HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 6:22 PM

A strikingly beautiful business card (1920s? -1930s?)

ebay

976-978 San Julian Street

GSV

GSV

GSV

Makes me wish I could knock on the door and find Louie.
__

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 9:07 PM

[QUOTE=ethereal_reality;6557718]A strikingly beautiful business card (1920s? -1930s?)

ebay

“Big Louie” as he was called was indeed big. We used to buy boxes of tomatoes and other vegetables from him in the mid fifties. Later we would go to Paul’s Cafe where the cooks would make me a Cha-Chu (spelling) sandwich with mayo. My father would buy a try of Gordon’s Bread which we froze for later use. Those were the days.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 11:44 PM

Was this the place?

Google Street View

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 11:48 PM
BANNED

Miss Brew 102

This local Los Angeles brewery was not only a long time eyesore in downtown LA it was considered a lousy beer....absolute rotgut. The can at the right is selling for $40 if you're a collector of such memorabilia. If you ordered a 102 in a bar, the bartender would look at you as if you were from out of town or just a dweeb.

Art Adams and Irving C. Smith, Tavern Trove

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Apr 30, 2014 at 12:05 AM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2014, 11:52 PM

http://www.pacificelectric.org/tag/m...ection/page/7/

OK, silly question (not my first): Where exactly was Mira Mar back then?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 12:17 AM
I Like Turtles!

A "Little Bit" of Hollywood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
..another photograph from Universal City.

A coal mine set dated 1910.

ebay

Does anyone know what movie this might have been built for? 1910 is awfully early.
__
I've been in the photo industry since 1988, and to me this image looks like a miniature model. The depth of field, structure detailing, and ground cover seem a little off for a full-size set.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 12:24 AM

The 102 brewery was an eyesore? Jesus. Who knew?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 2:04 AM

Paul’s Cafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredH View Post

Was this the place?

Google Street View
No, this is not the place. Paul’s was in the old wholesale produce market complex, about a block from Louie’s if I remember correctly. Next door was a salad lettuce packaging place.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 3:34 AM

Quote:

http://www.pacificelectric.org/tag/m...ection/page/7/

OK, silly question (not my first): Where exactly was Mira Mar back then?
Belmont Pier in Long Beach. It was the junction of a couple of PE's local lines.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 3:52 AM

Mira Mar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHuntington View Post
Belmont Pier in Long Beach. It was the junction of a couple of PE's local lines.
FredH, Henry Huntington, if you enjoy minutiae, The 1915 report by the California Railroad Commission granting the Pacific Electric permission to remove the junction makes for an interesting read.

The reports starts partway down page 767 here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=2yh...ectric&f=false

The link will jump to 769 so you will have to scroll up.

I am not sure how the change may have affected Tilton's Trolley Trip.

Cheers,
Jack

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 5:08 AM

Very interesting Wig-Wag. I tried to follow on a current map, and you can still see some of the right-of-ways cutting through the city. I believe a couple of years ago, someone had a post which followed the rail line all the way from L.A. to Long Beach. On Ocean Avenue, I assume that the tracks were in between the divided streets? I am not that familiar with Long Beach, but our younger son is down there in grad school and we did some apartment hunting a couple years ago. I can't imagine a train running along Ocean Blvd. That would be something to see.

And thanks HenryHuntington, I found the old Mira Mar too. I guess from there they headed west and then back to L.A.

Last edited by FredH; Apr 30, 2014 at 5:29 AM.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScott View Post
Here's an enhanced close-up:

Huntington Digital Library
Thanks for the enhanced pic, really just makes it all the more intriguing. It's so fascinating, definitely very "old West" with the false front. Amazing how the world around it developed so radically, yet it survived for so long. I'd guess that it could even date from the 1870's. Perhaps?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 2:28 PM

In the news today, actor Bob Hoskins has at the age of 71. Although he'll rightly be remembered for gritty British movies like 'The Long Good Friday' and 'Mona Lisa' (for which he received an Academy Award nomination), it's hard not to think of him as neo-noir detective Eddie Valiant in 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit'.

disneyscreencaps.com

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
..another photograph from Universal City.

A coal mine set dated 1910.

ebay

Does anyone know what movie this might have been built for? 1910 is awfully early.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albany NY View Post
I've been in the photo industry since 1988, and to me this image looks like a miniature model. The depth of field, structure detailing, and ground cover seem a little off for a full-size set.
A miniature was my first thought too. Having said that, I did find the article below in the July 1922 edition of Picture Play Magazine. Discussing Universal City, it says "Among these permanent sets there is a gold mine with all its accompanying machinery and buildings, a coal mine, a subway, a New York slum street, an ocean liner at a wharf, extensive sections of Monte Carlo, Japan, and India."

www.archive.org

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 3:07 PM

I don't see any spikes holding those rails to the cross ties. I vote for model :-)

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
A miniature was my first thought too. Having said that, I did find the article below in the July 1922 edition of Picture Play Magazine. Discussing Universal City, it says "Among these permanent sets there is a gold mine with all its accompanying machinery and buildings, a coal mine, a subway, a New York slum street, an ocean liner at a wharf, extensive sections of Monte Carlo, Japan, and India."

www.archive.org

It was not unheard of to have have both a model set and a life-size version for several reasons, including special effects and reduced costs. Strange that the models seem to outlive some of their life-size cousins. Recall seeing a model of the Richfield Tower.

Speaking of miniatures, I don't recall FLloydWright's "La Miniatura" Pasadena home may not have been mention on NLA - yet. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millard_House

Built in '23
http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics29/00034213.jpg

http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics29/00034215.jpg

http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics29/00034214.jpg

Contemporary
http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/cas/fna...w/millard1.jpg

More on Wright's California homes: http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/cas/fna...FLW_calif.html

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 5:12 PM

Long Beach Line

Quote:

Very interesting Wig-Wag. I tried to follow on a current map, and you can still see some of the right-of-ways cutting through the city. I believe a couple of years ago, someone had a post which followed the rail line all the way from L.A. to Long Beach. On Ocean Avenue, I assume that the tracks were in between the divided streets? I am not that familiar with Long Beach, but our younger son is down there in grad school and we did some apartment hunting a couple years ago. I can't imagine a train running along Ocean Blvd. That would be something to see.

And thanks HenryHuntington, I found the old Mira Mar too. I guess from there they headed west and then back to L.A.
Fred, on the same website where you found the Tilton's brochure you can find a number of photos taken along the route of the Long Beach Line.
Unfortunately, The photos are mixed in with photos from other Southern District routes and there are 73 pages of them!

As to trains on Ocean Avenue and Long Beach Boulevard, the length and number of cars varied with time, the seasons and commuting patterns (rush hours etc). In the last years of LAMTA operation trains were typically one or two cars long with additional cars being added during rush hours and on weekends. I personally never rode a train exceeding four cars, but I am sure that was just my bad luck!

This link is to page 11 of the Southern District, where, if you scroll down you will find a photo of five 1200 class cars on Ocean Avenue. An impressive sight to say the least.

http://www.pacificelectric.org/categ...trict/page/11/

Also, on the same site see Ray Younghan's annotated 1911 PE Map in the Orange Empire Railway Museum collection. The train movements are a bit hard to read but most of the early junctions and stations can be found.

Cheers,
Jack

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 5:33 PM

The Ville de Paris department store (further up 7th in the top picture) has been briefly mentioned before on NLA. Here's their advert from the 1921 CD.

LAPL[/QUOTE]

Any relation to the City of Paris department store in San Francisco, I wonder?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 7:31 PM

BSLA

There is a connection via the Fusenot family...check it out here:

http://www.berkeleysquarelosangeles....fairchild.html

Old Posted Apr 30, 2014, 8:27 PM

This post started out as a simple "then and now", but soon grew. This first picture is looking north up Western Avenue at 6th in 1924. The building on the far left is still there, and I'll return to it below.

USC Digital Library

A couple of years later and the new Pacific-Southwest Trust and Savings Bank branch on the northeast corner of Western and 6th is nearly finished.

USC Digital Library

The signs in the windows indicate that the Sixth & Western branch was still located at 3915 W 6th Street when this picture was taken. Above the entrance is a window advertising the Barnett System of Growing Hair - see below.

USC Digital Library

When it opened, the branch was filled with flowers.

USC Digital Library

I can't help wondering why they spent money carving the stone above the entrance when it was immediately covered by a large sign.

USC Digital Library

Aside from losing its entrance detail, the building is still looking pretty good.

GSV

Here's a better view of the building on the southwest corner of the intersection. It's part of the same 1927 set of photos that myself and GW posted pictures from a few pages ago. The first floor looks pretty rough nowadays, but above that it looks like most of the details remain.

USC Digital Library

I had a look for information on the Barnett System of Growing Hair. I found references in three City Directories, all at different addresses. The 1923 address puts them in the building I discussed in the picture above.

LAPL

I also came across this advert in a 1923 edition of the Berkeley Daily Gazette.

news.google.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos