 50 yards from where the Tampico Club slide was taken from!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 10:56 PM

Pacific Sunset Motel

I saw this Flickr image on a page about motel postcards, but this probably isn't a postcard of the Sunset Pacific Motel at 4301 Sunset Blvd. in Silverlake, as it's decidedly in disrepair. I love the little red antennae!

Looking further I couldn't find any information about when it was built, or a postcard or matchbook
cover or anything, perhaps someone can find something from the 60's or earlier? But..the motel
has been on the community's radar for other reasons it appears.

This 2002 L.A. Times article says the owner of the motel, open at the time, could lose it's
operating permit: "the police describe the three-story, 37-room building at 4301 Sunset Blvd. as one
of the city's most dangerous properties."

Yikes! The article goes on to say that "neighborhood residents have been trying to get city officials to shut down the place for about 20 years." That would've been since 1982 when the article was written!

The owner, Edward Eng, owned the place since the mid-1960's and had a different view.

He denies that anything improper happens there. He contends that the Los Angeles Police Department pays homeless people to linger around to make him look bad. "I'm telling you this is a frame-up," said Eng, who lives in Los Feliz. "The people standing in the stairwell, they're not selling drugs, they're just standing there."

This article seems to be the culmination of legal troubles for Eng, with mutilple fines levied against him for code violations being ignored and repairs never happening. Eng seemed to be willing to give it up at this point with a potential buyer offering $1.5 million for the property.

A resident recalls happier days: For Rebecca Acuna, who moved to the area in the 1960s, the conditions are disappointing. She remembers when the motel was well-maintained and even had a pool, which has since been cemented over. "Families from out of state stayed there," she said. "When nearby residents had no room in their homes for guests, they would direct them to the motel. You could walk by there and nobody bothered you," Acuna said.

The motel shut down, but this is a recent aerial of the property in question and it's still vacant.

The aerial is from Loop Net, showcasing two areas for property development near Sunset Junction.
The 4301 address of the motel property is outlined in yellow on the left. The other property address is 4100 Sunset Blvd.

L.A. Weekly

The abandoned property has been vacant for years. Since before that 2002 article, and to the present day, the motel has been called by neighborhood residents "The Bates Motel." One reason is that the motel is at the corner of Sunset Boulevard and Bates Avenue. The other reason is that the place is creepy, evoking images of "Psycho." [And the Bates Motel series, I'd guess.]

Ceratainly sounds like prime noir material.

Flickr

Even though it's been abandoned, a group was allowed to have a Halloween party there
at one time where various rooms had local artwork and admittance fees went to a charity.
The event was called "Norman's Mother's Halloween Party @ Bates Motel."

(There was no date on the website's blog entry as to when the above were taken.)

A 2009 photo. Locals tagged the artwork at top right "Fire Monkey."

Joshua Malbin

In 2010 a photographer photographed some of the graffiti artwork that had been painted on the motel:

Alan M. Pavlik

Alan M. Pavlik

And at present, while the property is still being argued about and trying to be sold and developed, an
artist named Vincent Lamouroux, got permission to cover the building from top to bottom in lime wash.
The result is a piece of art he calls "Projection L.A."

http://projectionla.org/

L.A. Weekly

Even a billboard and the adjacent palm trees got the white-out treatment.

As desribed by the artist:

The urban space is disrupted. An abandoned space is transfigured and enhanced, perhaps eluding its last glory. The motel's intriguing aspect is accommodating an imagery drive away from our habitual quest for sameness.

The official public unveiling of the artwork is slated for this Sunday, April 26th, but, as you can see, it's hard to avoid getting a stunning eyeful before its proper debut.
Eastsider L.A.

Vincent Lamouroux: Just as the Silver Lake neighborhood itself has transformed radically in recent years, and continues to evolve, so to will the artist’s iteration of the motel embody a transformation, surrendering and passage; the white surface of its facade will be a symbolic invitation to project our ideas about both its mythic past and its indeterminate future.

I'd like to see some photos of this at night, but haven't come across any yet.

"I'm ready for my close-up."

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 10:58 PM

Quote:
I also came across this oddity on the 800 block of Lucile Avenue. A John Deere truck with fins.

gsv

gsv
__
Well ER, I was sufficiently intrigued by your John Deer pickup truck to take a drive down Lucile Avenue from the opposite direction so I could get a look at the front of the truck. I knew it had started out life as a 1957 GMC or Chevy, and it turns out it is the latter. All I can say is its probably a good thing that those custom fins are only made of fiberglass as anything stronger could cause grievous bodily harm!

Cheers,
Jack

Last edited by Wig-Wag; Apr 22, 2015 at 1:16 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos