HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnybrae View Post
I came across this article one day and found it interesting considering that the EV's were suppose to be all about saving the enviroment, or so I thought/propaganda, and yet governments have totally failed to set up charging standards and have allowed manufactures to do it themselves. Of course, you know the outcome. Multiple standards. It was written in August 2016 and maybe things have changed, I don't know.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...electric-cars/
Relevant: https://xkcd.com/927/

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 3:29 PM

9 more EV charging stations announced for New Brunswick..

https://www.nbpower.com/en/about-us/...cted-province/

The new chargers will be in the following locations:
•Saint Quentin
•Eel River Bar
•Bathurst
•Tracadie
•Miramichi
•Doaktown
•Richibucto
•Rothesay
•South Western New Brunswick

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 4:20 PM

Bathurst one has been installed between the Tim Hortons and Atlantic host hotel at exit 310.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 4:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here's an interesting question for discussion.

Due to extreme weather events, NB has recently been losing about one covered bridge per year, mostly as a result of flood damage. I believe there are only about 25-30 covered bridges left in the province.

It won't be long before these iconic structures, so tightly associated with the culture and character of the province will disappear forever.

Should the province be doing anything about this or should we just let "nature take it's course".

Personally, I would be in favour of replacing every existing covered bridge that is at end of life with a new replacement covered bridge. In other words, I would like to see our current stock of covered bridges retained. I would even be in favour of building a few new covered bridges in particularly scenic areas or along designated tourist routes (where feasible). Obviously new covered bridges can't be built on heavily travelled roadways with truck traffic, but surely there are a few river crossings that can be added to our current inventory.

When Parks Canada accidentally blew up the Point Wolfe covered bridge in Fundy National Park about 15 years ago, they chose to replace it with a new covered bridge. Why can't the province do this elsewhere????

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 5:09 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Personally, I would be in favour of replacing every existing covered bridge that is at end of life with a new replacement covered bridge. In other words, I would like to see our current stock of covered bridges retained.
Most of them are in areas and roads with such low AADT that the replacement and renovation costs don't make sense. The only appeal of a covered bridge is its age and maybe design - creating a new one in 2018 doesn't really have the same appeal.

It would be nice to maintain them but I would be genuinely curious to know how many tourists actually visit them (aside from, say, Hartland) and how much economic activity that's generating. Covered bridges are neat but they're niche, and if their upkeep is too much and their locations too remote I don't see much point.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 5:06 PM

Funding announced to plan new SJ Interchange on Route 1

Quote:
The provincial government has announced $1.2 million to begin the planning for a new Route 1 interchange in Saint John.

The funding in 2018-19 will also be used for four-way traffic signals at two busy Saint John intersections to help improve safety and traffic flow.

In a news release, the province says there will be two and a half years of preparation work before the new north-south connection between Foster-Thurston Drive and Ashburn Lake Road is built.

Construction on the $31.2 million project is expected to begin in the spring of 2021.

Government says four-way traffic signals will be installed at the intersection of Rothesay Avenue and Rothesay Road, as well as at the westbound off-ramp of Route 1 at Rothesay Avenue.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 6:24 PM
ハルウララ

The interchange is nice to have but will likely make the Ashburn Road and Rothesay Avenue interchange busier than it already is. The connection to Foster Thurston is badly needed for both the Hospital/UNBSJ as well as for those trying to get onto the throughway in either direction.

The lights are badly needed. The Rothesay Road/Avenue interchange can be a bit of a nightmare at times.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
The interchange is nice to have but will likely make the Ashburn Road and Rothesay Avenue interchange busier than it already is. The connection to Foster Thurston is badly needed for both the Hospital/UNBSJ as well as for those trying to get onto the throughway in either direction.

The lights are badly needed. The Rothesay Road/Avenue interchange can be a bit of a nightmare at times.
I'm interested to see how the configuration will work for the interchange (given that the two roads aren't actually aligned on either side of Route 1). One would think that there will have to be some land acquisitions in order to make it work.

Wasn't there also a plan to re-align the Ashburn Lake Rd. and Rothesay ave. intersection sometime back? Wonder what ever happened to that.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magee_b View Post
I'm interested to see how the configuration will work for the interchange (given that the two roads aren't actually aligned on either side of Route 1). One would think that there will have to be some land acquisitions in order to make it work.

Wasn't there also a plan to re-align the Ashburn Lake Rd. and Rothesay ave. intersection sometime back? Wonder what ever happened to that.
It seems like the best option would be to go directly over from Ashburn Lake, and just have the connection go through and reconnect to the remainder of Ashburn on the other side of the highway.

They definitely should fix up the Ashburn Lake/Retail Dr intersections and have just a single intersection in the area... They're only about 30 feet apart as is, and Retail Dr could be realigned (just need to pay off the model home guy that originally refused to move)

Old Posted Feb 14, 2018, 4:20 PM

Looks as though the Ashburn Lake/Retail Drive intersection will be addressed.
From the CBC

"To smooth traffic flow to and from the overpass the city would have to realign Retail Drive to link directly with Ashburn Lake Road, a separate and long-talked about project that would involve acquiring land from at least one business.
Darling said there are discussions about doing that.
"That would be probably one of the most talked about intersections in the city," Darling said. "Certainly, those will be discussions we'll be having with the province to see if these things can happen in tandem."

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 12:38 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

A couple of interesting tidbits from this article in the Miramichi Leader:

https://www.telegraphjournal.com/mir...unnel-route-11 (paywall)

- the two-lane Route 11 bypass south of Miramichi is expected to cost $90M
- part of this bypass is envisaged to include a TUNNEL underneath the North & South Napan Roads (that's right, the first highway tunnel in Atlantic Canada will be in the Miramichi!!!)
- the government has choosing a tunnel over the more conventional overpasses to make the highway less obtrusive.
- the new Route 11 alignment will deviate from the existing route at Glenwood, joining back up with the current ROW just south of the Centennial Bridge over the Miramichi River.
- new on/off ramps will funnel exiting traffic into a service plaza at the King Street exit.

- the 20 km extension of the divided portion of the highway between Shediac & McKees Mills (just south of Bouctouche) will be completed by 2021.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

- the two-lane Route 11 bypass south of Miramichi is expected to cost $90M
- part of this bypass is envisaged to include a TUNNEL underneath the North & South Napan Roads (that's right, the first highway tunnel in Atlantic Canada will be in the Miramichi!!!)
- the government has choosing a tunnel over the more conventional overpasses to make the highway less obtrusive.
- the new Route 11 alignment will deviate from the existing route at Glenwood, joining back up with the current ROW just south of the Centennial Bridge over the Miramichi River.
- new on/off ramps will funnel exiting traffic into a service plaza at the King Street exit.

- the 20 km extension of the divided portion of the highway between Shediac & McKees Mills (just south of Bouctouche) will be completed by 2021.
I occasionally drive up that way. I have never encountered any significant traffic delays in Miramichi, other than those related to the Centennial Bridge repairs. I can't see any reasonable justification for an expressway between Glenwood and Miramichi, let alone a huge infrastructure project like a tunnel under two country roads. Unless I'm missing something, it seems like an outrageous waste of money.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 1:24 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
I occasionally drive up that way. I have never encountered any significant traffic delays in Miramichi, other than those related to the Centennial Bridge repairs. I can't see any reasonable justification for an expressway between Glenwood and Miramichi, let alone a huge infrastructure project like a tunnel under two country roads. Unless I'm missing something, it seems like an outrageous waste of money.
*checks calendar*

Nothing i've ever seen in the AADT numbers indicate any sensible reasoning for why so much should be spent in an area of the province with negative traffic growth.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 2:07 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here's a map showing the new alignment, and the location of the proposed tunnel:

The tunnel not only will pass underneath the two roads, but also a small stream too.

Blain Higgs must be popping an aneurism over this. He doesn't want to spend any money on Highway 11 at all, let alone an expressway tunnel in the Miramichi. I imagine this will be referenced in the upcoming election.......

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 2:31 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Speaking of NB highways, it's funny that there's no plan whatsoever to twin 7 even though it links 2 of the largest cities in the province.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 3:24 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Speaking of NB highways, it's funny that there's no plan whatsoever to twin 7 even though it links 2 of the largest cities in the province.
Traffic counts don't warrant it. Route 11 between Shediac & Bouctouche has double the traffic that Route 7 has through Cape Gagetown.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Traffic counts don't warrant it. Route 11 between Shediac & Bouctouche has double the traffic that Route 7 has through Cape Gagetown.
Can't forget the accidents on Route 11 as well.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 11:58 AM

I agree that the Traffic counts don't really justify twinning SJ to Freddy yet on Route 7; but at the same time, I agree with others that it doesn't really make sense for 2 of the biggest cities in the province to not have a direct full highway link between them. At least Route 7 itself's 2 lane parts are highway standard so the road isn't too bad.

That all said, looking at the map, it's a shame that Route 7 is the way it is now. To service more communities, if we were to have a 4 lane highway, it would be better to more or less follow the 101 route. That would service New Maryland, the Junction, Hoyt, etc... and because it wouldn't be going through the Base, it means there could be actual growth along that highway corridor (and not a long stretch of Forest that can never be developed)

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
It's easy to be skeptical over the project however before being presumptuous over the project we should just wait and see. There is a trend within the province that whenever something in terms of infrastructure is announced for the North - anybody that lives in the South shoots it down as an automatic waste of cash.

I'm not sure why it is being called an expressway - I believe the current plan has called for a 2 lane bypass (not a twin highway) to be built from Glenwood to Miramichi. The issue is not traffic count - it is rather the open access to the highway which makes it extremely dangerous. That portion of highway has a 100km/h speed limit and probably well over a 100 points to enter and exit - could we not agree this makes for dangerous conditions?

The tunnel does sound far fetched. The original plan was to build 2 overpasses and a bridge over the Napan River (which is not a stream by the way) and now they are hinting towards a tunnel. I always assumed tunnels would be far more expensive however they are stating they can do this at a similar cost - guess we will have to wait and see!

Old Posted Feb 23, 2018, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
That all said, looking at the map, it's a shame that Route 7 is the way it is now. To service more communities, if we were to have a 4 lane highway, it would be better to more or less follow the 101 route. That would service New Maryland, the Junction, Hoyt, etc... and because it wouldn't be going through the Base, it means there could be actual growth along that highway corridor (and not a long stretch of Forest that can never be developed)
The last thing we need is to further incentivize rural and exurban living in this province. I think the current route works well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces