HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 11, 2009, 5:18 AM
Meh

Kimmel to deliver weeknight weather on KEYE starting Monday

http://www.austin360.com/blogs/conte...ng_monday.html

Quote:
Kimmel to deliver weeknight weather on KEYE starting Monday

By Gary Dinges | Friday, July 10, 2009, 03:52 PM

Turns out Troy Kimmel’s second tour of duty at KEYE will last longer than initially advertised.

Much longer.

The well-known meteorologist, who has been delivering weekend forecasts on a temporary basis this summer, will permanently move to 5, 6 and 10 weeknights starting Monday. The transition marks a return to a shift Kimmel first filled in 2000, when he was hired as the CBS station’s chief meteorologist.

He left in 2003 to focus on teaching at the University of Texas and delivering weather reports for Clear Channel’s Austin radio stations, but was wooed back as a fill-in earlier this year by news director Suzanne Black and general manager Amy Villarreal.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2009, 6:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
It's a no brainer, he's coming into the easiest job in Austin right now. Just say -

Today: Sunny. Triple digit heat. Chance of rain, zero.

Tomorrow: Same.

7 day forecast: Same, same, same, same, same, same followed by same.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2009, 7:16 AM
Meh

Yep. Nice avatar, haha.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2009, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
It's a no brainer, he's coming into the easiest job in Austin right now. Just say -

Today: Sunny. Triple digit heat. Chance of rain, zero.

Tomorrow: Same.

7 day forecast: Same, same, same, same, same, same followed by same.

Man! I don't remember it ever being this hot........

(I thought it was Jimmy K. when I saw the headline )

Old Posted Jul 12, 2009, 12:37 AM
Meh

Yeah well, old school Austinites will remember Troy Kimmel. He used to do the weather for KVUE way back in the day, like back in the late 80s. He knows his stuff when it comes to Austin's weather. He's basically the longest running meteorologist in Austin that hasn't retired yet.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2009, 1:44 AM

KevinfromTexas will either confirm or dispute this..but this move also reunites Troy Kimmel with Judy Maggio and Ron Oliveira...all 3 worked together(?) for a period of time at KVUE back in late 80s and perhaps into the early '90s

Old Posted Jul 12, 2009, 2:19 AM

That's quite a trio! I think I'll be tuning in again finally.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2009, 3:27 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Yeah well, old school Austinites will remember Troy Kimmel. He used to do the weather for KVUE way back in the day, like back in the late 80s. He knows his stuff when it comes to Austin's weather. He's basically the longest running meteorologist in Austin that hasn't retired yet.
KVUE really messed up when they let Troy get away, along with Judy Maggio and Ron Oliviera. Today's news teams seem pretty amateurish compared with the teams of the past.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 4:17 AM
I'm one fathom tall

Location: Sicilia (Sicily) 6 months a year/ Texas 6 months a year
I know Troy; he is a good guy. I took both his upper and lower division weather classes while a geography undergrad at UT. I also got my severe wx spotter certificate with him there. He is actually a member of another online forum I frequent. Good for him. His classes were some of my favourites at UT.

Ciao,
AWACS

Io sempre voglio la fica della mia mogile.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 6:25 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by austintilIdie View Post
KevinfromTexas will either confirm or dispute this..but this move also reunites Troy Kimmel with Judy Maggio and Ron Oliveira...all 3 worked together(?) for a period of time at KVUE back in late 80s and perhaps into the early '90s
I believe that's true. They're probably three of the longest running anchor/meteorologists in Austin. Ron Olivera had gone away for a while too. He actually moved away from Austin for several years and only came back about 2 years ago. Judy Maggio has pretty much been here her whole career though.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 8:00 AM
Closed account

Ron Oliveira did not move away.

Austin Chronicle March 3, 2006
http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrob...d=oid%3A344548
March 8 will mark the return to the airwaves of veteran local anchor Ron Oliveira, who departed ABC affiliate KVUE last year and signed two months later with KEYE, the CBS affiliate.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 8:12 AM
Closed account

Also just want to mention Fred Cantu 1984(KEYE), Robert Hadlock 1987(KXAN), Jim Spencer 1990(KXAN), as well as Mark Murray 1990(KVUE) as local news personalities who've been around for a long time.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 8:24 AM
Closed account

And Mike Barnes, Olga Campos, Roger Wallace, Jim Swift, Dave Cody, as well as many others. I went to the stations websites and looked it up. There are a whole lot of anchors, weatherman, as well as just reporters that have been around here for 10+ years. Don't know why someone said it seemed amateurish now.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 4:45 PM
Austinite

I also took Troy's course at UT. I passed with flying colors...being a weather freak and all Also got to sit in on a live newscast.

He is by far my favorite local TV meteorologist... always liked him.

I'm showing my age here, but does anyone remember Tim Ross? He made a grand entrance at my elementary school, arriving in a KVUE news helicopter that landed in our school playground. When he stepped out, my classmates erupted into an enormous roar of excitement. I accidentally stepped on his foot during his live telecast. Being 5 years old at the time, he barely noticed.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 5:53 PM

Austin TV-WX

Anyone know what happened to Megan Campbell???

She sure had a nice delivery.

Lets see who has been there the longest...anyone remember when Tim Ross did the WX on KVUE?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2009, 11:19 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottolini View Post
Also just want to mention Fred Cantu 1984(KEYE), Robert Hadlock 1987(KXAN), Jim Spencer 1990(KXAN), as well as Mark Murray 1990(KVUE) as local news personalities who've been around for a long time.
Those were some of the others I was thinking of also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post

I'm showing my age here, but does anyone remember Tim Ross? He made a grand entrance at my elementary school, arriving in a KVUE news helicopter that landed in our school playground. When he stepped out, my classmates erupted into an enormous roar of excitement. I accidentally stepped on his foot during his live telecast. Being 5 years old at the time, he barely noticed.
Yep. I remember him. He came to my elementary school too. I must have been in either the 3rd or 4th grade, which would have meant it was 1990 or 1991.

Some others I was thinking of who retired or moved out of Austin are Connor Vernon, Neal Spelce, Dick Ellis and Gordon Smith.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 1:05 AM

Ugh.. I'm old. lol

Old Posted Jul 15, 2009, 3:56 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
I also took Troy's course at UT. I passed with flying colors...being a weather freak and all Also got to sit in on a live newscast.

He is by far my favorite local TV meteorologist... always liked him.

I used to be active in the American Meteorological Society, and Troy could throw some nice AMS meetings at his house. We weather guys can be kinda strange, given that one of the favorite "after meeting" activities was to watch reruns of Green Acres at Troy's house. Oh...I had forgotten about Tim Ross. He was very nice to everyone and extremely popular.

Whoever mentioned the other forum where Troy visits, could you please send me a message and let me know which one? Thanks

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin