HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 10:10 PM
Community Guy

Doesn't Halifax, er Nova Scotia, ER the Maritimes need an 'event centre'?

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 26, 2024, 11:14 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Doesn't Halifax, er Nova Scotia, ER the Maritimes need an 'event centre'?
Yes.

And it's too bad the Commonwealth Games bid died. That would have provided lasting benefits.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2024, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
Halifax being a viable market isn't the problem. The problem is getting a stadium in place for a team. THAT is the issue at play. Solve that problem and a franchise will follow suit shortly after. I'm confident of that.
To be clear, I am saying Halifax is not viable because they do not have a viable pro sports stadium to house a CFL team. It has nothing to do with the market itself.

They have had 40 years to solve the problem and they haven't gotten anywhere. In all likelihood, there will be an announcement of a permanent 10,000 or so seat soccer stadium in the coming years and that will put the kibosh on any potential CFL expansion team.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2024, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
To be clear, I am saying Halifax is not viable because they do not have a viable pro sports stadium to house a CFL team. It has nothing to do with the market itself.

They have had 40 years to solve the problem and they haven't gotten anywhere. In all likelihood, there will be an announcement of a permanent 10,000 or so seat soccer stadium in the coming years and that will put the kibosh on any potential CFL expansion team.
This is what I was referring to as well, but a few didn't seem to understand that

Old Posted Jan 27, 2024, 8:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
This is what I was referring to as well, but a few didn't seem to understand that
A few also don't seem to understand a popup, modular stadium has already been proven and can be used to prove the viability of a franchise while details of a more permanent structure are planned.

We've seen the proof of the stadium and Ambrosie broached the concept of trying it. They don't need to wait for Halifax to build a large permanent structure to get the project moving, they need an owner, the rest will follow.

As for the Commonwealth Games, while it would have been great to have built a stadium then, the costs of staging the games were outrageous. Halifax was right to get out.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2024, 5:31 PM

Strevler back with the Bombers signing one year deal.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 12:02 AM

Brady Oliveira resigns with the Bombers

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Strevler back with the Bombers signing one year deal.
And Brady signed a 2 year contract with the Bombers. According to TSN he will receive $230K in 2024 and $240K in 2025.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 12:08 AM

Dalton Schoen re-signs with the Bombers

Bombers have announced they have signed Schoen to a one year deal. He will reportedly earn $230K in 2024.

Only sour note of the day for the Bombers is that Demerio Houston was signed to a 2 year contract by Calgary for $275K over the 2 years.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khabibulin View Post
Bombers have announced they have signed Schoen to a one year deal. He will reportedly earn $230K in 2024.

Only sour note of the day for the Bombers is that Demerio Houston was signed to a 2 year contract by Calgary for $275K over the 2 years.
Nothing sour about that. Houston was a highly overrated defensive back who was frequently targeted by the opposition and burned for large gains on a frequent basis. Losing Hardwick on the O-line hurts more even with a slight decline in his play as the season progressed.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
Nothing sour about that. Houston was a highly overrated defensive back who was frequently targeted by the opposition and burned for large gains on a frequent basis. Losing Hardwick on the O-line hurts more even with a slight decline in his play as the season progressed.
I agree about his weakness for giving up big plays. However his 7 picks and 3 fumble recoveries will be missed.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 4:05 AM
Ham-burgher

Just remember that all these players being "signed" to play in a different city have only agreed to the terms of a deal... they can still be re-signed by the team they played with last year, and based on the way the rules of this period are explained it sounds like players can receive offers from multiple teams or decline them and explore free agency in earnest when it begins. What's unclear to me is whether "agree to terms" means that's the only offer that will be the alternative on the table when the players huddle with their previous team, because we haven't seen news of more than one team making an offer to a player.

Quote:
In that opening seven-day window, teams can make a formal offer to any pending free agent. That offer must be registered with the CFL office and the CFLPA. Offers made in the window are considered binding and cannot be rescinded.

When the window closes on Feb. 12, pending free agents move into an exclusive 48-hour negotiating window with the teams that hold their present contracts. At that time, every club in the league will be provided with the registered offers the pending free agents have received. Teams have until 10 a.m. ET Feb. 14 to make an offer to their pending free agents, including a copy of it to go to the league office and the CFLPA.

Pending free agents will then have from 10 a.m to noon ET on Feb. 14 to accept any offers that have been made to them by any club. If the player chooses to not accept any of those offers, they officially become free agents at 12:01 p.m. ET on Feb. 14. Any prior offers made are deemed to be withdrawn. When the free agent market opens, contract offers no longer need to be provided to the CFL or CFLPA.

Let’s use Trevor Harris as an example in this year’s process.

On Feb. 5 at noon ET, he’ll be able talk with any team in the league about what they can offer him. At any point in the week, a team can make him a formal offer. It would be registered with the league and the CFLPA and would be considered binding.

On Feb. 12 at noon ET, the negotiation window will close and Harris enters into a 48-hour window where he can exclusively talk with the Alouettes, who will be aware of any of the formal offers made to him in the previous week. If Harris doesn’t have interest in any of the offers he’s received, he can become an official free agent at 12:01 p.m. ET on Feb. 14, free to sign with any team of his choosing.
https://www.cfl.ca/2023/01/30/free-a...w-opens-feb-5/

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 7:21 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 7:24 PM
Community Guy

Given the current state of blatant consumerism, I could see this happening.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 8:04 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 1:02 PM

Former coach sues Toronto Argonauts, QB Chad Kelly for wrongful termination, harassment

"The Toronto Argonauts and reigning league MOP quarterback Chad Kelly are being sued by a former female strength and conditioning coach for alleged wrongful dismissal and harassment, according to TSN reporter Rick Westhead.

She was not identified in the report by Westhead in accordance with TSN policy. The lawsuit was filed on Wednesday, February 21 with the Ontario Superior Court located in Toronto. The former coach alleges Kelly repeatedly harassed her and the team fired her after she rejected his advances..."

What an asshole. Hopefully there's a suspension for Kelly, at least until this goes through the legal system.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2024, 3:31 PM
Ham-burgher

If true, Murphy is an ass too. While this all needs to be proven in court, you just don't do or say these things -- they've always been wrong, but society in general doesn't tolerate them now nor sweep them under the rug. I don't understand why that hasn't gotten through to people.

Quote:
At this point, she informed Mujtaba and assistant general manager John Murphy about the prior interaction. Murphy allegedly stated she “opened a can of worms that didn’t need to be opened.”

Murphy was reinstated to work in the CFL with the Argos last season after serving an indefinite suspension from the league for a physical altercation with a fan following the 2021 Eastern Final.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 4:13 AM
Community Guy

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 1:38 AM

Elks announced today that they are seeking private ownership for the first time.

I understand why, but absolutely hate it. Everyone who has sat on the Board in the past decade should be banished to High Level for how badly they've fucked up the team's fortunes.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 1:41 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Those older shoulder pads. Wow.

Vintage Joe Montford: (or Mumford, if you're Glen Suitor)

Source

Vintage Grover Covington:

Source

Old Posted Mar 15, 2024, 1:56 AM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
Elks announced today that they are seeking private ownership for the first time.

I understand why, but absolutely hate it. Everyone who has sat on the Board in the past decade should be banished to High Level for how badly they've fucked up the team's fortunes.
It's absurd how mismanaged and disgraceful the leadership has been over the last call it debate.

We gave up our tickets a few years ago due to the neglect and lack of oversight.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada