HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I do agree that it is unfortunate that the tracks running down 4th were not utilized between the cc and Seaholm. That is something that we are paying for with regret. At least im regretting it.
I thoroughly regret that AND not turning Seaholm into a public market. Huge opportunity blown.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 6:24 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Signed.
Do you understand the massive undertaking it is to bury an existing highway? You'll likely be adding an extra year to construction and more lanes that have to be closed. People better get used to using the new Bergstrom expressway.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I do agree that it is unfortunate that the tracks running down 4th were not utilized between the cc and Seaholm. That is something that we are paying for with regret. At least im regretting it.
I'm basically in favor of any/all rail expansions. But there's some pretty big shortcomings with trying to extend the red line through downtown.

It'd be a pretty big disruption to most N/S streets downtown. I'm not exactly sure of the regulations, they might not require crossing guards everywhere, but it would definitely prevent N/S travel for a while as it (slowly) crosses downtown.

And even after all that, if you're just going across on 4th, you still end up a couple blocks away from Seaholm.
In the short/medium term, maybe better to just use a downtown circulator like what CapMetro is proposing.

My ideal long term would be electrification (EMUs instead of DMUs) and cut/cap the line over to (at least) republic square.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 6:43 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post
Do you understand the massive undertaking it is to bury an existing highway? You'll likely be adding an extra year to construction and more lanes that have to be closed. People better get used to using the new Bergstrom expressway.
Yes, I do -- but it is better for the city in the long run.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 9:39 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Yes, I do -- but it is better for the city in the long run.
Yup. Even after all the freaking out in Boston about the Big Dig, everyone ended up being happy with the result, and the same can be said for several similar projects in other cities. Seattle will be happy with the final result of their waterfront freeway takedown, if they can ever actually finish it.

Taking 35 below grade and reconnecting that part of the city would be such an incredible win for the city's future, it'd be worth the massive migraine it would create during construction. The process of doing it could be one of the biggest clusterfucks in American infrastructure history, and I'd still say it'd be worth it. But I've got no skin in the game, nothing to lose, so it's easy for me to armchair QB this proposal.

By the way, given that Seattle's been able to leave their elevated freeway open while digging the tunnel, does anyone know if the same could be possible for most of the tunneling in Austin? Obviously there'd have to be at least a year of 35 being closed, but maybe they can do the other year or five years without disrupting traffic?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post

By the way, given that Seattle's been able to leave their elevated freeway open while digging the tunnel, does anyone know if the same could be possible for most of the tunneling in Austin? Obviously there'd have to be at least a year of 35 being closed, but maybe they can do the other year or five years without disrupting traffic?
With at least the current proposals, the depressed (to be later capped) option is right below ground level. It's not a bored tunnel.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 12:39 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
Yup. Even after all the freaking out in Boston about the Big Dig, everyone ended up being happy with the result, and the same can be said for several similar projects in other cities. Seattle will be happy with the final result of their waterfront freeway takedown, if they can ever actually finish it.

Taking 35 below grade and reconnecting that part of the city would be such an incredible win for the city's future, it'd be worth the massive migraine it would create during construction. The process of doing it could be one of the biggest clusterfucks in American infrastructure history, and I'd still say it'd be worth it. But I've got no skin in the game, nothing to lose, so it's easy for me to armchair QB this proposal.

They're not actually digging exactly under the existing freeway's piers/posts. The tunnel will also be just 4 lanes (2 in each direction) vs the 6 lanes they have now (3 in each direction), so they are also losing capacity. It also doesn't carry that much truck traffic, which is directed to I-5 instead. Austin wants to add lanes to I-35, it also carries trucks. So comparing the two highways is slightly unfair, with different goals in mind.

And while the I-93 freeway through Boston, the Big Dig, is considered a success, it was more than just a single freeway. It included a new bridge and two tunnels towards the airport, beside lowering I-93 and capping it. It was so over-budget, the State of Massachusetts hasn't expanded anything else since. I haven't the slightest idea when they will be able to do anything else that's involves large sums of money.

Any construction, even patching potholes, is going to disrupt traffic. Lowering I-35 20 to 25 feet and capping it is going to create gridlock on I-35 for years. If TXDOT is going to do so, we might as well decide right now what to put on the cap. With right hand exits to the services roads on either side, there's going to be a fairly large median 60 to 80 feet wide. Surely Austin can find something better than just grass, shrubs, and trees.

Last edited by electricron; Aug 29, 2016 at 1:30 AM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 11:57 PM
World Traveler

Also signed it. What a moronic idea to even consider having it elevated all the way through...not a fan of that in the least.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 1:51 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
With at least the current proposals, the depressed (to be later capped) option is right below ground level. It's not a bored tunnel.

yea. The new section of 71 under riverside is a good example of what it would look like. Just imagine someone putting covers on it after the construction is done. The caps on 35 would be a CITY project that would have to be city funded and approved so good luck with that.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 2:03 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
yea. The new section of 71 under riverside is a good example of what it would look like. Just imagine someone putting covers on it after the construction is done. The caps on 35 would be a CITY project that would have to be city funded and approved so good luck with that.
I actually think we could get one of our several local billionaires to donate a significant portion in exchange for naming the park after them (or their son, as was the case in Dallas. I mean... all of these other parks are named after people. Zilker, for instance, is named after the guy who donated the land to the city. Could you imagine "Dell Park" driving through downtown with a huge new music festival happening every year (I could totally see ACL adding an outdoor festival portion, for instance). I mean, these are the things the city can pitch to people who care about their legacies long term. Because, let's be forreal with ourselves yall, anything built will remain for a very, very, very long time -- and that's a legacy.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 4:36 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
I actually think we could get one of our several local billionaires to donate a significant portion in exchange for naming the park after them (or their son, as was the case in Dallas. I mean... all of these other parks are named after people. Zilker, for instance, is named after the guy who donated the land to the city. Could you imagine "Dell Park" driving through downtown with a huge new music festival happening every year (I could totally see ACL adding an outdoor festival portion, for instance). I mean, these are the things the city can pitch to people who care about their legacies long term. Because, let's be forreal with ourselves yall, anything built will remain for a very, very, very long time -- and that's a legacy.
That's what I think should happen! But multiple donors could pay the bill as well. You could sell payment bricks with donor names on them and have thousands of sponsors for the park.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
That's what I think should happen! But multiple donors could pay the bill as well. You could sell payment bricks with donor names on them and have thousands of sponsors for the park.
There are so many strategies to help pay for this, tbh, and even the small strategies like that.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 8:45 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Do you understand the massive undertaking it is to bury an existing highway?
I do. Boston is booming after the Big Dig and downtown is a much, much nicer place. Well worth it.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...9d2394b58e.jpg

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I do. Boston is booming after the Big Dig and downtown is a much, much nicer place. Well worth it.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...9d2394b58e.jpg
Being a transportation thread, shouldn't someone mention that the SW MoPac-45 loop has been slain by the no-growth freaks..The voters approved it but in Austin the will of the voters means nothing. A few a-holes control this city..If any of you think the Grove will be built, you're dreaming

Old Posted Sep 3, 2016, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
Being a transportation thread, shouldn't someone mention that the SW MoPac-45 loop has been slain by the no-growth freaks..The voters approved it but in Austin the will of the voters means nothing. A few a-holes control this city..If any of you think the Grove will be built, you're dreaming
What news are you referring to?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2016, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
What news are you referring to?
Friday's Statesman

Old Posted Sep 5, 2016, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
Friday's Statesman
You mean

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news...-southw/nsFRM/

?

What "has been slain"? Theres been no ruling yet.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2016, 5:02 AM
Meh

http://www.kvue.com/news/local/first...stin/315177768
Quote:
First major intersection roundabout coming to Austin

Cori Coffin, KVUE 2:27 PM. CDT September 07, 2016

AUSTIN - Wednesday officials held a groundbreaking ceremony for the first roundabout at a major intersection in the city of Austin.

Austin Mayor Steve Adler joined engineers with Texas Department of Transportation, as well as state Sen. Kirk Watson, Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization Transportation Policy Board members and others to shovel the first few scoops of the ceremonial dirt.

The groundbreaking, although held at Interstate 35 and 51st Street, was actually for two projects.

The KVUE Insider - https://www.facebook.com/KVUEinsider...type=3&theater

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 5:55 PM

The gondolas idea won't go away...

https://communityimpact.com/austin/c...tation-option/

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2016, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The gondolas idea won't go away...

https://communityimpact.com/austin/c...tation-option/

Good. On the surface, it sounds like a really good idea. I think an actual feasibility study should be done before everybody completely poo-poos on it and throws out the idea. (Not that they haven't been poo-pooing already mind you.)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin