HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jan 17, 2015, 6:15 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
Also, that map in the post above me makes no sense. How did they determine those routes? Certainly not based on any actual traffic patterns.
Nothing about the "hyperloop" makes any sense. Anyone with even a basic understanding of engineering knows it's a pipe dream (literally).

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 8:22 PM

Hyperloop Is Real: Meet The Startups Selling Supersonic Travel
Quote:
[...]
You remember the hyperloop, don’t you? It’s that far-out idea billionaire industrialist Elon Musk proposed in a 58-page white paper in August 2013 for a vacuum-tube transport network that could hurtle passengers from San Francisco to Los Angeles at 760 miles an hour. Laughed off as science fiction, it is as of today an actual industry with three legitimate groups pushing it forward, including Hyperloop Technologies, the team in Harry Reid’s office. They emerge from “stealth” mode with this article, armed with an $8.5 million war chest and plans for a $80 million round later this year. “We have the team, the tools and the technology,” says BamBrogan. “We can do this.” The 21st-century space race is on.
[...]
Hyperloop Technologies is the Dream Team, enlisting a formidable lineup of Silicon Valley and Washington superstars, most with a strong connection to Musk. Pishevar, the 40-year-old poised to break into the billionaire ranks thanks to his investment in Uber, is a Musk intimate and the one who forced his friend to reveal publicly his hyperloop vision in the first place. His new Sherpa Ventures fund led Hyperloop Technologies’ seed round, along with Formation 8, overseen by Joe Lonsdale, another young (FORBES 30 Under 30) centimillionaire hyperloop enthusiast and cofounder of big-data colossus Palantir. Now add Messina, who oversaw President Obama’s 2012 reelection campaign; cochairman David Sacks, who worked under Musk at PayPal before scoring big at Yammer; Peter Diamandis, founder of the X Prize Foundation, on whose board Musk sits; and BamBrogan, who until recently was one of Musk’s key SpaceX engineers. Musk has received regular updates from this group. President Obama has been briefed as well.
Finish here: LINK

I dunno guys, this is sounding pretty serious. I'm not willing to discount this idea yet...

And I approve of their choice of route, between LA and LV. That is the ideal route for this thing.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
Hyperloop Is Real: Meet The Startups Selling Supersonic Travel

Finish here: LINK

I dunno guys, this is sounding pretty serious. I'm not willing to discount this idea yet...

And I approve of their choice of route, between LA and LV. That is the ideal route for this thing.
Glad they are opting for a LA/LV route. The initial proposal to do an LA/SF route while attempting to derail current high speed rail route was disgusting. I was very, very disappointed in Musk for attempting to throw the USA's first true HSR project under the bus to prop up his own still-just-theoretical project.

Please follow on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 9:33 PM
Show me the blueprints

Agreed on the Los Angeles - Las Vegas planned route. Theme park to theme park seems appropriate for such a project.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 10:13 PM

Excellent. Keep on pushing that envelope. My only concern is that currently undeveloped land along the routes could be opened up to development, encouraging sprawl and environmental damage. The last thing i would want is more sprawl development in the inland empire and vegas suburbs

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 11:20 PM
Administrator

^Unlikely, since this thing needs to stop as little as possible to achieve its stated goals of speed and energy efficiency.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2015, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonhouse View Post
^Unlikely, since this thing needs to stop as little as possible to achieve its stated goals of speed and energy efficiency.
good point. Hopefully it stays that way and is a straight shot.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2015, 8:20 PM

Elon Musk's Hyperloop Moves Closer to Becoming Reality
Quote:
Hyperloop Transportation Technologies has signed an agreement with a developer in central California to build a five-mile Hyperloop line in an area along Interstate 5.

[...]

The deal signed with developers of Quay Valley in central California calls for construction to start next year and be completed by 2019. Ahlborn estimates the five mile Hyperloop will cost about $100 million to build.
LINK TO ARTICLE

So the test track will be complete in 2019. Then testing on the test track will take several more years. Then comes years of financing once (or if) they come up with something commercially viable. And then they can actually start constructing a hyperloop along a useful alignment.

I wish them luck for sure... but in the meanwhile I'll be riding the bullet train, thank you very much.

Also, $100 million for 5 miles is about $20 million per mile. Not bad. Not particularly good either, but not bad. Though I tend to doubt this will be a double-tracked (tubed) test track, so the real deal will probably cost more to build.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 6:23 PM

Hyperloop Transportation Technologies now has a main office and have raised $20 million out of the $80 needed for their test track. That means they have enough for one mile already.

Firm working on Elon Musk's Hyperloop leases space in L.A.'s Arts District

LINK

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 8:05 PM

and the plan is to expand to 38,000 sq ft rather quickly... Big gain for the Arts District and a fantastic sign for the future of Hyperloop

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 4:25 PM

you can never discount Elon musk. he is a mover and a shaker the likes of which we haven't seen since the industrial era. i say bravo to him and his idea will no doubt be far better than current models of maglev. in fact maglev had its shot and failed to catch on. its time for a more advanced system to take over from here and maybe people will buy in this time around.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2015, 5:45 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteford View Post
you can never discount Elon musk. he is a mover and a shaker the likes of which we haven't seen since the industrial era. i say bravo to him and his idea will no doubt be far better than current models of maglev. in fact maglev had its shot and failed to catch on. its time for a more advanced system to take over from here and maybe people will buy in this time around.
They won't if it is too advance and too expensive. Surface transportation isn't the only form of transport that is cost conscience. Supersonic jetliners didn't catch on or last as long because it was also too expensive.

Advancements in technology become more acceptable if they are also cheaper!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 6:33 PM

A Glimpse at What the Hyperloop Might Actually Be Like

http://gizmodo.com/heres-a-glimpse-a...-be-1710274900

LA to NY in about 2 hours 45 minutes, compared to 6.5+ flying

50 metropolitan areas ranked by 9 criteria for Hyperloop-readiness

A comparison of how far from LA’s Union Station one can get in 30 minutes before and after Hyperloop

Proposed route alignment from Anaheim to SF, with a spur to Las Vegas

Structural diagram for the tube itself

Demonstrating the tubes’ multifunctional uses

Integration with subway-like Urban Loops found in cities

A boarding strategy includes seats that slide in when the capsule is ready to leave

Instead of windows, passengers are treated to VR experiences

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 9:32 PM

well, that looks amazing. Viability of the system is the question mark, obviously. Cant wait till the first test runs

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 9:47 PM
Ex Houstonian

Wow this is an incredible project, if it ever catches on though it would be sad to lose rail infrastructure but of course rail will still be needed for shipping purposes.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 7:07 PM

Hyperloop Tech announces a new “open-air” test track capable of 335 mph in Nevada by early 2016

Read More: http://electrek.co/2015/12/08/hyperl...by-early-2016/

Quote:
Hyperloop Technologies Inc. announced today a deal with Nevada officials to build a new test track for “Propulsion Open Air Test” (POAT) in the state. Hardware will begin arriving this month at the Apex Industrial Park in the City of North Las Vegas, and testing should begin in early 2016.

- The Propulsion Open Air Test will occur on a track of approximately 1 km where the custom-designed linear electric motor will be tested at speeds of 540 km/hour. The Hyperloop technical team, led by CTO and co-founder Brogan BamBrogan, is pioneering unique innovations including advancements in propulsion, tube design and fabrication, levitation systems, pod designs and thermodynamics and systems engineering.

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 9, 2015, 8:40 PM

I don't know enough about the technology to even guess if the Hyperloop is viable or not.

I do, however, applaud the idea of looking for new solutions to transportation. People who right it off as a fantasy or more of a theme park ride then viable transportation are short sighted with little vision.

If you ask someone 200 years ago about the idea of running transportation of a couple lines of metal as opposed to on a regular road you would have been committed. When the idea took off, 30 years later if you would have proposed the lines run underground then again you would have been committed. If even 50 year ago when computers were the size of a room that within a few decades everyone would be walking around with a computer that they can stick in their wallet, you would have been...............well you know.

The people who resist new technology and more importantly new ideas that shatter our set belief systems are either parochial or have business interests at heart. Of course the big companies mock such ideas............they have untold billions to lose by such ventures.

What do such companies do as an alternative, they bring in incremental change...........improvements to existing technologies that enrich their bottom line. The cities and countries of the future will not be those who try to just slowing improve what we already have but those that embrace the future and are willing to take chances that can result in a breaking of our current paradigms.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 3:57 PM

Video Link

I don't believe all the claims made by hyperloop supporters, but I do hope that the concept actually works. Here's hoping that the test track - due to be finished this year - works out!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 6:58 PM

Awesome. Elon Musk is creating and inspiring a generation of people to dream again. I'm stoked about this possibility

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
Awesome. Elon Musk is creating and inspiring a generation of people to dream again. I'm stoked about this possibility
DAMN! I wish more billionaires were like ELon, seriously he reminds me of the robber barons that built civic amenities and universities.

Come on billionaires quit giving money to Africa, that's a black hole you'll never fill.

Build stuff in America and Europe like the rich people of old!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation