HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Built by a Vancouver based developer, to echo it's project in Vancouver, with a Vancouver based artist doing the lighting scheme.

I'd say this is 'design inspired by Vancouver' to steal from the thread title.
Wow. Great to see there is the talent here locally to accomplish some pretty great things in other markets.
If only we could somehow allow that local talent to ply their trades here locally.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Yeah, I'd mentioned that in the festivals and events thread. Surprised at the apparent lack of interest...
Maybe it's not one of the threads people here check very often? I know I have my few spots here that I check regularly and the rest ... not so much.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 3:55 AM

inspiration for metrotown

shopping, dining, observation deck etc.

the new Shibuya Scramble Square

imgur.com

mainichi.jp

nhk.or.jp

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Last edited by SpongeG; Nov 11, 2019 at 4:14 AM.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 11:04 PM

Quick drawing. Still looks something special. Vancouver is way too flat as it is, almost conquered/squashed by the nature/the height limit.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 11:22 PM

Look at this image. I don't see why a city skyline can't be as beautiful and harmonious when the skyline is as tall as or even taller than the mountains nearby. For instance, look at the continuity between the sky"lines" of the tall buildings and the mountains in the picture. (Those mountains in the back are as far away from the towers as the mountains from downtown Van, but the heights are actually just half of Grouse Mountain.)

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraper03 View Post
>snip<

Look at this image. I don't see why a city skyline can't be as beautiful and harmonious when the skyline is as tall as or even taller than the mountains nearby. For instance, look at the continuity between the sky"lines" of the tall buildings and the mountains in the picture. (Those mountains in the back are as far away from the towers as the mountains from downtown Van, but the heights are actually just half of Grouse Mountain.)
i thought a purpose of the Vancouver view cones was so that the north shore mountains werent obscured by an unbroken wall of downtown glass and concrete towers from certain viewpoints in the city

at first i thought this might have been a view from West Van, who only have SFU and Mt Baker to see behind the DT core, and Stanley Park in the foreground, but it doesnt resemble any views i know from west vancouver

was it too hard to caption it as "gwangan bridge skyline, haeundae busan" to reduce any confusion?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 2:57 AM

^ Yes those are pictures of Busan, the skyline there in the area btw is growing even further dense and up.

Another vision that could show you what Vancouver CAN be with greater building heights.
Vancouver is not a mountain village cursed by the mountains to perpetually dwarfed and nerfed as a hobbit!
It can be London or even New York, but only blessed with great nature by its side.

These images are from Detective Picachu

Last edited by skyscraper03; Nov 12, 2019 at 3:33 PM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 7:12 AM

First, from that angle, the mountains are about as high as the "monument?" text.

Second, it would help to not include poor CGI to back up your argument. Very few cities look like London or NYC as of the present - much less a city of 2.4 million that didn't even exist on the world stage until a decade or two ago. Getting rid of some viewcones to start having some taller towers would be fine; removing all of them in the expectation of suddenly becoming a Hollywood cyberpunk fantasy is... very wildly unrealistic, at best.

And really, if that's what we're going for, then we should aim for 2186 Vancouver... when we actually get to 2186.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 7:42 AM

To be honest, Burnaby is closer to being that version of Vancouver then Vancouver is at the moment. I am surprised there is not a developer in Metro Vancouver who hasn't already got the ball rolling on the tallest office building in "Western Canada to be constructed in Burnaby BC" set of plans sitting in there office somewhere...

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 9:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
To be honest, Burnaby is closer to being that version of Vancouver then Vancouver is at the moment. I am surprised there is not a developer in Metro Vancouver who hasn't already got the ball rolling on the tallest office building in "Western Canada to be constructed in Burnaby BC" set of plans sitting in there office somewhere...
I find that idea inspirational. There are some people decry that fact that the town centres in Burnaby could well end up surpassing downtown CBD building height by a significant degree.
IMHO, this is not an issue, as it is yet another element of Metro Vancouver that gives it a mark of distinction among cities of the world, such as its fine urban planning and transit system.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 6:18 PM

Another friendly reminder that 90+ percent of Burnaby still looks like this and this. No part of the metro is anywhere close to a futuristic urban jungle.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Another friendly reminder that 90+ percent of Burnaby still looks like this. No part of the city is anywhere close to a futuristic urban jungle.
And much of Burnaby will remain that way. Wasn't that Capitol Hill, one of the most vertiginous and San Fracisco-esque hills in metro? Burnaby has quality SFR residential that wil remain.
I don't think there's really a problem with the high rise town centres adjacent to, within range of SFR, central Burnaby lakes and green space.. Town centres often built on "un-pretty" property; that is, old parking lots, low-density commercial, or low-end residential demolished and destroyed for high rises, Metrotown an example. Do you see a paradox here, or what

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 6:46 PM

Well, islands in a sea of otherwise forgettable suburbia isn't exactly "closer" to Busan or London or NY; if you aspire to be urban, you should try to be urban throughout, even if it's just four floors high. Prince George could build an 85-floor tower tomorrow and we'd still consider it the middle of nowhere.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 9:41 PM

I think Vancouver's future will be more like Tokyo or Seoul, fairly flat with town centres of towers as we are seeing now.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 1:42 PM

right in our own turf

The Bay Adelaide Centre in Toronto has sleek, clean lines, and surely such a tower would fit somewhere in Vancouver CBD, maybe tweaked even slightly higher. click and see

http://www.sotawall.com/wp-content/u...9291773554.jpg

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 9:52 PM

Bay Adelaide? Naw thanks, we can do better than that.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Bay Adelaide? Naw thanks, we can do better than that.
Do you have any examples in mind as to what style you would prefer? Not contradicting, just curious to see what people like. Thanks.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:27 PM

Well Brookfield who built this also did Brookfield place in Calgary, a very similar clean design but the details are much more interesting. If were going to do a curtain wall extruded box I'd much prefer that.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 12:08 AM

Click and see. Look and compare.

Quote:
Well Brookfield who built this also did Brookfield place in Calgary, a very similar clean design but the details are much more interesting. If were going to do a curtain wall extruded box I'd much prefer that.
Here it is: Brookfield Place. IMHO, the slightly rounded corners make it slightly ugly. It reminds me of many buildings at La Défense in Paris. Bay-Adelaide, to me, looks sharper, crisper.
But "à chacun son goût"...

https://static.frontinc.com/uploads/...edit04_WEB.jpg :Brookfield Place

For easy comparison, I included a picture of Bay Adelaide again. It's the designed corners that I prefer, but in any case, I doubt we'll see anything resembling either of them.

https://d3e1m60ptf1oym.cloudfront.ne...09_xgaplus.jpg

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 7:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I think Vancouver's future will be more like Tokyo or Seoul, fairly flat with town centres of towers as we are seeing now.
Difference is that in Seoul, those "town centres" are still part of Seoul, and essentially an extension of the traditional CBD of Seoul in the Seoul Station area. In between the clusters of skyscrapers in Seoul are not SFHs, but high density housing and apartment blocks.

For Vancouver, the outlying area of the city proper will always remain backward and even ghettoish, especially when compared to the glittering skylines just across the municipal borders. That's the future of Vancouver

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues