HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 2:44 AM
Meh

The mesh idea is interesting since it will create unique views. At certain points you'll see the design of the mesh and a sort of white mirage of sorts as you look directly across the surface of it, and then from other views more straight on, you'll see through it. That will create an interesting contrast between the white facade and the green canopy of the trees outside.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 2:48 AM
Closed account

Be annoying if you were in a wheelchair.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post
Be annoying if you were in a wheelchair.
Or prone to seizures.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 4:31 AM

The natural beauty of the Waller Cess Pool in that particular area is greatly exaggerated in those renderings.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 4:35 AM
Honored Member

I would be totally in love with this if it would look anything like it's pictured. It will be "interesting" to see what actually happens. It's possible that they'd have high motivation to keep it in top shape, aesthetically speaking, and I'm sure there's going to be a lot of lovely new landscaping to improve the surroundings, so this might not be as far from reality as the snarks are suggesting.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
The mesh idea is interesting since it will create unique views. At certain points you'll see the design of the mesh and a sort of white mirage of sorts as you look directly across the surface of it, and then from other views more straight on, you'll see through it. That will create an interesting contrast between the white facade and the green canopy of the trees outside.
It will be quite difficult to remove graffiti from the mesh.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 5:12 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Forget mesh. Give me windows that roll up and down with the push of a button. Down on nice days. Up on hot or rainy days. A/C when windows are up.

Someone else pony up the cash.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 4:07 PM

Re room count . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Looked at the rendering just now. I count 29 floors of rooms with 18 rooms on each side of the tower for a total of 36 rooms per floor. That adds up to 1044 rooms. Maybe I miscounted room windows since my count is short 22 rooms. I doubt there will be hotel rooms in the podium.
I worked for the Mechanical Contractor for this project until recently, and was involved in their construction drawings. I can tell you with full certainty that there are no Guest Rooms in the podium levels. They start on level 8. Level 7 - the top of the Podium - has the outdoor pool and the Hotel Lounge with an outdoor area overlooking the creek.

Re. room counts, there are several large rooms on the upper levels including a suite for the Developer that takes up two full structural bays on the southwest corner of the tower. There is also to be a Lounge / Breakfast Room for the upper floor Guest Rooms on the north side of the tower, overlooking the creek.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 10:49 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colo Designer View Post
I worked for the Mechanical Contractor for this project until recently, and was involved in their construction drawings. I can tell you with full certainty that there are no Guest Rooms in the podium levels. They start on level 8. Level 7 - the top of the Podium - has the outdoor pool and the Hotel Lounge with an outdoor area overlooking the creek.

Re. room counts, there are several large rooms on the upper levels including a suite for the Developer that takes up two full structural bays on the southwest corner of the tower. There is also to be a Lounge / Breakfast Room for the upper floor Guest Rooms on the north side of the tower, overlooking the creek.
Welcome to the board. You sound like a wellspring of knowledge. It'll be nice having your around to inform us.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
The shortest distance from A to B is a bunch of twists and turns evidently...but I do actually like the design. I guess I expected it to be a bit more utilitarian. I couldn't remember what the original renderings had.
It's a little ironic that we have roadway projects that straighten out roads yet also have bike paths, e.g. Boardwalk at Riverside Dr, and walkways such as this that intentionally add curves/overall length and increase costs. I guess the subtext is that drivers are in a hurry and need an efficient system, but cyclists and pedestrians are just there to enjoy the scenery.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
It's a little ironic that we have roadway projects that straighten out roads yet also have bike paths, e.g. Boardwalk at Riverside Dr, and walkways such as this that intentionally add curves/overall length and increase costs. I guess the subtext is that drivers are in a hurry and need an efficient system, but cyclists and pedestrians are just there to enjoy the scenery.
I had this thought, too. Especially when we're talking about convention goers who really in the end just want to get to their session at the CC without too much interruption.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 4:31 PM

[QUOTE=Colo Designer;7423900]I worked for the Mechanical Contractor for this project until recently, and was involved in their construction drawings. I can tell you with full certainty that there are no Guest Rooms in the podium levels. They start on level 8. Level 7 - the top of the Podium - has the outdoor pool and the Hotel Lounge with an outdoor area overlooking the creek.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Welcome to the board. You sound like a wellspring of knowledge. It'll be nice having your around to inform us.
I'm happy to have found this site and I'm looking forward to future photos to follow the progress. There are some MASSIVE steel trusses coming that support the Ballrooms in the podium. I'm hoping locals are interested enough to post photos of them being lifted.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 4:48 PM

Interesting Structure

[IMG]https://www.dropbox.com/home/Fairmon...o+20160402.pdf[IMG]

There are some HUGE beams at the 8th floor level that will make the transition in the shape of the building. If you zoom in you'll notice that these beams have few vertical supports.

(My first attempt t posting an image. Please send a reply if the link doesn't work.)

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 7:34 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colo Designer View Post
[IMG]https://www.dropbox.com/home/Fairmon...o+20160402.pdf[IMG]

There are some HUGE beams at the 8th floor level that will make the transition in the shape of the building. If you zoom in you'll notice that these beams have few vertical supports.

(My first attempt t posting an image. Please send a reply if the link doesn't work.)
It didn't work. Try uploading the image to www.imgur.com It's free. Then copy the direct link after it uploads. It'll be on the right of the screen and start with http://i.imgur.com.....

Past that link here between the [IMG] [/IMG] tags.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 7:36 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Also, the file you have looks to be a PDF, not an image. I usually screenshot the picture in the PDF, or use the snipping tool, then save that as a .jpg or .png. Then upload that file to imgur.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
It didn't work. Try uploading the image to www.imgur.com It's free. Then copy the direct link after it uploads. It'll be on the right of the screen and start with http://i.imgur.com.....

Past that link here between the [IMG] [/IMG] tags.
Trying the image again . . . .

Last edited by Colo Designer; May 2, 2016 at 2:53 PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
Thanks for the photos, Priller.

I've been looking out for something in the building structure (like a special reinforced section or something) in these first few floors to indicate where the skywalk to the Convention Center will connect... anyone spotted that yet?

Is it the little blue steel "plank" with the column forms sitting in front on the first pic, maybe? Wouldn't seem so with the orientation to the street, but that does stand out as a potential connection.
This image is Corvair Keith's photo from March 28. It's of the west side of the northwest building corner The bridge to the Convention Center connects at the second floor level as noted.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 3:15 PM

More structural gymnastics

See the text in the image

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
We won't be able to count the horizontal lines on the glass panes to get an accurate floor count. Those floors below the current top three look to be 16 foot tall. What are they supposed to be I wonder?
And because of the glass exterior, I'm going to excuse the height adjustment. This thing will still be impessive.
The lowest of the three closely spaced floors, seen in the photos, is floor level 8. This is the first floor of Guest Rooms. This will also become obvious due to a "notch" in the northwest corner of the building at level 7. The notch is an outdoor terrace adjacent to the hotel bar. (the notch can be seen in the renderings)

You will be able to count floors from level 8 up because the top and bottom of the glass panels are at the floor levels. FYI, level 8 is 130' above level 1.

Last edited by Colo Designer; May 2, 2016 at 5:27 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin