HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 7:30 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
You see, the whole goal of the "liberal bullshit" is not to guarantee equal outcomes, but to level the playing field so that all may have an equal chance at success.
Well stated. I don't mean to belittle your grander argument by focusing on this alone, as your entire post was excellent, but this is a point that I wish more liberals would drive home with regularity.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 7:31 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
TUP, the only reason you get blowback is because you approach sensitive issues with all the grace of two epileptics sharing a bowl of noodles.
I lol'ed at this one.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 7:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
I don't think this is a list that I would want my city to score highly on. Just means a lot of positions/contracts are awarded to fill quotas rather than on merit. Chicago's minority contracting rules are a joke.
I'm gonna guess you're white.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Nah... true equality would not scare the fuck out of me. I imagine it would scare you a bit though. You see, the whole goal of the "liberal bullshit" is not to guarantee equal outcomes, but to level the playing field so that all may have an equal chance at success. To date, there has been little success in this endeavor due to privileged whites having come to believe that they are entitled to their privilege when in fact they are not and only came by it by force and oppression. If all had equal chance, your entire paradigm would be wobbling beneath your feet.

When speaking specifically of the South, do not presume to lecture me. My family has lived in Western North Carolina since before the United States was a free country. I also have quite a bit of Cherokee blood in me, which means my roots go back way farther than even the 1770's when the Europeans in my lineage planted themselves here.

Speaking specifically of Blacks, you seem either ignorant or willfully stupid of the effects of systemic racism. Piss on an entire community of people since their entry onto this continent and you cannot expect them all to come out smelling like rosewater. The fact that so many have overcome is a testament to strength, but the fact that so many languish is a testament to pervasiveness and tenacity of basic human cruelty. There is no such thing, to date, as equal opportunity in this country, but I understand the comfort of the fiction that there is, so I'll not fault you for believing a pleasant lie.

Now, to turn this discussion back on topic, this thread discusses gay and lesbian equality in urban areas. The entire reason laws are needed to enforce equality for gays and lesbians though is because we offend conservatives who would like for our teenagers to continue killing themselves off and who would prefer we not fight back when we are set on fire in hotel rooms in downtown Greensboro, or when we are killed in parks in Texas, or when we are beaten senseless in downtown Philadelphia, shot to death in Seattle, or lashed to fences and left to die in Laramie, Wyoming. Our existence threatens conservatives, who have fought very hard for their right to hate us. Laws are needed to level the playing field, just as they are needed to level it for every other minority, plus women, who have been historically and who are today denied what you enjoy without a thought or a care.

Having said all that, it leads me back to one of your other statements. You say that all people are equal except for "conservatives or any other unenlightened redneck." I would actually tend to agree with you because the cruelty and stupidity that mark modern conservatism and which are proud hallmarks of the average "redneck," are not inborn traits, unlike race or sexuality. They are, in fact, pathologies and are nothing to be proud of. In fact, they enshrine the two things that my mother -- a very wise woman -- once told me were the two very worst things in the world to be. The two worst things in the world to be, she said, are cruel and stupid. Don't be those things.

And therefore I am not.
You are a cool and smart dude. Nice post.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Nah... true equality would not scare the fuck out of me. I imagine it would scare you a bit though. You see, the whole goal of the "liberal bullshit" is not to guarantee equal outcomes, but to level the playing field so that all may have an equal chance at success. To date, there has been little success in this endeavor due to privileged whites having come to believe that they are entitled to their privilege when in fact they are not and only came by it by force and oppression. If all had equal chance, your entire paradigm would be wobbling beneath your feet.

When speaking specifically of the South, do not presume to lecture me. My family has lived in Western North Carolina since before the United States was a free country. I also have quite a bit of Cherokee blood in me, which means my roots go back way farther than even the 1770's when the Europeans in my lineage planted themselves here.

Speaking specifically of Blacks, you seem either ignorant or willfully stupid of the effects of systemic racism. Piss on an entire community of people since their entry onto this continent and you cannot expect them all to come out smelling like rosewater. The fact that so many have overcome is a testament to strength, but the fact that so many languish is a testament to pervasiveness and tenacity of basic human cruelty. There is no such thing, to date, as equal opportunity in this country, but I understand the comfort of the fiction that there is, so I'll not fault you for believing a pleasant lie.

Now, to turn this discussion back on topic, this thread discusses gay and lesbian equality in urban areas. The entire reason laws are needed to enforce equality for gays and lesbians though is because we offend conservatives who would like for our teenagers to continue killing themselves off and who would prefer we not fight back when we are set on fire in hotel rooms in downtown Greensboro, or when we are killed in parks in Texas, or when we are beaten senseless in downtown Philadelphia, shot to death in Seattle, or lashed to fences and left to die in Laramie, Wyoming. Our existence threatens conservatives, who have fought very hard for their right to hate us. Laws are needed to level the playing field, just as they are needed to level it for every other minority, plus women, who have been historically and who are today denied what you enjoy without a thought or a care.

Having said all that, it leads me back to one of your other statements. You say that all people are equal except for "conservatives or any other unenlightened redneck." I would actually tend to agree with you because the cruelty and stupidity that mark modern conservatism and which are proud hallmarks of the average "redneck," are not inborn traits, unlike race or sexuality. They are, in fact, pathologies and are nothing to be proud of. In fact, they enshrine the two things that my mother -- a very wise woman -- once told me were the two very worst things in the world to be. The two worst things in the world to be, she said, are cruel and stupid. Don't be those things.

And therefore I am not.
Well done. Thank you.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 5:21 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Well stated. I don't mean to belittle your grander argument by focusing on this alone, as your entire post was excellent, but this is a point that I wish more liberals would drive home with regularity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech12 View Post
You are a cool and smart dude. Nice post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaskyfan View Post
Well done. Thank you.
Aw, shucks, you guys... It wasn't quite worthy of dropping the mic, but I think it got the point across. Thanks for noticing.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 1:55 AM

Quote:

And therefore I am not.
My dads great grandma took her three kids from Poland to the USA during WW2. Great grandpa was killed off, shot with other men in their town and left to decompose outside in a ditch. They were white Jews. She came here, worked in a factory in Brooklyn and raised her kids the best she could. Fast forward, my dads parents split up. His dad was not around. His mom was on welfare with 3 boys in a 2 bedroom apartment. My mom grew up in a 3 bedroom house with 7 brothers and sisters. My parents are now quite well off.

It had nothing to do with white privilege. You people need to wake up and get in the real world. My parents worked their asses off. Still do. Only thing that got them to where they are today is hard work. Anybody can do hardwork.

And to you admitting you hate rednecks and conservatives. Great. That just shows how ignorant and small your worldview is. I say this because if you hate rednecks and conservatives because of their beliefs, you probably would also hate the entire islamic world and most of Africa. Good on you, you hate like 2 billion people. Now who is spreading hate?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 1:59 AM

You hate half the country btw. Yet I am a evil conservative and I hate no one. Gay or liberal. Problem with liberals, your politics is your religion. So you hate others who do not believe in your deity, government. We simply have a different view on FEDERAL government involvement, and for that, I am cruel. I just call you wrong.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 2:37 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
And to you admitting you hate rednecks and conservatives. Great. That just shows how ignorant and small your worldview is. I say this because if you hate rednecks and conservatives because of their beliefs, you probably would also hate the entire islamic world and most of Africa. Good on you, you hate like 2 billion people. Now who is spreading hate?
Uh, no. That is a conclusion which does not follow from a premise he didn't even advance anyway.

Quote:
You hate half the country btw. Yet I am a evil conservative and I hate no one. Gay or liberal. Problem with liberals, your politics is your religion. So you hate others who do not believe in your deity, government. We simply have a different view on FEDERAL government involvement, and for that, I am cruel. I just call you wrong.
Cool story, bro.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 2:40 AM

It would be nice to get back to the actual topic of the thread: cities where equality is deemed very important.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Projecting something that wasn't said and playing the victim card, nice tactic!

I'm sure you're a decent, nice guy. But when a political group gets together and conspires to keep rights from others (which is what happens often), when a political group gets together and conspires to destroy government (which is absolutely happening) you can't honestly expect an opposition voice to just sit down and accept those actions.

My friend, your political views are every bit as religious as those you're calling out to be the same. Before you play the victim card, be sure to understand what you're saying. No one has called you personally evil that I can see.

What I can tell you is that rights aren't gained by sitting down and accepting the status quo, rights are gained by fighting those who are against your interests. And yes, that means calling out conservatives when they stand up against gay marriage. If you don't see a role for government or a role for public discourse on this issue, that by definition is protecting the conservative status quo by ignoring an issue that needs addressing. Sorry, but no one has called you evil. The political movement that keeps people from rights, however, is fair game.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 5:54 AM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Good on you. I'm impressed by your ancestors' story, but I'd like to know how you expect that same kind of bootstrap tugging to go on in an America where most every job that would allow it has been outsourced to China, Vietnam, or India. I'd also like for you to explain why -- if you hate no one -- the conservative movement as a whole has dedicated itself to denying rights to gays, and who by various means of voter suppression, are denying rights to minorities.

Why, if you hate no one? Conservatives have made and are fighting to keep discrimination one of the pillars of law. The fact that hate has been enshrined in law is the very reason cities have had to act by municipal law against it, and that is why we are talking about it in this very thread.

Lastly, don't you tell me what my religion is. I know where I worship and I know Who I worship and it isn't and He isn't at the goddamn Capitol.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Last edited by hauntedheadnc; Nov 22, 2014 at 8:43 AM.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 7:29 AM

Quote:
*yawn* Typical liberal bullshit.

True equality would scare the fuck out of you.
Considering this is how you opted to start and then end your first statements on this topic, I question whether you really want dialogue on these issues.

We all need to calm down a bit and not over-react to people who aren't interested in engaging in meaningful dialogue.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 9:57 AM
International

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Suburban preacher, er, "the urban politician": you are a scam. Neither a politician nor an urbanite be...
"suburban preacher"

Old Posted Nov 23, 2014, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Nevergold View Post
Projecting something that wasn't said and playing the victim card, nice tactic!

I'm sure you're a decent, nice guy. But when a political group gets together and conspires to keep rights from others (which is what happens often), when a political group gets together and conspires to destroy government (which is absolutely happening) you can't honestly expect an opposition voice to just sit down and accept those actions.

My friend, your political views are every bit as religious as those you're calling out to be the same. Before you play the victim card, be sure to understand what you're saying. No one has called you personally evil that I can see.

What I can tell you is that rights aren't gained by sitting down and accepting the status quo, rights are gained by fighting those who are against your interests. And yes, that means calling out conservatives when they stand up against gay marriage. If you don't see a role for government or a role for public discourse on this issue, that by definition is protecting the conservative status quo by ignoring an issue that needs addressing. Sorry, but no one has called you evil. The political movement that keeps people from rights, however, is fair game.
You have a way with words that most people don't. Keep up the good work.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2014, 8:58 AM

I've heard everything in the political book. There's plenty stupid Democrats, but stupid Democrats tend to keep quiet when they know they don't know what they're talking about. Most of them, anyway... Today's conservatives tend to be aggressively ignorant and reactionary. Don't know what they're talking about? They don't care, they've got loud mouths and will tell you how to do things anyway.

Don't believe in climate change? Just repeat its a hoax for big government to take over and control your lives. Stop, rewind, repeat in some form or fashion.

Want to teach kids in Texas that the constitution and US government were built on Christianity? Just do it and forget historic dialectic.
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/07...ans-will-hate/

Don't like a bill that is over 10 pages, which makes it way too complicated to read? Then just call it too much big government and stand against it.

This is really all that binds the right together: laziness and aggressive ignorance, combined with a little hate toward minority groups who are perceived to be taking over the country since they're now allowed in the debate.

Conservatives spent decades demonizing liberalism, its about time conservatives face some of their own medicine. Afterall, if you polled Americans, how many of them would realize the first President was a self-identified liberal who often spoke about how to implement liberal principles in the new nation to move it forward from old dogma and ways of the old world? Rhetoric from the right has dumbed down political debate in this country. They think just standing for the principle of small government makes them profound followers of the founding fathers, but their problem is that not many have read any material from the people they supposedly follow, or that most of them were liberals fighting to get away from the English tories.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 5:52 AM

Quote:

And therefore I am not.
I think I love you! Brilliantly eloquent and powerfully unapologetic. If only our leaders held such convictions we might not have been trounced last midterm.

As for 100023 Badger, sorry, commenting on a thread without even bothering to even glance at the link is, well, stupid. When you do something like that on a forum, expect to be called out. It's one of the reasons I like this forum. It's one of the few places the internet trolls and intellectually lazy get their comeuppance.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 7:05 AM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta View Post
I think I love you! Brilliantly eloquent and powerfully unapologetic. If only our leaders held such convictions we might not have been trounced last midterm.
Then how come you never call me darling anymore? I thought what we had was special...

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:

And therefore I am not.
I'm sorry, that's a bunch of bullshit that there hasn't been much success in this endeavor. Take that guilt trip somewhere else. Of course there's still racism, which is by no means a white phenomenon, but people just make stupid decisions that keeps them in poverty.

And you need to get out in the world, and take those generalizations with you about conservatives. You aren't looking any more enlightened from my perspective just because you scream about equality.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta View Post

As for 100023 Badger, sorry, commenting on a thread without even bothering to even glance at the link is, well, stupid. When you do something like that on a forum, expect to be called out. It's one of the reasons I like this forum. It's one of the few places the internet trolls and intellectually lazy get their comeuppance.
They got trounced because of those sentiments.... People care about the economy and democrats didn't talk about positive nearly enough. It's a dog eat dog world and democrats played too nice.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions