HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 1:49 PM
Sherwood Park as a Nation

Smile Edmonton bid for 2022 Commonwealth Games

Let's see where this goes, everyone....

City weighs bid for 2022 Games
Edmonton expertise would be advantage in nabbing Commonwealth Games, civic official says

Gordon Kent
Edmonton Journal

Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Edmonton could move to the centre of the international sporting world once again as it considers bidding for the 2022 Commonwealth Games.

"I don't know anything about the process or the financials or the timelines, but we'll certainly have a look at it," Candice Stasynec, external executive director of the city's intergovernmental affairs branch, said Monday.

"These opportunities are so few and far between that you can't not look at it. Over 30-plus years, we have a history. We have a bit of expertise in multi-sport events which not all cities do."...

gkent@edmontonjournal.com
© Edmonton Journal 2012

Copyright © 2012 CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.
CanWest Interactive, a division of CanWest MediaWorks Publications, Inc.. All rights reserved.

http://www2.canada.com/components/pr...d033c&sponsor=

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 2:30 PM

Meh. Been there, done that, wore the t-shirt, ate the burger.

Leave the Commonwealth Games for small fry cities like Regina, and go after the bigger fish like the Pan Am Games.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 3:19 PM

While I agree - Toronto hosting the Pan Am Games in 2015 means we likely wouldn't get a shot until closer to 2031, at the earliest.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 3:19 PM
Community Guy

Commonwealth would be good to host again, but yes, i'd prefer we focus on larger events. That said and given how many good cities now apply, perhaps we should focus on somewhat more realistic events?

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 3:41 PM

Commonwealth has gotten bigger; the smaller nations treat it differently. It is a developmental competition for countries like Canada, Britain and Australia, so you tend to see up and comers. Other than upgrading facilities there is not much we need. Its one of the reasons the World Masters games came here, they were in need of a quick host change when the original city backed out at the last minute. And I agree we will not see the Pan Ams in our life time.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 4:08 PM

Calgary has bid for the Winter Olympics again.

We might as well bid for the Commonwealth games again.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 6:19 PM
Clearshades

Summer olympics and world track & field are the biggies internationally; winter olympics is next. Anything else is secondary... Commonwealth will help tourism though.

I like to see an Edmonton/Calgary bid, together, for the winter olympics just so we can spur the highspeed rail for Alberta.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 6:23 PM

I thought I heard when India was hosting that the CG are the third largest multi-sporting event after the Summer and Winter Olies.
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearshades View Post
Summer olympics and world track & field are the biggies internationally; winter olympics is next. Anything else is secondary... Commonwealth will help tourism though.

I like to see an Edmonton/Calgary bid, together, for the winter olympics just so we can spur the highspeed rail for Alberta.
Keep the Edm/Cal thing for world juniors. Cant see it logistically working for the CG's. Too costly for international media to have two crews. Not to mention that it would add additional cost for countries if sending portions of their athelets to each city. A joint bid would not be looked upon favourably I would think.
Edmonton is much better equipped to host, and has the facilities to do so.
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 6:31 PM

Commonwealth Games bid + success = new 15,000 seat soccer stadium (as part of the airport redevelopment adjacent to NAIT)

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper and one o nin View Post
Keep the Edm/Cal thing for world juniors. Cant see it logistically working for the CG's. Too costly for international media to have two crews. Not to mention that it would add additional cost for countries if sending portions of their athelets to each city. A joint bid would not be looked upon favourably I would think.
I agree, but the IOC and CGA are looking at reducing costs and will not entertain joint bids if they can help it. CGA is also looking at Sport Development in other countries. Operating in 2 centres is a no brainer.
In London this year sports out at Eaton are not staying in the Olympic Village but are taking up residence in the surrounding area. Most Sports do not want to subject their athletes to more than 30 min transportation.
As for Calgary getting the Olympics again. I can’t see it for the next 4 cycles at the earliest. The US will get it long before Canada, and you have to understand the Euro Sports mentality. North America is best ignored. But they have to accept NA only because to the financial benefits.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 8:29 PM
DRINK

Quote:
Commonwealth Games bid + success = new 15,000 seat soccer stadium (as part of the airport redevelopment adjacent to NAIT)
As much as I'm a fan of Edmonton getting money from the feds for infrastructure projects, i'd find it retarded if we get money for a soccer stadium when other cities can't get funds for a CFL stadium... I mean...its soccer...

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
As much as I'm a fan of Edmonton getting money from the feds for infrastructure projects, i'd find it retarded if we get money for a soccer stadium when other cities can't get funds for a CFL stadium... I mean...its soccer...
The difference is those are one off "helping millionaires get richer", The stadium would be part of a facility requirement for a multisport international event. See TO and Hamilton Pan Am infrastructure.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 9:06 PM
DRINK

I believe you are the first person to ever connect the CFL with millionaires.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 9:33 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
I believe you are the first person to ever connect the CFL with millionaires.
sixty to a hundred thousandaires.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 9:47 PM

I was making the comment that that is what we will hear if money was put into the Stadiums if it was only for the stadiums. I got into an argument with some people over the weekend about the need to redevelop the downtown core. Needless to say I got allot of the subsidising millionaires comments. Also “why waste money on something no one wants and will not help Edmonton. One comment was why waste money on Edmonton there is too much crime and it won’t make it better. Another great comment was, Mandel is bankrupting the city. They also found a way to blame Mandel for the lack of an adequate LRT system.

It was a frustrating exercise.

Back to our discussion. I am all for going after the Games if it means updating and adding to our legacy buildings, this would also help build out the airport lands. Look at TOs games village. Dare to dream. Regrettably my sport is not a Commonwealth Games Core Sport.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 10:20 PM

I want a Calgary-Edmonton-Banff-Jasper joint bid for the Winter Olympics. I wonder if Edmonton/Calgary could pull off a summer games bid.

I can dream.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
I thought I heard when India was hosting that the CG are the third largest multi-sporting event after the Summer and Winter Olies.
I imagine that the World Cup is probably bigger. - Edit.... missed the multi part of your post.

Summer Olympics - World Cup - Winter Olympics - World Championships in Athletics - Pan Am games

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 10:55 PM

I don't think you are going to see much funding to host Multi-sports Games for the next while, after TO and the Billion they are spending. Word I have heard hinted is all NSOs are going to get a 30% cut in funding next budget. Winter sports will maintain their funding until Sochi.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 6:55 AM
Clearshades

Quote:

Just a concept to squeeze cash from the Feds for highspeed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton