HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Feb 7, 2013, 7:02 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rla82 View Post
My larger concern is the new trend of 5 floors of above-grade parking beneath a residential tower. In the future when there IS lower demand for parking how are those floors retrofitted into anything viable? Though certainly more expensive, the City could be requiring below-grade parking for these new towers. That may make it less viable to construct a 20-story building, but 5- and 6-story buildings fill in the gaps in our fabric just as well and can create just as nice of a city (if not better, i.e. European models).
Parking podiums are my pet peeve. I understand underground parking is much more expensive. I wonder too, when we do get to the point where we can go completely car-free, what's going to happen to these podiums. Public parking wouldn't be half bad either since that's another issue we're going to start running into soon.

What's worse than those though? The prefabricated parking structures for the 5-story developments that are 1/3 the size and just as tall as the 5-story developments. These are also becoming a trend and it makes me quiver. Luckily they're kind of ish hidden sort of..
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive