HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 7:01 PM

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 7:13 PM
Philly Pholly

"Apartment complex plan at Fairmount Ave. near Delaware River will preserve historic rowhouses"

700 N Delaware Avenue 1-30-20

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...zFW4FJx-j33oZs

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
"Apartment complex plan at Fairmount Ave. near Delaware River will preserve historic rowhouses"
Thank goodness! For as much as homes of the same era are scattered around Old City, Society Hill, and Queen Village, there is just something so authentic about this totally intact row of identical homes.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
This is a beautiful building, but that first-floor parking facing Delaware Avenue has got to go. How is that even allowed? We should be working towards activating Delaware Ave, not deadening it with parking and blank walls. A retail space would fit nicely at the corner of Delaware and Fairmount
If I were to make a largely uninformed guess, I'd say it has something to do with potential flooding and insurance.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2020, 10:23 PM

Lovely addition to the city and Del Ave. More of this, please!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 1:25 AM

New ‘co-living’ apartment building to rise on parking lot along Rail Park north of Center City

Quote:
The Quarters brand of dorm-like “co-living” apartments plans to operate its second Philadelphia location at a building to rise at what’s now a parking lot along the Rail Park north of Center City.

Quarters, a unit of the Medici Living Group of Berlin, Germany, has a lease to operate the six-story building planned at 1201 Callowhill St. as shared apartments with collective kitchens, bathrooms, and other communal spaces, it said in a statement this week.

The project will comprise shared flats with a total of 239 bedrooms, as well as a 42-space parking garage and 4,000-square-feet of lower-story retail space.
Read more here:
https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20200130.html

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
This is a beautiful building, but that first-floor parking facing Delaware Avenue has got to go. How is that even allowed? We should be working towards activating Delaware Ave, not deadening it with parking and blank walls. A retail space would fit nicely at the corner of Delaware and Fairmount
It's possible they crunched the numbers, and just can't make retail work right now based on average rent for retail in the area.

One Water Street built by PMC a few years ago now did they same thing. First floor parking that they said can be converted to retail in the future if demand calls for it.

Looks like they're doing a similar thing here. First floor parking that can easily be converted to retail in the future.

I'm OK with it.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
New ‘co-living’ apartment building to rise on parking lot along Rail Park north of Center City
Read more here:
https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20200130.html
For real, who does this cater to? Who would voluntarily live in what is essentially a dormitory?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 1:13 PM

Looks like University Place 3.0 is going to break ground soon.

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...h-profile.html

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 1:20 PM

This is interesting and will undoubtedly lead to more regulation which is likely to anger local developers building rowhomes or small condo buildings

https://whyy.org/articles/rotting-fr...tive-building/

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
This is interesting and will undoubtedly lead to more regulation which is likely to anger local developers building rowhomes or small condo buildings

https://whyy.org/articles/rotting-fr...tive-building/
Unfortunately, quality isn’t a standard with some developers. Maybe if the city required a 2-3 year warranty on their work (as differing from the standard 1 year), it would encourage better practices?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
For real, who does this cater to? Who would voluntarily live in what is essentially a dormitory?
20-something road warriors? Really depends on how cheap/expensive it is and what other amenities you might get with it - is there a gym you can use, etc.

To me this model seems to make sense if you can put these units in highly desirable locations - where you sacrifice some personal space but you gain an awesome location that you otherwise simply couldn't afford. Like off Rittenhouse Square or Central Park.

I will also add that when I was in my 20s - a lot of my friends in NYC lived in shared Brownstones in Brooklyn. 5 people, 5brs, sharing the house with random roommates that came and went. Often times these rooms were found on Craigslist, etc.- good way to meet some people in a new city. I mean, is this model really that different from that?

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
People right out of college who can’t afford it and don’t want to live with their parents til they’re 30. That being said I would hate it ha

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 5:30 PM

The concept is something I can understand, it's the location that doesn't make much sense to me. I would even understand this popping up in NoLibs/Fishtown, this area (while rapidly improving) is still sort of a dead zone. Hopefully they're cheap!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2020, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
Unfortunately, quality isn’t a standard with some developers. Maybe if the city required a 2-3 year warranty on their work (as differing from the standard 1 year), it would encourage better practices?
When the inquirer did the special report on suburban home defects they said State law is very friendly to home builders and gives them a lot of cover to escape liability for shoddy product.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milksteak View Post
The concept is something I can understand, it's the location that doesn't make much sense to me. I would even understand this popping up in NoLibs/Fishtown, this area (while rapidly improving) is still sort of a dead zone. Hopefully they're cheap!
Fishtown has one on Girard.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
When the inquirer did the special report on suburban home defects they said State law is very friendly to home builders and gives them a lot of cover to escape liability for shoddy product.
That’s unfortunate.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 12:50 AM
Philly Rising Up!

^^
I remember reading about this. This is just horrible.

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20181115.html

Old Posted Feb 1, 2020, 2:45 PM

Some of these new houses are absolute trash. These mcmansions in many neighborhoods are already being divided up into off campus student housing

Old Posted Feb 4, 2020, 12:35 PM

Hotel to fill in gap on west Market Street between Aramark HQ and planned Morgan Lewis law firm tower

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20200204.html

Quote:
Investment group Lubert-Adler has acquired the three early-20th-century industrial loft buildings beside Aramark Corp.'s headquarters on west Market Street with plans to convert the properties into an upscale hotel.

The group is proposing a luxury hotel of as many as 180 guest rooms with dining space that it hopes will be filled by a yet-to-be-identified local restaurateur, according a person with knowledge of the plan but unauthorized to discuss it publicly.

Last edited by Boku; Feb 4, 2020 at 3:34 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development