HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 11, 2013, 3:46 PM

Nice building. THREE Froyo outlets? And we couldn't keep ONE Coldstone open? Is someone laundering money? Shediac has already become semi-deserted from the tourist season ending at labour day. It's a bittersweet time of year. *boo, no people* *yay! no traffic!*

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvui View Post
I heard some interesting rumors about Hotel Shediac last night night. First it is rumored that there will be a Starbucks in the hotel. Second the restaurant/bar is going to be another St. James Gate or at least run by the same people.
I find the Starbucks rumor very interesting as currently there is only a Tim's in Shediac and this will be the first real test for them.
The hotel is way behind schedule, it was supposed to have opened already and was fully booked for the summer. They have lost all that revenue and are looking at a November opening now. I'm not sure what caused the delay but it is definitely hurting the pocket book of the owner.
I work for the contractor (in the office) that is building Hotel Shediac. If you follow Hotel Shediac on Facebook, they have posted a picture of a banner hanging that confirms St. James Gate is indeed going to be at Hotel Shediac.

The link to the facebook profile for more pictures if you will:
https://www.facebook.com/Hotelshediachotel?fref=ts

The General Manager of the Hotel Shediac gave me something to put in regards to the Starbucks and it is the following:

"Le Bistro will house a Starbucks kiosk similar to what is at the Chapter's location in Dieppe."

So we can safely say that Starbucks coffee will be available in the Shediac area and also that St. James Gate is definitely coming to Hotel Shediac.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2013, 6:35 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Welcome to the forums!

If the set-up at Hotel Shediac is indeed going to be similar to the Starbucks in the Chapters store, rather than the Starbucks coffee stands at the airport and at the Delta Beausejour (which are just pre-existing cafes offering Starbucks coffee rather than full outlets), then it is safe to say that greater Moncton will soon have six Starbucks outlets.........

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 11:56 AM

They are taking the crane down at Hotel Shediac this morning. Hopefully this means they are nearing completion as they are long past the original opening date.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2013, 1:00 PM

Quote:
They are taking the crane down at Hotel Shediac this morning. Hopefully this means they are nearing completion as they are long past the original opening date.
I didn't take a pic, but I was surprised to see another crane (one of the smaller ones) out in Barachois last weekend. Didn't see what it was building, but I'm going to assume a multi-level apartment building.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 12:02 PM

They have begun site preparation for the Second Cup/Frozen yogurt building next to town hall. I was a little disappointed this morning when I drove by and realized that they had cut down one of the oldest trees in Shediac. The tree was on the front corner of the property I'm sure if they really tried they could have saved this tree. It is a shame we don't have laws to protect these old trees like they do in other cities. Once they are cut you can't get them back, not in our lifetime anyway and it is a real shame.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
They have begun site preparation for the Second Cup/Frozen yogurt building next to town hall. I was a little disappointed this morning when I drove by and realized that they had cut down one of the oldest trees in Shediac. The tree was on the front corner of the property I'm sure if they really tried they could have saved this tree. It is a shame we don't have laws to protect these old trees like they do in other cities. Once they are cut you can't get them back, not in our lifetime anyway and it is a real shame.

That's really a shame. Even the render shows that tree being there!

It would have been right next to the drive-thru exit, maybe shallow roots were the issue.

Last edited by NBNYer; Oct 18, 2013 at 11:53 AM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 11:52 AM

The foundation works is coming along quickly. It should be noted that although they did cut down a very large old tree at the front corner of the property, they did live a large tree on the back corner. It seems like they moved the whole project over to one side. They seem to be making an extra effort to keep that tree so I am happy to see that.
It will be interesting to see what happens with the abundance of frozen yogurt stores in Shediac, but it is nice to see some infill projects taking place in Shediac, now if they could just do something with that empty parking lot in front of No Frills....

Old Posted Oct 27, 2013, 3:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Famous Pepper's Pizza (a PEI chain) is setting up a location at 353 Main St in Shediac.

Here is a link to their menu:
http://www.famouspeppers.ca/Shediac-Menu.page

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 3:43 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

These are a couple of screen captures from the 2011 Town of Shediac Municipal Development Plan.

This first one shows the current land use plan for the town.

This second image is interesting in that it shows the location for a couple of planned east-west connector streets in the town. These connectors would be most welcome in that at present, there is really only one through street in the town (Main Street), and the traffic along Main Street can be nightmarish, especially in the summertime! Do any of the Shediac forumers (Benvui, Vorkuta etc) have any ideas about how serious the town is in proceeding with these plans? When might they be completed??

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
This second image is interesting in that it shows the location for a couple of planned east-west connector streets in the town. These connectors would be most welcome in that at present, there is really only one through street in the town (Main Street), and the traffic along Main Street can be nightmarish, especially in the summertime! Do any of the Shediac forumers (Benvui, Vorkuta etc) have any ideas about how serious the town is in proceeding with these plans? When might they be completed??
Part of the southern connector is currently under construction but I'm not sure if they plan on building it all the way to Ohio road anytime soon. Even when these are built, the Scoudouc river bridge still remains as a bottle neck for Main street. The real game changer will be when the planned on/off ramps to highway 15 are build next to the Riverside overpass.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 12:37 AM

I'm not privy to any of the Shediac town planning info, but I know the Breaux-Bridge extension to Ohio is talked about a LOT by everyone I know who lives in the area. It's a matter of when, not if, I believe.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 1:49 PM

I live on Breaux-Bridge and I know that they are planning improvements in the next year or so on the existing part of the street (sidewalks and curbs) before they continue with the extension. I also know that the fire department is pushing the town to make improvements for safety reasons. I know that the new entrance to the town was a top priority but I'm sure the province will need to be involved with that project. Looking at the map it looks like a new overpass will need to be constructed for this exit, which may be cost prohibitive. I think everyone knows it needs to be done, it is just a matter of money. Even with the huge increase in the town's tax base over the past couple of years I don't think they can afford it. They also need a new fire hall and a town hall (their lease is up on their current town hall location) and they need to buy a ladder truck to support the new taller buildings being built in the community, so they need to spend their money wisely to get the most out of every dollar.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 3:41 PM

Quote:
I know that the new entrance to the town was a top priority but I'm sure the province will need to be involved with that project. Looking at the map it looks like a new overpass will need to be constructed for this exit, which may be cost prohibitive.
I don't think that's an overpass next to the offramps, they're just too close to the main highway. Plus it would be a huge waste given that the riverside overpass is just meters away.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
I don't think that's an overpass next to the offramps, they're just too close to the main highway. Plus it would be a huge waste given that the riverside overpass is just meters away.
Looking at it again I think you are right, I think if you are heading East, either to get off or on the highway you are going to have to go on Riverside Drive, to get on or off the west bound lane you will get off on a new extension that needs to be built, it looks almost like it will be built on where the walking trail is currently (the old rail line).

Old Posted Dec 12, 2013, 4:09 PM

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up, Hotel Shediac opened last Friday on December 6th.

The restaurant St-James Gate is still under construction and should open soon.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 9:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

It was in the T&T today that a new campground and RV park is planned for Shediac near Parlee Beach.

I don't have the paper with me any more, so I can't relay specifics, but it will contain hundreds of spaces and will be built to "four star" specifications including such things as a pool, playground, camp store, cable TV and internet. It will be built behind the former Fisherman's Paradise, will have an entrance off of Main Street and will be in short walking distance of Parlee Beach.

Sounds like a good plan. Do any of the Shediac forumers have any additional information on this?

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 10:58 PM

I Have the acadie nouvelle in front of me, 750 lots, would be a lot right next to parlee beach, owned by the Anglican church of Shediac then the article went about Victor Boudreau who would be one of the promoters spear heading this project..

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 1:53 PM

The lot is going to be between Pointe du Chene and Parlee beach roads, I heard the number 80 acres. It will be behind the Esso, DQ, Ultramar, and the old Fisherman's.
I'm not sure if I'm a big fan of this development, it is a huge piece of land being consumed for seasonal use. I think Shediac needs to think bigger and look at attracting people year round. There is so much potential for growth in Shediac but it needs to be managed. Campgrounds inside town limits is not a good revenue generator year round. The other problem is that once they are there they become difficult to remove if the owners are making money. In my opinion this development is not great for Shediac and doesn't fit with what they have been doing the past couple of years.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 3:53 PM

Isn't that basically the remainder of Wiki-Wak? Or is that further along the street? But yes, It's kinda sad to see SO much of the center of Shediac turning into seasonal trailer parks. The ones we have are huge enough. I can understand that they must make a ton of money, though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces