HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 6:41 PM

•Capping Over The Connector Project• [ATLANTA]

Well, hello everyone it's me again coming with a new thread,thebigATL...

Well I see us Atlanta bloggers talking bout the big thing now"Capping the Connector" now.And alot of people have their own opinions "The capping connector project can be better if does this and that" But to me its already a done deal, unless you want to present another project to COA and maybe they will buy your project or be interested."BET YOU BLOGGERS DIDN'T KNOW THAT...

Well currently I heard from the Capping the Connector Project will begin its first phase by the end of the year.

Here's some photos...

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Atlan...40422775981755

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigATL View Post
Well currently I heard from the Capping the Connector Project will begin its first phase by the end of the year.
where did you hear this? i didn't even know the plan had been finalized, let alone funding secured. where will the connector be "capped"?

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
where did you hear this? i didn't even know the plan had been finalized, let alone funding secured. where will the connector be "capped"?
the connector is already capped by bridges this project just improves those "caps" it doesn't really create any new over head capping for the connector.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 8:41 PM

oh goodness.. i love ya Big ATL but you are nuts if you think anything involving "capping" the connector is going to begin construction later this year. is there a specific phase you have heard about beginning this year? if you are referring to the construction of the Peachtree Bridge beautification project, then yes that should begin later this year, but has nothing to do with capping the connector.. in fact, it is a reason they would be even more hesitant to cap the connector in the areas where those Peachtree Bridge overpasses are because then you wouldnt be able to even see the bridge sculptures from the connector.

The first "cap" project that might happen would be the Capitol Gateway project, shown about halfway down in the images in your post. but the capping part of this wont be happening any time soon. They might begin construction on the plaza that will replace the old parking deck next to the Capitol, but that really isnt about capping the connector..

all that being said, I'm with you. i want all this to happen. The entire connector between the Capitol and Brookwood will never be capped, but Capitol Gateway, and probably connecting Mayors Park where Piedmont Rd crosses, would be a great idea

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forj View Post
oh goodness.. i love ya Big ATL but you are nuts if you think anything involving "capping" the connector is going to begin construction later this year. is there a specific phase you have heard about beginning this year? if you are referring to the construction of the Peachtree Bridge beautification project, then yes that should begin later this year, but has nothing to do with capping the connector.. in fact, it is a reason they would be even more hesitant to cap the connector in the areas where those Peachtree Bridge overpasses are because then you wouldnt be able to even see the bridge sculptures from the connector.

The first "cap" project that might happen would be the Capitol Gateway project, shown about halfway down in the images in your post. but the capping part of this wont be happening any time soon. They might begin construction on the plaza that will replace the old parking deck next to the Capitol, but that really isnt about capping the connector..

all that being said, I'm with you. i want all this to happen. The entire connector between the Capitol and Brookwood will never be capped, but Capitol Gateway, and probably connecting Mayors Park where Piedmont Rd crosses, would be a great idea
But it is a part of the Connector project, and they are considering starting the same time as the beautifying bridges (phase1)

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 9:42 PM

This is also where people can talk about it, and talk about their reasons for it or whatever.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 10:20 PM

that's cool. Im cool with that.

i actually went to the original public open forum round table meeting concerning the "Atlanta Connector Project" .. I went home that night and mocked this up. of course this is looking from the Peachtree St. Bridge over to Civic center MATRA bridge, so in reality this section will never be capped. but one can dream right! the ideal location for my below proposal would be between Peachtree and Courtland where Mayors Park is, but i fear that wont ever happen either

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigATL View Post
But it is a part of the Connector project, and they are considering starting the same time as the beautifying bridges (phase1)
The focus of that project is beautifying the Connector not capping it. That being said, the project does include long-term plans for two parks over the connector at the Capitol and at Peachtree street as forj illustrated above.

The project that will begin this year is a remake of the Peachtree street bridge between Midtown and Brookwood.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
The focus of that project is beautifying the Connector not capping it. That being said, the project does include long-term plans for two parks over the connector at the Capitol and at Peachtree street as forj illustrated above.

The project that will begin this year is a remake of the Peachtree street bridge between Midtown and Brookwood.
I really hope they dont put crappy designs up on the bridges

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 3:54 PM

This is the design they plan to implement on the two Peachtree St. bridge overpasses ( one downtown, one at Brookwood by the Amtrak station. I'm not a huge fan of it for various reasons that i wont go into too much, but i do like that people will walk underneath the sculpture which gives it an aspect of interactivity. The fences will be similar to what they have done on the Beltline where fences are required which should be pretty nice

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 5:18 PM

Quote:
This is the design they plan to implement on the two Peachtree St. bridge overpasses ( one downtown, one at Brookwood by the Amtrak station. I'm not a huge fan of it for various reasons that i wont go into too much, but i do like that people will walk underneath the sculpture which gives it an aspect of interactivity. The fences will be similar to what they have done on the Beltline where fences are required which should be pretty nice]
Thanks! I can't say I'm a huge fan of this design either but I do like that the sculpture will be above the sidewalk. I was not aware of that feature.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2014, 5:54 PM

it seems to me like the median and curb design reflects what they have been doing on Peachtree up in Buckhead. is there a plan to implement that look/design in the city as well? i like the look of what they are doing in Buckhead in regards to this.

And yes seeing these renders really changed my mind about the project and the design overall. Still not a huge fan but it really integrates the sculpture with the sidewalk in a rather interesting way. if it was a flat design up against the side of the bridge without spanning the sidewalk as it does in these renders i would be really disappointed - that is the direction i thought it was headed originally. I reached out to the Vice President of Planning and Economic Development and actually spoke with her on the phone. Which is how I came to obtain these renders. I got the impression they are using high quality materials and are putting a lot of thought into this, which made me feel better as well

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Thanks! I can't say I'm a huge fan of this design either but I do like that the sculpture will be above the sidewalk. I was not aware of that feature.
I totally agree with you, but a question will light be LEED?? AND FEATURES OF DIFFERENT COLORS INSTEAD OF WHITE?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 2:18 AM

I was told it will be lit with LEDs. Multiple colors is surely being discussed and more than likely will be a feature

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 3:34 AM

It's great to see any action on this; the bridge improvements will be a nice start. Thanks for the good information forj.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 10:47 PM

It will be if the developers do atleast one bridge like this
EX. the atlanta logo on phillips arena and put that on the bridge. That would be cool

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 11:55 PM

It wouldn't even have to be that obvious or gaudy. Merely provide enough elements to accentuate that the bridge is more than a raw device for vehicular traffic. Add the pedestrian scale ornamentation on the top so that walkers and bikers can feel it was indeed designed for them, then reflect on the outside (and below), as well, that the bridge is accomodating such slower pace and smaller users with accentuated arches, decorative steel work and lighting, stronger vertical elements, etc. Basically, treat these like bridges over a river, as visual anchors or destinations for those crosing and those passing under.

If you make spaces and structures oriented around just the machine then the machine is the only thing that can appreciate them. Atlanta needs more spaces that can be appreciated by people.

I do think, however, it would make for a richer effect if most, if not all the bridges shared a common design. If done right, of course. There are so many together that I feel it would resonate more deeply with a sense of rhythm or pattern.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 1:28 PM

Quote:
I was told it will be lit with LEDs. Multiple colors is surely being discussed and more than likely will be a feature
the only problem with multicoloured LEDs is that they don't do white well— see the new lights atop the king and queen towers for what i mean. if the colours are constantly changing, it looks fine.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 8:58 AM
I've been around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pessimistic Observer View Post
the connector is already capped by bridges this project just improves those "caps" it doesn't really create any new over head capping for the connector.
Good because it'd be a shame if people missed out on the imposing skyline. They'd think the Galleria was downtown Atlanta :-)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta