HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

1900 Arch Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 4:57 AM

I walked by tonight and here is what I saw: the whole lot is cleared and dug down about 10 feet. Lying about the space are about 40' or so long iron rails. They are angled with three fairly even planes. Natural iron. I'm not sure what they are, but I said a quick prayer that they aren't something they use to reinforce pavement for, ugh, surface parking lots. Does anyone know anything else.? This block needs this project badly to cover the eyesore lot, and the bigger eyesore parking garage under the coop that can be seen from Arch.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rricci View Post
I walked by tonight and here is what I saw: the whole lot is cleared and dug down about 10 feet. Lying about the space are about 40' or so long iron rails. They are angled with three fairly even planes. Natural iron. I'm not sure what they are, but I said a quick prayer that they aren't something they use to reinforce pavement for, ugh, surface parking lots. Does anyone know anything else.? This block needs this project badly to cover the eyesore lot, and the bigger eyesore parking garage under the coop that can be seen from Arch.
Digging for the 2 story underground parking garage proposed for this project? I hope so.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 12:21 AM

They're definitely digging for the underground parking garage/foundation

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 5:39 AM

Walked by again today ( can you tell I'm eager for some action on this site?) and saw a pile of steel beams- the only difference since they drove in a steel wall between this and the hideous parking garage behind it. I say that I'm feeling very uneasy about his project since it calls for a 2 level underground garage, and I see no evidence of digging that deep. Has there been a change in plans, or do I just now understand the prep process for digging?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rricci View Post
Walked by again today ( can you tell I'm eager for some action on this site?) and saw a pile of steel beams- the only difference since they drove in a steel wall between this and the hideous parking garage behind it. I say that I'm feeling very uneasy about his project since it calls for a 2 level underground garage, and I see no evidence of digging that deep. Has there been a change in plans, or do I just now understand the prep process for digging?
Could very well be prep.... or they could have nixed the underground parking garage. Guess we'll see. Remember the underground parking garage is only going to be 1 or 2 floors. They're not going to be digging nearly as deep as the Family Court Building.

Either way this has been confirmed to be under construction by several Real Estate Agencies.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 3:23 AM

Development of this was temporarily halted because the developer (PMC) discovered a ton of rock on the property below the surface that would otherwise have to be blasted. The parking garage was compressed and the height of the building will now be 5 feet taller than initially thought. PMC is meeting with the Kennedy Housing and discussing the matter

They're really complaining about 5 more feet?

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 4:05 AM

Looks like this is under construction, some steel is in the ground, some more is on site.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Looks like this is under construction, some steel is in the ground, some more is on site.

Any updates on this? Does anyone know when this goes back before the LSNA / Kennedy House folks to approve revised design?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2012, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jn00 View Post
Any updates on this? Does anyone know when this goes back before the LSNA / Kennedy House folks to approve revised design?
Haven't been over that way in a few weeks. I'll check out the site after the hurricane passes and update you.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2012, 5:06 PM

10/31/2012

Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 11:31 AM

Rock not a surprise...

Quote:
Development of this was temporarily halted because the developer (PMC) discovered a ton of rock on the property below the surface that would otherwise have to be blasted. The parking garage was compressed and the height of the building will now be 5 feet taller than initially thought. PMC is meeting with the Kennedy Housing and discussing the matter

They're really complaining about 5 more feet?

At one point, well before start-on-site, PMC tried to sell this deal to other developers...numbers didnt work because of underlying rock conditions, well identified in geotech reports..costs to build two parking levels below grade were exhorbitant, not only because of known rock, but also water table....

I surmise that PMC started project knowing that they would go back to neighbors/LSNA with the "unexpected" rock story after being granted all necessary permits/approvals...just sayin'...

Old Posted Nov 2, 2012, 12:36 PM

I love this building for some reason. One of the best aspects of this project is that it will block the view of the apartment building on JFK (Kennedy House?).

Old Posted Nov 7, 2012, 4:00 AM

Are they drilling for foundation? Was the underground parking garage nixed?

http://nakedphilly.com/logan-square/...-not-for-long/

Old Posted Nov 7, 2012, 7:35 PM
BeenThere,DoneThat

I said this once before but it makes even more sense now. As long as the Kennedy House garage is already there, the new building should also have an above ground garage facing it behind the residential portion. A below ground garage will just create south side apartments facing into the Kennedy House garage which will be hard to rent.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2012, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
I said this once before but it makes even more sense now. As long as the Kennedy House garage is already there, the new building should also have an above ground garage facing it behind the residential portion. A below ground garage will just create south side apartments facing into the Kennedy House garage which will be hard to rent.
Yeah makes sense to me. It looks like they are drilling for foundation now so it looks like the underground garage was nixed. Possibly a slightly taller building was approved by the Kennedy House? Maybe we can get a building with a few more floors

Old Posted Nov 8, 2012, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Maybe we can get a building with a few more floors
Maybe we can get a building with a new design

Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 11:59 PM

Walked past the site yesterday and there was lots of action. Seems like this is back on.
I think this will add to the views a of center city particularly from 30th street. Currently there is an almost I obstructed view of Comcast so I think this will add some depth. Also, with lots of windows, will be much more attractive than the side of Kennedy house

Old Posted Nov 21, 2012, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jn00 View Post
Walked past the site yesterday and there was lots of action. Seems like this is back on.
I think this will add to the views a of center city particularly from 30th street. Currently there is an almost I obstructed view of Comcast so I think this will add some depth. Also, with lots of windows, will be much more attractive than the side of Kennedy house
Very nice... I will take some pictures after Thanksgiving.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 5:05 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Greg Meckstroth at the Philadelphia Real Estate Blog offers some pictures:

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Nov 26, 2012, 5:41 PM

I have a feeling this is going to take a while. Family Court Building part 2?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive