HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
Thanks! sorry for the late reply. Now to catch up with you guys.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Late last week we discussed the Los Angeles Country Club & Flyingwedge found some phenomenal photographs.

I believe I found two photographs of one of the earlier locations in a vacation album dated 1900.

old file / found on ebay

ditto

for closer inspection

not a great photograph, but at least it's something.

C.T.S. stands for Cora Taylor Strout (the name on the cover of the photo album)

__
Cora Taylor Strout was born in Washington, D.C. in 1869. She married Edwin A. Strout in Kansas in 1889. He was in the U.S Army. By 1900 they were living in Seattle and had two children: Edwin, Jr. and Helen. From passport and ship records it appears that they traveled quite a bit. After the army, her husband was in real estate, banking and later in insurance. Her husband died prior to 1935 when she appears in a Seattle directory as being the President of the E.A. Strout and Co., general insurance agents.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 7:31 PM

A nap on the tracks !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
--In 1943, a sailor wasn't as lucky. He decided to walk up the tracks. He was struck by one of the cars and hurled under the wheels of the descending one. This was August 31, 1943. Again, this wasn't the fault of the railway.

Well, I looked into my crystal ball [she never fails me], and what did I see...4 empty beer bottles....
--[This wasn't the railway's fault, but in 1937 a salesman name Jack Claus decided to take a nap on the tracks. (He was dubbed "Sleepy Claus" in the press.) He was dragged fifteen feet down the incline, his clothes torn from his body and severe chest injuries. He survived, though.]

Now CBD that your crystal ball said the probable reason for the sailor, what did you see in it for this one above which is much harder to explain ? I fail to understand.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 8:03 PM

More Agricultural Park

Quote:

I guess it's pretty obvious...but the building is a hotel, right?

the one mentioned in this article from 1879 (no doubt.

Los Angeles Herald - April 17, 1879

one last look

Did the hotel have a name?...or was it simply called the Agricultural Park Hotel?
_
The May 9, 1891, Los Angeles Herald refers to the Agricultural Park Hotel. I couldn't find where another name was used.

On the 1888 Sanborn we see the hotel before it was enlarged. Please note that it is on the north side of the grandstand:

ProQuest via LAPL

The hotel is still on the north side of the grandstand, but I've flipped the 1894 Sanborn below because it's easier to
read this way. The map shows that the hotel has been expanded (and -- cut off at the right edge -- that a new
grandstand is being built, which might also account for the lumber scraps in front of the hotel in e_r's photo above).
Outside the entrance to Agricultural Park we see the Main Street and Agricultural Park R.R. Co. facility:

ProQuest via LAPL

Quote:
While searching for information on the hotel at Agriculture Park, I happened upon this intriguing photograph. (I think it's new to NLA)

Metro Library Archive

The vague description in the archive is "Main St and Agricultural Park Railway (Now Exposition Park)"

Any idea why the men are posed in front of this rather nondescript house?

__
Now check out the 1906 Sanborn. See the two-story storage building on the triangular lot? Maybe that's the building from
the photo above? Also, the 22-foot-wide Horse Car Line Roadway from 1894 has become a 30-foot-wide Electric Car Right
of Way. I don't know if this will help date the above photo, but a Los Angeles Times article on May 5, 1897, notes that the
Main Street and Agricultural Park R.R.'s electric cars stop at Jefferson and Grand; from there to the Agricultural Park
entrance, "the clumsy little horse cars are used." However, rails that could support the heavier electric cars were to be
installed and the whole line electrified by the end of May:

ProQuest via LAPL

The old Agricultural Park Hotel is on the 1906 map too (though not included above), looking much as it did in 1894, except the
building is being used as a clubhouse and dwelling, and the bar is marked "Not Used."

Old Posted Sep 8, 2017, 10:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvaroLegido View Post
--[This wasn't the railway's fault, but in 1937 a salesman name Jack Claus decided to take a nap on the tracks. (He was dubbed "Sleepy Claus" in the press.) He was dragged fifteen feet down the incline, his clothes torn from his body and severe chest injuries. He survived, though.]

Now CBD that your crystal ball said the probable reason for the sailor, what did you see in it for this one above which is much harder to explain ? I fail to understand.
Jack had a cough and needed some relief.

or maybe

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Sep 9, 2017 at 1:57 AM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality

"Main St and Agricultural Park Railway (Now Exposition Park)"

Metro Library Archive

Any idea why the men are posed in front of this rather nondescript house?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
Now check out the 1906 Sanborn. See the two-story storage building on the triangular lot? Maybe that's the building from
the photo above?

By George, I think you solved the mystery FW!

The building on the map has the exact same dimensions (easy, since it's a square lol) And the small front porch is there as well.

(no doubt the house was switched to storage by the r.r. co.)

__

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 5:03 AM

depression era photograph:

"Ranch on southeast corner of Imperial Highway and Alameda Street."

California Historical Society

note the dead tree is being utilized as a pole for electricity.

here's a closer look / you can see the wires and insulators.

I believe it's a dead Eucalyptus or Sycamore tree.
(odinthor?)

Wagner, Anton : Photographer

1933 January 11

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 5:30 AM

I intended to post this map back when FW posted his D-DAY and Victory newspapers but I couldn't locate it in my messy files.

detail

Unbelievably, the map is dated November 7, 1937!

here's the whole page.

If anyone wants to see the whole page LARGER let me know. (be forewarned...the file is HUGE)
__

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 6:21 AM

re: The C. W. Hollister family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff
The girls in the first picture are probably daughters Cora, born in 1901 and Gertrude, born in 1906. The family is listed on N. Cahuenga in the 1910 census.
I appreciate your help. -now I know who the girls are in the courtyard.

re: Cora Taylor Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
A few notes on Mrs. Strout and the LACC...she was the wife of a Seattle insurance man; her visit to the LACC in 1900 would have been at its third location, described as the nec of Pico & Western in the LACC's own history. Apparently this clubhouse had been moved from the second location 2/10 of a mile east (@Hobart & 16th) in 1899.... (Somewhere on NLA we've covered the club's three locations prior to the building of the current club in 1910.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff View Post
Cora Taylor Strout was born in Washington, D.C. in 1869. She married Edwin A. Strout in Kansas in 1889. He was in the U.S Army. By 1900 they were living in Seattle and had two children: Edwin, Jr. and Helen. From passport and ship records it appears that they traveled quite a bit. After the army, her husband was in real estate, banking and later in insurance. Her husband died prior to 1935 when she appears in a Seattle directory as being the President of the E.A. Strout and Co., general insurance agents.

And thank you and GW for the information on Cora Taylor Strout.

from Cora's 1900/01 photo album. (the same one with the L.A.C.C. photos)

Pasadena Country Club

mystery bldg (it was on the same page as the Pasadena Country Club pic)

Cora has written something about golf clubs. (she's also in the photo)

same page as well.

"E.A.S. putting"

two mystery houses in Pasadena. (where Cora stayed on the left - E.A.S. sitting the porch at right) -or is it the same house in both photos?

I'll finish with Cora's photo of an 'old settler'

note the 'platform' on the sidewalk.

I believe it's to help mount your horse & get in a buggy, right?
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 10, 2017 at 1:20 AM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 11:09 AM
BANNED

Quote:
re: The C. W. Hollister family.

I believe it's to help mount your horse & in get a buggy, right?
__
I would say you're correct on that er.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:

I believe it's to help mount your horse & in get a buggy, right?
__

It's called a horse block...they were often personalized. Here's one that was in front of the
short-lived 2520 Wilshire Blvd from 1902-1923, built by Scranton miner Nicholas E. Rice.
(More here.)

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 7:21 PM

Pasadena Country Club

Quote:

from Cora's 1900/01 photo album. (the same one with the L.A.C.C. photos)

Pasadena Country Club

I came across this photo of the Pasadena Country Club when I was looking for LA Country Club photos recently:

The Official Golf Guide (1902) at HathiTrust

The ninth hole, pictured above, was 220 yards long.

After I saw the above photo, I realized that this unidentified, undated photo also shows the Pasadena Country Club.
To the left of the clubhouse might be a tennis court:

486338 @ Huntington Digital Library

Here's a slightly closer look at the clubhouse:

P.S. Thanks for the interesting and colorful invasion maps, e_r. FWIW, I worked with a guy who said his uncle was
a general in WWII, and after the war he was on the team that examined captured Japanese military documents.
Supposedly the Japanese had a plan to invade California by landing near Santa Cruz and then marching north to
take San Francisco.

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Sep 9, 2017 at 7:28 PM. Reason: add ps

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 7:33 PM

Quote:
I intended to post this map back when FW posted his D-DAY and Victory newspapers but I couldn't locate it in my messy files.
If anyone wants to see the whole page LARGER let me know. (be forewarned...the file is HUGE)
__

Well, I would like to.

(Did you mean to answer here, or a PM?)

Anyway...

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 8:29 PM

A quick revisit:
Quote:
Two ducks, Rose Bowl Parade, Pasadena 1968.

ebay

Do any of you Pasadenans recognize the building in the background?

I would like to know if that 'modernized' metal façade has been removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lieberg
I saw your 1968 Rose Parade slide on the Skyscraper website. The store in the background of the duck float is my family store from where we watched the parade from 1927 to 1976, when we sold the building. I am somewhere in that picture. I would be very interested in buying pictures taken from that vantage point.
I like the fact that Jon is one of the people in the photo (probably watching from the windows ) -so cool!

Here's a bit more history....

Street view of the Lieberg Building at 911 East Colorado during construction. [2/4/1927]

Pasadena History Archive

Perhaps I'm naive but I was surprised to see how many companies were involved in constructing ONE building in 1927. (is it the same today?)

here's a closer look.

detail

Please be sure and go HERE to see how the Lieberg Building looks today. (the metal screen that was added to the facade in the 1950s/60s has been removed )

This afternoon I noticed the Lieberg Building has some very nice skylights still intact. (four small ones and a large one that might illuminate the stairwell)

see below

one other small point: the building has an angled back wall.(enough of an angle that the alley takes a slight detour)

__

update:

oops, I can't forget the architect.

Wendell W. Warren Architect - Pasadena, California

I wasn't able to find any additional information on him. -sorry
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 10, 2017 at 12:45 AM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality
If anyone wants to see the whole page LARGER let me know." (be forewarned the file is HUGE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post

Well, I would like to see it.
Here you go Martin. (the 1600 x 1200 size is still difficult to read...the next choice jumps up to this RIDICULOUS size)

Should I delete it?

Gargantuan Image removed

Does anyone have a tip how I can find a suitable
size between 1600 x 1200 and the 'Full Size'?
___

Click on link below / with help from Flyingwedge

1937 Invasion Map

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 11, 2017 at 1:00 AM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2017, 9:48 PM

Quote:

Should I delete it?
Please don't!

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 1:47 AM

re: Pasadena Country Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge
Here's a slightly closer look at the clubhouse:

It's much more impressive here than it appears in Cora's snapshot.

I'm also impressed you were able to locate this photograph. The Huntington archive simply has it labeled "House with horse and carriage". (are you going to inform them of your discovery?)

One more question if you don't mind:
Do you know where this country club/golf course was located exactly?
I've been going through old Pasadena directories and haven't found an address.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 11, 2017 at 12:46 AM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 2:04 AM

I just found some additional information. (that I believe holds the answer)

Early golf in Pasadena:

"Largely due to its luxury hotels, golf thrived in Pasadena from the 1890s. In 1894, E.H. Strafford, an Englishman who loved golf, carved out a few holes on the massive Campbell-Johnston Ranch, a property of 2,214 acres that now includes such landmarks as the Rose Bowl and Annandale Golf Club. Walter Grindlay, an Englishman visiting the Southland, described it in "Golf," an English magazine in its issue of July 15, 1898: "There was a private course on a ranch, but it was overgrown with ÔTurkey-weed' and the manager was waiting for the frost to kill the week and rain to bring up the grass."

Conway Campbell-Johnston, owner of the ranch on which that course was situated, was one of the founders of Pasadena Country Club on July 7, 1897 and Strafford was one of the first members. The course was laid out in a tract known as Oak Grove in what is now San Marino and was frequented by guests at the Hotel Green and Raymond Hotel (see separate story).

The first caddie strike in Southern California occurred at the Pasadena CC in July, 1898. The caddies demanded higher pay, and the Los Angeles Times reported, " . . . they claim that 15 cents a round is too little money to run all over a twenty-acre lot chasing golf balls and carrying the sticks. The price paid in Oakland is 10 cents a round, and the links are longer, but that makes no difference to the Pasadena youth, who is to heathy -- or to proud -- to work for anything less than what his conferees in other cities get."

Many of the club's members joined Annandale Golf Club when it was built in 1906, and when the Midwick Country Club was founded in 1912, it sounded the death knell for PCC and eventually the club closed. But before that, it had played an instrumental role in founding and shaping the SCGA, and a club member, John B. Miller became the second SCGA president in 1900."

from
http://www.scga.org/about/scga-history/part-1

So it appears the original golf course was located somewhere on the 2,214 acre Campbell-Johnston Ranch.

I wonder if Cora Strout knew the owners or was just visiting as a tourist?
__

AND... I have one question for odinthor:

"There was a private course on a ranch, but it was overgrown with ÔTurkey-weed."

What pray-tell is O'Turkey Weed?
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 10, 2017 at 2:24 AM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 2:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
Please don't!
Ditto what Tovanger said!

That's a prescient if somewhat alarmist article four years before the war.

BTW, an interesting follow-up. A few years ago, I saw an interview with the Japanese pilot who commanded the first attack wave on Pearl Harbor. He said he knew Japan lost the war as early as late 1942 when he saw ships he attacked at Pearl Harbor repaired and back in service in less than a year. He knew any country that had the resources and resilience to repair it's damaged ships and build an entirely new fleet at the same time was destined to win the war.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2017, 6:16 AM

Pasadena Country Club site

Quote:
re: Pasadena Country Club

It's much more impressive here than it appears in Cora's snapshot.

I'm impressed you were able to locate this photograph. The Huntington archive simply has it labeled "House with horse and carriage". (are you going to inform them of your discovery?)

One more question if you don't mind:
Do you know where this country club/golf course was located exactly?
I've been going through old Pasadena directories and haven't found an address.

__
I think anyone who runs a photo archive that contains Los Angeles images should periodically check NLA.
People here are always identifying photos or correcting false ID's . . . like the photo of the sailor that was
supposedly taken in New York but showed Terminal Annex in the background.

The site of the Pasadena Country Club is in the Oak Knoll area, south of Cal Tech. On the 1900 map below,
the red dot in the upper left corner is California and Los Robles; the green dot is California and Lake. The
Pasadena Country Club is at the end of a road just to the right of center:

248692 at Huntington Digital Library

This is a 1906 map of Oak Knoll (I think the dots show oak trees). At the top, Lake splits into Oak Knoll (Avenue),
Arden, and Kewen. The Pasadena Country Club is marked to the left of the text describing the Wentworth Hotel:

16036 at Huntington Digital Library

Here's the area today. Near the center, Lake splits into Oak Knoll (Circle), Arden, and Kewen. The golf course
was east of Kewen, which according to Googlemap is in San Marino, as the quote in your last post mentioned:

Googlemap

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Sep 10, 2017 at 5:41 PM. Reason: add San Marino info

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos