HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 1:19 AM

In case you hadn't noticed however, Calgary is in Canada and not the US.

Even in socially conservative Calgary, transit is viewed completely differently from even the more liberal US cities. Canadians are far more communal in their lifestyles and consider transit as an essential service just as education or healthcare is as opposed to the US where transit is considered a social service like welfare. In Canada there is no negative stigma to taking transit while there is a huge stigma in the US especially buses. No US city of just 1.3 million will ever, ever come close to Calgary ridership levels.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 11:50 AM

Canada cannot reasonably be compared to U.S. in terms of transit usage. Too different in terms of culture/economics/infrastructure.

I think the latest numbers are mildly positive. They're really the first quarterly numbers since peak rideshare that show some modest growth.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 12:11 PM

Oh, and what is going on with the APTA data collection, esp. for Canada?

Toronto "reports" a >100% increase in light rail ridership, an apparent ridership of 0 on commuter rail, huge increases in subway ridership and huge decreases in bus ridership. The latter two are semi-plausible, but something's up with light rail/commuter rail.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 6:36 PM
Volatile Pacivist

I'm not sure about the commuter rail because I can't even find GO Transit listed so i assume they failed to report for some reason, but the light rail and bus figure changes may have been fluctuating lately because of streetcar shortages and delivery. Streetcar ridership dropped for awhile after significant parts of the service was replaced temporarily with buses when not enough streetcars were available although more vehicles have been delivered by Bombardier which i believe has allowed much if not all of the streetcar service to resume. While the buses were filling in during the prior quarter, the bus ridership numbers would have been inflated since these are some of the system's busiest surface routes while the streetcar numbers would have been depressed. When that ended the opposite would occur.

However, the percentage change was much greater for the streetcars since it's a smaller overall portion of the TTC system, but the absolute magnitude of change is similar. The bus ridership drop was 33.6 million for the quarter while the streetcar ridership increase was 43.12 million. It makes sense that the streetcar increase would be a greater magnitude because then new streetcars are higher capacity allowing them to absorb latent demand previously shut out by crowding and the new King St. transit corridor has attracted ridership by reducing delays.

As for the subway, the only explanation I can think of is that the notable ridership growth may be partially related to the new 8.6km extension out to York University and the suburb of Vaughn.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 8:03 PM

The Dundas streetcar line in Toronto is currently operating with buses because of road construction.

There have been comments within the last year about inconsistent reporting of ridership numbers from Toronto. It relates to whether linked or unlinked trips are being reported.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 8:06 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Do you remember if any of the streetcar network was served by buses in April, May and June?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 8:31 PM
Aimless Wanderer

^ The Dundas Streetcar line has been served by buses for well over a year now.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 2:52 AM

A Streetsblog article on the (modest) rebound in U.S. transit ridership, basically due to improvements in NYC and DC:

Urban Transit Systems are Adding Riders (Mostly)

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2019/10/...riders-mostly/

Old Posted Oct 19, 2019, 4:51 PM
Insertoronto

Calgary LRT is busy because employment is heavily focused downtown and downtown parking rates are second behind only NYC on the continent for price. It simply is way cheaper to take the LRT to work for most people.

Other than that single reason, Calgary is as car reliant as they come. Basically no non-commuting trips are made by public transit.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2019, 11:32 PM

San Francisco's Muni Metro (light rail) should see a slight uptick in ridership now that the Warriors' new arena has opened in the city. All tickets sold for events at the Chase Center include free Muni fare, and the nearby Metro stop was significantly expanded and improved to better handle the crowds.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 12:27 PM

^ That will even more be helped when the Central Subway is completed and there is a fast connection between BART and the arena.

I'm glad that the T-Third Street is living up to its potential.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2019, 9:40 PM
Love it or leave it : )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
The 2Q numbers from APTA are finally out.

I sense that the rideshare-based decline in the U.S. is bottoming out. A number of transit agencies see increased ridership again. In NYC, basically every agency, for every mode of transit, shows ridership gains. Some, like the LIRR, show extremely robust gains.

At some point, rideshare has to be fully "priced into" the ridership numbers. I think we're approaching that point.
You would hope so! How could transit organizations continue to lose riders when the US population has increased by 20 million since 2010. At some point, we'll add enough transit dependent people by population growth alone.

We've added about 57% of Canada's total population to our population since 2010.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation