HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 12:35 AM
(the rascacielo freak)

Beautiful towers.... Moscow is indeed booming... let's hope this boom trickels down into the lives of most people there.

One question.... (being a rail transit nerd).... are these new skyscrapers anywhere near existing Moscow Metro subway stations?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 12:51 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

These are some seriously awesome photographs.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 8:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransitEngr View Post
Beautiful towers.... Moscow is indeed booming... let's hope this boom trickels down into the lives of most people there.

One question.... (being a rail transit nerd).... are these new skyscrapers anywhere near existing Moscow Metro subway stations?
There's a brand new station (Delovoi Tsentr, I think - or maybe Mezhdunarodnaya) on the new "mini-metro" line, which branches off of the light-blue line. There's also apparently a full-size metro station connected to... nothing at the moment. Some day it's planned to be part of the yellow line.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 7:20 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm View Post
The city around the IBC is planned to be completely overhauled in the next 15-20 years, with a lot of residential construction.
After all the numerous new residential towers built in the last decade is there still a shortage of this ??

Must say : impressive future to look forward to

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 8:42 PM

^ Unless things have changed radically, all the pictures of high-rise residential going up are but a small fraction of what's really being built. The state still builds quite a bit of housing on its own. Also, given Moscow real estate prices, there may not be a shortage but apparently there's quite a market.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 8:53 PM

neat

Old Posted Mar 3, 2007, 8:56 PM
Monomania w/ Skyscrapers

That looks butter!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2007, 1:25 PM
maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
After all the numerous new residential towers built in the last decade is there still a shortage of this ??
First of all, there are two markets in residential housing: upscale elite apartments for millionaires and mass-produced apartments for average joes. Both are in demand. An they are clearly different animals. Speaking of the first, quite a few have been built in recent 10 years, and more will be in the near future. But the second is perhaps even more important. We are talking of rebulding of ~ 40% of Moscow housing in the next decade or so. Almost all of the 5-story prefab concrete commiblocks built in 1960s are slated for demolition by 2011. They are to be replaced by modern apartment towers. After that, the time of 9 and 14 story commiblocks will come too. In the next 20-30 years there will be a lot of residential construction all over Moscow (and actually, for the same reason, most russian cities).

Some recent info on the demolition of 5-story commiblocks (in Russian).

http://realty.lenta.ru/news/2007/03/05/demolition/

The jist of it:
From 1995, 881 5-story commiblocks have been demolished, with total square area of 3 mln sq. meters (~30 mln sq. feet). By 2011, 3700 more of these buildings are planned to be demolished (total area 8.6 mln sq. meters) In 2006 less than half of the 104 buildings slated for demolition have been destroyed. Moscow government looks for an investor to accelerate the program, perhaps even finishing it ahead of scheduel.

After 5 story commiblocks are demolished, demolition of the 9 story ones will begin.

Now, considering they have been demolishing on the order of 80 buldings annually, they will have to accelerate the rate of demolition by a factor of 6 (if you compare annually demolished areas), which IMO is unrealistic. After all, they are limited not by the rate at which they can demolish, but by the rate of construction of new, better quality housing. I fail to see how the rate of construction can be suddenly stepped up by factor of 6.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Last edited by anm; Mar 8, 2007 at 2:07 PM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2007, 9:37 PM
maverick

March 3rd 2007 by windstride from SCC

taken from Federation tower

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 7:07 PM

cool buildings.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2007, 8:11 PM
maverick

a couple of night shots by Bolik from SCC

Old Posted Mar 16, 2007, 5:31 PM
maverick

March 16 2007 by Brad from SCC

Old Posted Mar 17, 2007, 12:04 AM
maverick

the whole skyline by Brad from the same point as the above pic

Old Posted Mar 17, 2007, 5:33 PM
And so it goes...

After these pics I'd have to say that Moscow is probably #1 on my places to get to. The manifestation of conurbation if I've ever seen it.

So is there currently any defined area that is considered a "downtown" financial district?

Thanks a lot anm!

Old Posted Mar 17, 2007, 7:26 PM
I am a typical

Wow..

Old Posted Mar 17, 2007, 9:05 PM
maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by city dweller View Post
After these pics I'd have to say that Moscow is probably #1 on my places to get to. The manifestation of conurbation if I've ever seen it.

So is there currently any defined area that is considered a "downtown" financial district?

Thanks a lot anm!
Well, I would say - thanks to the guys who keep taking these photos; I am just cherry picking.

There is no well defined financial/businiess district in Moscow now. Offices are spread all over central part of the city. The construction of IBC is about to change this. Many businesses will move to this new scraper district; the older relatively low-rise buildings will be vacated, and many of them are expected to be converted to 3-star hotels which Moscow lacks now, particularly in the historical city center. Theis should make the city more tourist friendly.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 11:28 PM
maverick

03.22.2007 by Inspirit from SCC

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 11:32 PM

^fantastic pics! This project is looking great.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 3:32 AM
Run with Love

dude
"Dazzled by the needles of light stitching the water, I turned to watch him watch them. I noticed his eyelashes were reflected in his eyes, like awning in windowpanes. As I tried to make sense of that reflection, I found I could not look away. His irises were brown, clouding into orange with brighter flecks around his pupils. Then it became as important not to look as to look, I feared I would be lost in rush of bronze motes."

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 4:26 AM

ok, ok. i've been skeptical of moskva-siti for ages, but that's pretty awesome, especially that last picture. very impressive looking.

still... anm, do you happen to know, is there really a market for all that class-a office space? i mean, ok, city of 12 or 15 million, yeah, probably, but however much square footage it is, it must be a huge amount to pump into the market. on the other hand, given the booming economy, maybe i'm concerned over nothing. probably still assuming russia is the russia it was in the 90's.

btw are those other buildings in the picture going to be as tall?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos