HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 1:10 PM
Philly Pholly

180 guest rooms with dining space, 50,000 square feet of office space.
Any guess as to how tall this will be?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
180 guest rooms with dining space, 50,000 square feet of office space.
Any guess as to how tall this will be?
From the article:

The Philadelphia Department of Licenses and Inspections issued zoning permits for a construction project that would reach 11 stories at its highest point to be used for visitor accommodations, offices, and dining.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 2:22 PM
Philly Pholly

I sure would have liked to see something much taller

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 4:11 PM

Eh, I'm fine with 11 stories there. I think those buildings are beautiful and I'm glad they're being (mostly) preserved

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 4:16 PM

I'm also fine with 11 floors here. Still plenty of opportunities for height in the area, including the massive PECO lot, the Trader Joe's lot, the 2000, 2100 and 2200 block of JFK, plus obviously, the 2300 block PMC office tower proposal. There's also the parking lot on 21st between Ludlow and Chestnut Streets, the parking lots and lowrise on the corner of 21st and Chestnut, the parking garage on the other corner of 21st and Chestnut, the Sunoco gas station at 22nd and Walnut, the Rite Aid at 23rd and Walnut, and of course, the Mandeville Place lot on 24th Street.

There's just WAY too much develop-able land in this area to be complaining about height already.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 4:35 PM

^And demolishing what's already there seems to be the last thing we'd want to do. As you say, too many lots. Building up existing structures makes sense where possible.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 7:12 PM

Good to see. Need more of this on Girard!

Apartments planned on Girard Ave. in Philly’s Ludlow area by newly formed development venture

Read more here:
https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20200204.html

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 11:26 PM

Well that was too good to be true...
One party wants to continue to run it as a refinery, which boggles my mind considering this is an ancient facility compared to facilities down south. And Sunoco doesn't want anything to do with the remediation its' responsible for so they claim the land can only ever be used for chemical/energy use.

South Philly refinery sale delayed, and will not be resolved this week

https://www.inquirer.com/business/en...-20200204.html

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 1:58 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Cool project, 600,000sf still have to be leased but its been a long time since Juniata has seen development.

SHIFT Project in Kensington Anchored by Glasshouse Sports & Education Center

"The mixed-use project at 956 E. Erie Ave. will be anchored by the Glasshouse Sports & Education Center, Philadelphia’s first world-class multi-sport indoor/outdoor education complex committed to building healthy communities through sports.

Zach Ertz of the Philadelphia Eagles and Julie Ertz of the U.S. Women’s National Soccer Team, together, through the Ertz Family Foundation are partnering with Street Soccer USA to build the center, which is slated to open in 2021.

The property, located across from Coca Cola’s regional headquarters and SHIFT’s MaKen Studios, was once home to Progress Lighting."

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
Cool project, 600,000sf still have to be leased but its been a long time since Juniata has seen development.

SHIFT Project in Kensington Anchored by Glasshouse Sports & Education Center

"The mixed-use project at 956 E. Erie Ave. will be anchored by the Glasshouse Sports & Education Center, Philadelphia’s first world-class multi-sport indoor/outdoor education complex committed to building healthy communities through sports.

Zach Ertz of the Philadelphia Eagles and Julie Ertz of the U.S. Women’s National Soccer Team, together, through the Ertz Family Foundation are partnering with Street Soccer USA to build the center, which is slated to open in 2021.

The property, located across from Coca Cola’s regional headquarters and SHIFT’s MaKen Studios, was once home to Progress Lighting."
Makes sense to have a facility focused on soccer in that zone given the high local latino population.

I like that area. Juniata is solidly middle class and has many nice blocks that are well tended and cared for. I think Erie Avenue has a lot of potential to become (again) a major employment zone. In fact, it should have the same tax incentives that are available at the Navy Yard and in West Philly. I think it has MORE potential than those areas to attract light manufacturing uses.

Erie Avenue would also be a good candidate for light rail branching off the Broad Street line (moreso than Girard Avenue) given the major employers along it (St Christopher's, Coca Cola, etc).

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
Makes sense to have a facility focused on soccer in that zone given the high local latino population.

I like that area. Juniata is solidly middle class and has many nice blocks that are well tended and cared for. I think Erie Avenue has a lot of potential to become (again) a major employment zone. In fact, it should have the same tax incentives that are available at the Navy Yard and in West Philly. I think it has MORE potential than those areas to attract light manufacturing uses.

Erie Avenue would also be a good candidate for light rail branching off the Broad Street line (moreso than Girard Avenue) given the major employers along it (St Christopher's, Coca Cola, etc).
The Broad Street line has capability for an Erie Avenue spur to be built. I think the argument could be made that service is justified.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 5:34 PM

Quote:

Are there a lot of Mexicans, Central Americans, and South Americans in this area? I know Hispanics don't play soccer (Dominicans, Boricuas, and Cubans) of which there are a lot of in this area.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 7:28 PM

Quote:

Doesn't Erie Ave already have old and unused trolley tracks there already? Most of the major East/West streets did.

Last edited by City Wide; Feb 9, 2020 at 8:02 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Doesn't already have old and unused trolley tracks there already? Most of the major East/West streets did.
Yes, the tracks are still there for the 56 trolley. The 56 bus route is quite busy with the long buses. Though all the over head cantery are gone. It's amazing to see development in Juniata. I look forward to all the development coming.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2020, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el don View Post
Are there a lot of Mexicans, Central Americans, and South Americans in this area? I know Hispanics don't play soccer (Dominicans, Boricuas, and Cubans) of which there are a lot of in this area.
I think Juniata specifically is middle class Puerto Rican.

But, on the other side of Juniata Park you have Castor Avenue/Oxford Circle/Lawncrest which is arguably the epicenter of Philly's Brazilian community. I think there are other Central and South Americans congregating in that area as well.

In my extended network I know of a few Costa Ricans and Venezuelans in Oxford Circle, so I'm assuming there are many more in that general area.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 8:05 PM

An apartment building by OCF close to completion on South street

I like an attempt to reuse the facade, but these aluminum panels are ridiculous.

Last edited by Yurkek; Feb 10, 2020 at 5:41 PM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2020, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurkek View Post

I like an attempt to reuse the facade, by these aluminum panels are ridiculous.
Yeaaaa - that’s a miss.

I don’t know if anyone saw this but Trump is trying to require federal buildings be done with more classic architectural features. Though I think modern style can be done beautifully, examples like this one make me wish there was a stronger design approval process to stop crap like this from happening.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...-again/606286/

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurkek View Post

I like an attempt to reuse the facade, by these aluminum panels are ridiculous.
Good god. I didn't realize they stack trailer parks vertical these days.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 2:44 AM
Show me the blueprints

Speaks volumes on how far man has come in 100 years.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 10, 2020, 3:06 AM

That’s fucking awful lol.

At least there will be a row of townhomes in the back there along Kater Street. That should help cover up some of that awful rear facade, but the front facade isn’t turning out too great either.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development