HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 6:04 PM
Rational urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
You should be able to see the Vancouver skyline from Point Roberts, I would think.
You can't even see the Vancouver skyline in the southern half of the city proper, let alone the southern suburbs or Point Roberts. Right in the middle of Vancouver is a pretty major hill which blocks any views from south of it. There really aren't many vantage points for the skyline like there are in flatter places where you can see it from the majority of the metro area.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 7:40 PM
The Vomit Bag.

One can barely see London's skyline from London. The downtown sits in a bowl.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 8:01 PM
See ya down under, mates

Coming back from the US and living in North Van I used to love seeing the Grouse Mountain ski resort lights guiding me home. But yeah you can't see the city.

I thought maybe you could see Vancouver from Mt Baker, WA, since the opposite is so easy but there doesn't seem to be any photos.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
One can barely see London's skyline from London. The downtown sits in a bowl.
I don't know why I find this so funny, but I do...

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 10:04 PM

I don't think any other Canadian city would be visible from as far away as Montreal, which has the perfect combination of extremely low-lying, flat surroundings and a 'wall' of perches for viewing 100kms away (Green mountains and maybe even parts of Adirondacks).
I would have figured Calgary was a good candidate, but haven't seen any super-far-away submissions.

Vancouver and surroundings too mountainous.

Toronto best possible distance is across the lake.

A few 100km + examples from elsewhere:

Chicago from 120KMs away in Warren dunes - amazing pic - apparently this is only possible because Chi's highrises are tall enough to 'peak through' the horizon.

Boston, sort of like Montreal, gets some extra distance thanks to the surrounding topography. Here it is from 105KMs away on Mount Monadnock !

Same for San Fran. (115KM away)

And Charlotte (130KM away)

And (125KMs away)

So far these 5 are the only North American cities where I've found reallllllly long-distance shots.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 10:37 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Who's that last one? Atlanta or New York?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 12:43 AM

That's Atlanta, but I think you can see New York from the Catskills, which would be 100+ km away.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 12:44 AM

^ I think it's atlanta.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipv View Post
I don't know why I find this so funny, but I do...
You can see London from 401/74 which is about 17 KM

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 2:37 AM
Closed account

You can see the Toronto skyline from many points on the Niagara Escarpment including Caledon, Milton area, Hamilton, and even, it seems, Niagara. Hamilton and Niagara are actually pretty close at about 58 km for Hamilton (from CN Tower) and 59 for Niagara.

I think the furtherest point I could track down with relative certainty was a view of Toronto from Lockport, NY, which is roughly 75 km away. I also found a picture claiming to be from Rochester (150km away), but I'm quite skeptical considering the source.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 2:43 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Really cool collection there, leftimage. I wonder what some of these views would look like to the naked eye though - like that Vermont property boasting its "Montreal view".

As for Vancouver - what about from one of the peaks on Vancouver Island? It seems like there should be an unobstructed view somewhere there.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 3:04 AM

Flat earth society, lol. I remember that site now, it's one where people go and try and one up each other on how stupid they can sound. It's a gigantic troll website from my understanding, full of people throwing out obvious lies for the giggles. I'm sure some people who genuinely believe it somehow get caught in it, but generally it's a place of the absurd.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
As for Vancouver - what about from one of the peaks on Vancouver Island? It seems like there should be an unobstructed view somewhere there.
It's visible from there. It's actually not that great distance across the strait. Under 100km.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Really cool collection there, leftimage. I wonder what some of these views would look like to the naked eye though - like that Vermont property boasting its "Montreal view".

You can see an unobstructed view of Vancouver's skyline from the mountains of Vancouver island up to 145km northwest of downtown. The Olympic mountains in Washington State are 150+km, but have a partly obscured view due to the hill that the city of Vancouver is located. But the 280km view from Mt Rainier to Metrotown is hands-down the winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung View Post
Someone needs to hike to the summit of Mt Rainier (>4300m) and take a photo of Burnaby's Metrotown (280km away). Precisely, they will see the top 5 or so floors of Sovereign and Metroplace (anything over 250m above sea level)

It has a good chance of being the furthest a highrise can be seen from any point on earth. Metrotown/Mt Rainier lucked out by having the horizon point from both ends over a body of water. I added the qualifier "highrise" because there are some villages in India and Bangladesh that are further than that but within the 330km horizon of Mount Everest. Everywhere else in the world, the are obstructions within that distance.
So I got curious and really nerded it up on AutoCAD.

In conclusion, from Mt Rainier, one can actually see any building taller than ~80m in Burnaby's Metrotown.

Mt Baker to the left

Unfortunately, any view of downtown Vancouver is blocked by a 400m mountain on Cypress Island, WA.

Last edited by dleung; Jul 14, 2015 at 5:08 AM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 5:02 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftimage View Post
I don't think any other Canadian city would be visible from as far away as Montreal, which has the perfect combination of extremely low-lying, flat surroundings and a 'wall' of perches for viewing 100kms away (Green mountains and maybe even parts of Adirondacks).
I would have figured Calgary was a good candidate, but haven't seen any super-far-away submissions.
Go upthread. There's a shot from Chemist taken 83 km west of Calgary.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 10:41 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

So, who has the worse showing, London or Hamilton?

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 9:23 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:

Montreal's skyline is clearly visible from Jay Peak on a clear day. And from a handful of other Mountaintops in New England. With the naked eye.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 9:23 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
So, who has the worse showing, London or Hamilton?
Kitchener as they haven't much of a skyline

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 10:07 PM

I once was able to make out Vancouver's skyline from a clearing on top of Mount Maxwell, Salt Spring Island. That's about 60 km as the crow flies. I can't think of any other spot that would be closer that's in a place that humans could easily get to (i.e. not the top of Mt. Baker)

For Toronto, I know that you can see the skyline from Highway 115 near Kirby, which sits at the top of a rather cleared part of the Oak Ridges Moraine. That's about 65 km away as the crow flies, as well. I think it might be farther than the Niagara Escarpment near St. Catharines.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 11:51 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftimage View Post
This one was posted 6 years ago ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
Furthest away I've taken a picture of Calgary from - 84km

I have seen DT from a little further out, but not much more as the mtns themselves start to block the city. I would guess it would be hard to get beyond 100/110 kms ??

Do something about your future.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada