HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 11:08 PM

They're making quick progress on the Hotel and the (ugh) 7 story parking garage at the round.

The work has started on the back wall of the performing arts center that abuts the parking garage.

Old Posted May 25, 2020, 9:34 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by QAtheSky View Post
They're making quick progress on the Hotel and the (ugh) 7 story parking garage at the round.

The work has started on the back wall of the performing arts center that abuts the parking garage.

I really wish we would start seeing taller buildings over by the Round, 10-20 story buildings would create a nice little skyline....also no city should have a parking garage be their tallest building.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 7:38 AM
Registered Ugly

Nice start of a street wall there. Glad to see progress being made despite the goings on. The Beav has really grown on me.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 7:44 AM
Registered Ugly

Grabbed a quick to-go lunch at the food carts in dt Beaverton on Friday. Walked a block north and snapped a photo of the construction.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 9:18 PM
BANNED

Looking like Slabtown

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 5:33 AM
A before E

It's starting to look like Beaverton is finally starting to build themselves a legit urban downtown. Now if only they would start building higher than 5 stories. I have always imagined something along the lines of South Waterfront style skyline for Beaverton someday in my lifetime.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
It's starting to look like Beaverton is finally starting to build themselves a legit urban downtown. Now if only they would start building higher than 5 stories. I have always imagined something along the lines of South Waterfront style skyline for Beaverton someday in my lifetime.
This. I would love to see more height out here to the west between either Beaverton or Hillsboro. I look at Bellevue (with a proper population under 150k) and how built up it has become with a beautiful skyline and I would love to see something like that... or like you mentioned, South Waterfront style.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 6:31 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Oh man I would love that. Bellevue actually has a skyline better than Portland’s let alone a suburban one

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 6:57 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
Oh man I would love that. Bellevue actually has a skyline better than Portland’s let alone a suburban one
With a sterile/non-existent street life.

Beaverton is well on its way to having a very livable/desirable downtown. For those who haven't been in awhile, I suggest a visit.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 9:43 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post

Beaverton is well on its way to having a very livable/desirable downtown. For those who haven't been in awhile, I suggest a visit.
True but you can correct that fairly easily with right planning moving forward. But a stumpy skyline is visibly will always be not appealing

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 10:06 AM
A before E

Quote:
I wouldn't go that far, Bellevue's downtown is roughly about the size of the downtown core in Portland and Portland's downtown is more than just the office buildings in that core, it's Goose Hollow, Pearl District, Lloyd District, Inner Eastside, and South Waterfront. Portland's skyline is unique with how it stretches along both sides of the river.

Though I will say, for a very corporate suburb city, Bellevue is definitely ahead of most suburb cities and a city that Beaverton should strive to be more like, especially with the tech industry that exists out on the Westside. Might as well give the tech industry an urban tower district out there as well.

Though I have to agree with subterranean about the livability of Beaverton and the activity it's beginning to have in its downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post

Unfortunately I haven't been in Beaverton much in recent years, too much going on and no good reason to get over that way, but I was out there not that long ago for work and it was amazing to see all the new developments that have gone up in downtown and over by the Round. Obviously with the pandemic, I didn't get to see how active the area has probably become, but it was great to see all the new density.

I really could see Beaverton turning the area between the Round and 117th into a highrise district, and really develop that whole area into quite a city for the Westside.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 4:16 PM

The city is actively working on a big downtown redesign project now, including significant upzoning around the Max stations in downtown Beaverton (I believe most of the area will be zoned to attain height of 120'). Some of us are pushing the city to go higher in that area, especially to achieve housing goals in proximity to transit.

https://www.beavertonoregon.gov/downtowndesign

Last edited by jaxg8r1; Nov 23, 2020 at 6:30 PM.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 9:50 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxg8r1 View Post
The city is actively working on a big downtown redesign project now, including significant upzoning around the Max stations in downtown Beaverton (I believe most of the area will be zoned to attain height of 120'). Some of us are pushing the city to go higher in that area, especially to achieve housing goals in proximity to transit.

https://www.beavertonoregon.gov/downtowndesign
That sounds promising, here's hoping Beaverton goes higher than 120ft, but for Beaverton, even 120ft would make an impact.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 5:54 PM
Registered Ugly

Another thing to think about is that Trimet is actively planning to double transit capacity on the MAX due to the planned extension of the Red Line to the Fair Complex.

Couple this with Trimet plans to study development options for their west side transit stations and I think we may have a couple more mini Orenco Stations in the next 10-15 years.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 9:28 PM

Anyone have an idea why TriMet/Beaverton has left the lots around Beaverton TC empty?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 4:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizflip View Post
Anyone have an idea why TriMet/Beaverton has left the lots around Beaverton TC empty?
Probably dreaming since the west side max got built these beautiful dense urban neighborhood could be built on it

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 9:48 AM
A before E

Quote:
Probably dreaming since the west side max got built these beautiful dense urban neighborhood could be built on it
Beaverton TC and Sunset would be ideal locations for dense affordable family housing.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizflip View Post
Probably because neither TriMet or the City of Beaverton own them. The Beaverton Urban Redevelopment agency has a bunch of land around Beaverton Round, but most are either developed or under development.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 1:45 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Beaverton TC and Sunset would be ideal locations for dense affordable family housing.
It’s been ideal since 1999 when it opened. I guess it’ll continue to be ideal

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
Probably because neither TriMet or the City of Beaverton own them. The Beaverton Urban Redevelopment agency has a bunch of land around Beaverton Round, but most are either developed or under development.
Isn't the land on Lombard (behind Beaverton TC) owned by Trimet?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Portland Suburbs and the State of Oregon