HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-Of-Waterloo View Post
The TTC does this on all routes, and it works great. I think they use GPS to trigger the stop to be automatically announced, rather than a computer butchering some of the stop names on the iXpress as is the case now. In Toronto, it sounds like someone actually sat down and recorded the names of all the stops. Half the time it doesn't even work on the iXpress.
The TTC has a person record all the stops names for their system. It's her full time job, and there was an interview with her a while in to the Star which was pretty interesting.

I know most transit systems in Ontario are struggling with this one. Mississauga Transit has plans to eventually end up with an automated system like Toronto, but are going to get them over time with new orders instead of TO which is doing it through new orders and retrofits. To compensate for the mean time, MT has put up signs at stops that saying "Next Stop (road/description)" with the plan that the driver will just read them all off. It started on major routes and is slowly working it's way across the system, though I can't say whether or not it will be on every route. It's useful for drivers too when you're looking for a road and not 100% where it is because you can tell whether you're about to approach it or not.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 1:26 AM

Transit service expands to Elmira

(By Frances Barrick, THE RECORD, Wednesday, January 28, 2009)

WATERLOO REGION

Elmira will get public transit service to Waterloo this year, as the regional bus company makes its first foray into the countryside.

Starting April 6, Grand River Transit will connect Elmira with the Conestoga Mall transit terminal, regional councillors decided yesterday.

The route will include stops in St. Jacobs, at the St. Jacobs Farmers' Market and the new Wal-Mart store in Waterloo.

The one-year pilot project will be the first time Grand River Transit has expanded into a rural community.

"I think this is a good first step," said Regional Chair Ken Seiling, an Elmira resident.

Two buses will run at 30-minute intervals during peak times on weekdays and at 40-minute intervals on Saturday. One bus will run during the midday at 60-minute intervals.

Hours of operation will be from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekdays, and from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturdays. There is no Sunday service.

The pilot project will cost $240,000 this year and will require three additional full-time equivalent employees and two buses, which will come from the existing fleet.

If the service becomes permanent, it will cost about $320,000 a year and require the purchase of more buses.

The expansion will include only limited bus service within Elmira, in exchange for linking the town with other transit routes such as the popular express service.

Neil Malcolm, a regional transit planner, told councillors that staff chose frequency of service over in-town service to allow riders better connections with other buses at the Conestoga Mall terminal.

Coun. Jake Smola of Kitchener called the decision short-sighted.

"Sacrificing the numbers of stops and service in town for frequency is the wrong approach," he said.

Seiling disagreed. Town residents needing to get to work or school in Kitchener and Waterloo told him they want more buses, not more town stops, he said.

In Elmira, buses will travel down Arthur Street, left on First Avenue, right on Snyder Avenue, right on Church Street and then right on Arthur Street, heading out of town. A round-trip will take 55 minutes.

People living on the outskirts of the town will have to walk up to one kilometre to get to a bus stop.

People living in the core will have a five-minute walk, Malcolm said.

http://news.therecord.com/article/478216

Old Posted Feb 1, 2009, 7:05 PM
Keepin it Real

Up to one kilometre? Oh no!

Really though, this is great. Should have happened a while ago.

Old Posted May 8, 2009, 11:12 PM
National Capital Region

Staff Report on the Transit system redesign that will be implemented with the new rapid transit route

Quote:
In September 2008, staff initiated a study in collaboration with the University of Waterloo, to
comprehensively redesign the current conventional bus network to integrate with the proposed
Rapid Transit system (alignment, stations and technology). This report provides an update on this
study including a preliminary concept plan for a redesigned bus network that will be displayed at the
upcoming rapid transit consultation centres. The preliminary concept plan will be refined as the
study progresses towards completion in early 2010.

Old Posted May 9, 2009, 9:22 PM

I'm all for the Elmira route, but I wish they'd mark the stops and display arrival times more clearly. The new stop at St Jacobs market isn't exactly visible and where it should list arrival times it says only "every 60 minutes".

Old Posted May 10, 2009, 4:16 AM
G.G.H. Transit

Quote:
Originally Posted by van Hemessen View Post
I'm all for the Elmira route, but I wish they'd mark the stops and display arrival times more clearly. The new stop at St Jacobs market isn't exactly visible and where it should list arrival times it says only "every 60 minutes".
Don't be surprised, they haven't even released a list of retailers where Elmira residents can buy tickets or passes yet, so I think they dropped the ball a little bit.

That being said, things don't get fixed or changed until people say something. If anyone sees anything that should be corrected call GRT customer service, believe me they do listen to legit calls!!

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 1:54 PM

GRT still tallying numbers from first month of service

By Joni Miltenburg, WOOLWICH/WELLESLEY OBSERVER, May 8, 2009

One month into the service, the new bus connecting Elmira and St. Jacobs to Waterloo is getting good reviews, even if ridership numbers remain up in the air.

Supporters of Grand River Transit Route 21 hope it will build speed over the next few months.

The Elmira route, a year-long pilot project, was launched Apr. 6. Transit planner Neil Malcolm said they won’t have hard numbers for ridership until mid-month, but anecdotally the response has been good.

“We keep hearing from the operators that they’re getting a lot of positive feedback. People are very excited about the service,” he said.

“There’s an awful lot of times there’s a lot of people on it,” noted Woolwich Mayor Bill Strauss. “The feedback is excellent.”

The GRT collects ridership numbers in two ways: by totaling the fares collected each month, and using special buses equipped with automatic passenger counters. Thirty of the GRT’s 200 buses are equipped with the counters, and staff have requested that those buses be used more frequently along route 21.

Initially planners considered a larger loop of stops in Elmira but ultimately opted for a shorter loop and more frequent service. Malcom said they’ve gotten some feedback requesting more stops in town, and that may be something they look at in the future.

“If the route is successful, and I hope it is, we’ll be looking at providing other options in town, whether it’s a secondary route that hits the residential neighbourhoods or a modification of the existing route.”

They’ve also heard from employers like Home Hardware in St. Jacobs who like the service and would like to make it more convenient for their employees, perhaps by making changes to the schedule to better match shift times.

Malcolm said transit planners haven’t set a firm ridership number to determine if the new route will stay. They’ll be monitoring numbers over the summer to see if ridership picks up as more people incorporate the bus into their travel plans.

“We’ve tried to get the awareness out there, but maybe not everyone knows or knows how they can use it for their travel,” Malcom said. “I think we’ll be seeing ridership improve over time.

http://observerxtra.com/2/news/grt-s...th-of-service/

Old Posted May 11, 2009, 2:57 PM

/\ I've taken the bus to Elmira (and back) from Waterloo several times now, and I think it is great!
While living in Elmira, I lobbied quite hard with local politicians (township and region) to make it happen. Not that I think that my efforts had anything to do with it, but I'm thrilled that this route has come to fruition.

I really hope the people of Elmira/St Jacobs utilize this service and make this route permanent.

Old Posted May 12, 2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmira Guy View Post
/\ I've taken the bus to Elmira (and back) from Waterloo several times now, and I think it is great!
While living in Elmira, I lobbied quite hard with local politicians (township and region) to make it happen. Not that I think that my efforts had anything to do with it, but I'm thrilled that this route has come to fruition.

I really hope the people of Elmira/St Jacobs utilize this service and make this route permanent.
I noticed that some rural residents might have to walk a kilometer to get to the nearest stop. I always wonder why they don't put secure bike parking beside a bus stop like this. A two or even four km bike ride to the bus is really quick and it would increase the potential users of the service. Its how the Europeans do it.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Bus service shuffled to combat overcrowding

June 03, 2009
By Jeff Outhit
Web edition
Record staff

WATERLOO REGION — Grand River Transit will add buses to overcrowded routes while trimming buses from little-used routes.

The shuffle approved yesterday by regional councillors will create winners and losers, without boosting transit costs.

Winners will include passengers crammed onto express buses or left stranded by full buses.

This happened often between last November and February, due partly to soaring student demand. “We just had to leave people behind,” transit director Eric Gillespie said.

Losers will include 106 passengers who will lose some of the daily service they now get. “I think rationalizing the service, and realigning it to where the demand is, makes good business sense,” Gillespie said.

Among the impacts:

- Buses will be added on the Route 7 Mainline, the Route 9 Lakeshore, the Route 12 Conestoga Mall, and the intercity express service.

- Buses will be removed from 22 other routes in various ways. For some routes, buses will run less often at certain times. Other routes will see some trips shortened.

In total, councillors intend to transfer 4,000 hours of annual service from quiet routes to busy ones.

It’s estimated this could help transit add 218 passengers per day, overshadowing the impact to disadvantaged passengers.

Changes take effect Sept. 8.

jouthit@therecord.com
Anyone know which routes got scaled back?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 6:22 PM
Urban Advocate

9, although not as busy as some of the other routes, is often overcrowded during the AM rush, leaving passengers at the stops further down the line. I wonder if peak will move to 10 min then on this route.... I hope so!
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Jun 3, 2009, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHLawrence View Post
Anyone know which routes got scaled back?
Man, I couldn't find it on the GRT webpage. But it was there prominently before.

Fortunately, I just happened to have the link archived:

Proposed Service Changes Effective September 7th 2009

... note that these were the proposed service changes, and not necessarily the agreed change.

In short, winners are 7, 9, 12, iXpress
Losers are a host of other routes getting trimmed back here and there.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2009, 2:40 AM
G.G.H. Transit

Complete report on Fall changes is here...

http://www.region.waterloo.on.ca/web/region.nsf/8ef02c0fded0c82a85256e590071a3ce/F9E1FB94C3DFA5D6852575C5004DE58F/$file/P-09-051.pdf?openelement

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 7:45 PM

http://chd.region.waterloo.on.ca/web/Region.nsf/0/A8650BED0FCE3C4A852575D300579E22/$file/P-09-060.pdf?openelement

Looks like they're moving ahead with some of the automated announcements (AA) this year. That staff report was passed on June 16.

The 13 new Novas which will replace iXpress buses will all have the AA/GPS system. The old iXpress buses will be converted to standard livery but retain the AA/GPS system. Additionally the 19 standard buses that currently have automated passenger counters (APC) will be upgraded with the GPS/AA system. This leaves 1/4 of the fleet with the APC/AA/GPS system.

They've also applied for stimulus funding to outfit the remaining 3/4 of the fleet. I think the region will go ahead with in 2010 anyways (required by the AODA), but it could happen much sooner.

I'm certainly looking forward to this, makes taking the bus much easier. They're also going to update EasyGo to use data from the GPS tracking so it will be more accurate. Also looking at installing iXpress style displays at major stops (King/University?).

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylortbb View Post

The 13 new Novas which will replace iXpress buses will all have the AA/GPS system. The old iXpress buses will be converted to standard livery but retain the AA/GPS system. Additionally the 19 standard buses that currently have automated passenger counters (APC) will be upgraded with the GPS/AA system. This leaves 1/4 of the fleet with the APC/AA/GPS system.
The automated announcement system on the iXpress today is terrible. Most of the time it never works, is too quiet, or the computer butchers stop names (such as Conestoga Mall). They should take a look at the TTC's buses where their automated stop announcement system is by a live person who actually sat down and recorded all the stop names. These stop names are then triggered by GPS when the bus nears the stop. I know I have suggested that on here before, and it would be awesome to see for GRT as well, rather than a shoddy computer voice automated announcement system that isn't reliable at all. The TTC also has message boards on the buses that display the next stop. However, this would cost a fortune...

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 12:30 AM

I agree the synthesized voice could use some improvements. There are much better voices available these days. Pre-recorded works too, but with a good synthetic voice you can barely tell the difference.

It's had some issues, but I think the GRT is getting them sorted out. It certainly seems to have been improving. I suspect once it's on the entire fleet it will be that much easier because it will become a part of the standard maintenance procedures, more people will understand it, the GRT will be more experienced in its quirks. The problems with volume are the bus announcement systems, not the technology.

The plans is for TTC-style displays with the name of the next stop. The iXpress already has them.

This system also has the advantage over the TTC of a digital screen (I think touch) for the driver. It has route information (no more accidental off-routes/missed stops), information about schedule adherence, etc.

The TTC has a driver control panel with a variety of messages like "Please Move Back" that play and show on the screen. I wonder if the GRT system supports this?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 1:55 AM

Quote:
The automated announcement system on the iXpress today is terrible. Most of the time it never works, is too quiet, or the computer butchers stop names (such as Conestoga Mall). They should take a look at the TTC's buses where their automated stop announcement system is by a live person who actually sat down and recorded all the stop names. These stop names are then triggered by GPS when the bus nears the stop. I know I have suggested that on here before, and it would be awesome to see for GRT as well, rather than a shoddy computer voice automated announcement system that isn't reliable at all. The TTC also has message boards on the buses that display the next stop. However, this would cost a fortune...
3 words:

JAMES EARL JONES

(or if we can't get him, tay zonday)

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 1:25 PM

I’m surprised no one has mentioned this yet on this forum, but does anyone know why of late these brand new iXpress busses are frequently running local routes? I’m seeing this almost on a daily basis now. They are brand new Nova Busses with taller back ends, not the original iXpress busses.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 3:38 PM

Quote:
I’m surprised no one has mentioned this yet on this forum, but does anyone know why of late these brand new iXpress busses are frequently running local routes? I’m seeing this almost on a daily basis now. They are brand new Nova Busses with taller back ends, not the original iXpress busses.
I've been on a bunch of them. The back has a different layout with less seating and more standing room, which probably suits the kind of passenger loads the iXpress is seeing. The way I figured it, they'll find their way to iX service soon enough.

One possibility: I was on a 24xx bus yesterday that you could see the outline of the old "X" on the side window... so maybe they're transferring those buses out of iX service and bringing the new ones in gradually.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 4:05 PM

My understanding is that the new iXpress buses are awaiting installation of their CAD/AVL systems. These are the bits that enable GPS tracking and allow wait times to be displayed in shelters. Once these systems are installed, all but two (?) of the 2400 iXpress buses will have their iXpress livery removed and be returned to local service. We're currently waiting for INIT (the company that provides the CAD/AVL systems) to send their technicians from Germany to finish the installation.

There's more information in the GRT thread on CPTDB, if you care to wade through all the posts.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario