HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutonicpanda View Post
What is the building East of the 101 on Sunset? It has been under construction forever and nothing has moved on it.
You might be referring to the Target that's been delayed by lawsuits.

Here's the Hollywood development map if you want to verify: https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...6A0plS4Au894Ek

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 9:41 AM

I think the lot right above the future Purple Line Station in Century City would be the perfect spot for an arena. It would generate more night time activity in the area and people could hang out at the Westfield mall before and after games. It's far enough away from residential neighborhoods and most games are at night so it wouldn't disrupt the offices in the area really. I know that lot is proposed for another office building but maybe it can be sold for the right price, besides I can't find another area in the westside where an arena can ideally be placed.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 1:21 PM
Ascension

Clippers are not leaving Los Angeles let alone Staples Center.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 5:43 PM

Frank Gehry’s Sunset Strip project is approved — ‘I will do my best to make you proud’
Five new buildings with architecture that’s classic Gehry

http://la.curbed.com/2016/7/29/12315...oject-approved

Quote:
Celebrity architect Frank Gehry’s big residential and retail project on the Sunset Strip is a go. The city’s planning commission on Thursday voted unanimously to give final approval to a cluster of Gehry-designed buildings at 8150 Sunset Boulevard.

Its location at Crescent Heights, directly across from favorite celebrity-haunt Chateau Marmont, is prime, and the developer, Townscape Partners, says it’s an iconic design that will serve as the "eastern gateway" to the strip.

The five buildings with varying heights from three to 15 stories will hold 249 residential units, 15 percent of which will be rented below market rate to tenants with lower incomes. That percentage is an increase from what was initially proposed, a request made by commissioners. Plans also call for a market, restaurant, stores, and new bank. There’s also public space and a public plaza, landscaped with jacaranda and palm trees, plus about 800 parking spaces.

. . . The project would knock down a strip mall that's on the site now, and one Los Angeles resident has nominated its postwar-era bank building, which houses a Chase, for landmark status, which might protect it from demolition. A hearing on that nomination is set for August 18.

Last edited by mdiederi; Jul 29, 2016 at 5:56 PM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 5:52 PM
BANNED

Not a Gehry fan at all, but Im glad to hear this.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 7:37 PM

Singular Gehry buildings are sometimes great. But multiple Gehrys grouped together are a frenetic mess competing against itself.

This might be a good addition anyway because it's Sunset Strip as long as it doesn't tip over the line into Hollywood/Highland territory.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
Clippers are not leaving Los Angeles let alone Staples Center.
I'm not sure if you were stating this to the board in general or a direct response to my post, but if that's the case, Century City is within Los Angeles city limits but only a stone's throw away from Beverly Hills.

I think this location for an arena would be the most logical for Steve Ballmer if he's serious about moving out of Staples and wants to build a new arena within LA because of the future Purple Line Station and it's close proximity to LA's most affluent neighborhoods which would also make it a major draw for concerts and awards shows if they intend to duplicate Staples' success.

But like everyone is saying, I don't think LA really needs a new arena and the Clippers would be fine staying in Staples but the Lakers Championship banners will always cast a shadow over them so it's merely fun to speculate when sports owners become title envy.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
(Before anybody "tries" to rip me a new one (you should know better by now), everything I'm saying is just my own personal sports opinion, nothing to be taken seriously)
Somehow after all of that discussion about the Clippers potentially moving, the only thing I took away from it was this. I'm just curious to know what exactly you meant by this??

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StethJeff View Post
Somehow after all of that discussion about the Clippers potentially moving, the only thing I took away from it was this. I'm just curious to know what exactly you meant by this??
HAHAHA. Because back when the Rams were announced to be heading back to LA and the Chargers and Raiders were both blocked. I threw out my opinion that the Chargers would stay in SD and the Raiders would move out of state (which seems like a possibility these days).

Somebody "Tried" to railroad me and say I was wrong, but somehow thought it was ok to respond with their own fact less opinion and made it seem like they were 100% right and I was completely wrong.

That 3 day argument ended with them being on here sparsely these days

What can I say. I have a way with people

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 11:10 PM

Quote:
3 NBA teams, NFL team, NHL team, MLB team, MLS team (we had two teams, poor Chivas folded) and if you include Orange County, that's another MLB team and NHL team, Add San Diego and that's another NFL team and MLB team. Market saturation to the max.
We still have two MLS team. LAFC will begin play next year at the new soccer stadium shared with USC.

You also forgot USC and UCLA football, which are bigger football draws than NFL. Especially USC... Rams are not going to draw as many people or get better local TV ratings as USC on a regular basis.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2016, 12:19 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post

You also forgot USC and UCLA football, which are bigger football draws than NFL. Especially USC... Rams are not going to draw as many people or get better local TV ratings as USC on a regular basis.
Hmm, I seriously doubt that.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2016, 2:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
We still have two MLS team. LAFC will begin play next year at the new soccer stadium shared with USC.

[You also forgot USC and UCLA football, which are bigger football draws than NFL. Especially USC... Rams are not going to draw as many people or get better local TV ratings as USC on a regular basis.
Oh I know, but since they aren't playing right now, I didn't include them in the tally. Arent they the team that came out of Chivas imploding ? With all sports, the one I keep track of the least is soccer, not sure why, I actually like it

College football to me has always been interesting. I'm more of a NFL type guy but a lot of the people I know actually prefer college ball. USC and UCLA will always dominate in terms of draw (filling the seats) but I think the Rams will undoubtedly sell out, especially when they get their own stadium in Inglewood. (or atleast for the first decade)

Old Posted Jul 30, 2016, 11:44 AM
Ascension

LAFC and Chivas are two wholly different teams.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2016, 6:30 PM

Big foundation pour this morning at the Marriott Edition hotel site at Sunset and Doheny. Sorry no photos to share.

Last edited by Steve8263; Jul 30, 2016 at 6:59 PM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2016, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJXN View Post
LAFC and Chivas are two wholly different teams.
To an extent. That's what I was getting at. When you look up information about both, apparently some dude named Henry Nguyen, along with some other investors, bought Chivas and intentionally folded the organization just to rebrand it under the Los Angeles Football Club name to start "fresh". So its pretty much one in the same, with a different name, new colors and new players. Reason why I found it odd that It was called an expansion team when its really Chivas, returning from spring break with a new tan and different accent. But I don't keep up with soccer to be honest. But reading up on them, Pretty much sums up what happened.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2016, 5:31 AM

Ooh!! The Century City Clippers!!!! Nice

Old Posted Jul 31, 2016, 5:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
Ooh!! The Century City Clippers!!!! Nice
That could work! Kind of like the Brooklyn Nets, same city different territory.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2016, 8:04 AM

Quote:
To an extent. That's what I was getting at. When you look up information about both, apparently some dude named Henry Nguyen, along with some other investors, bought Chivas and intentionally folded the organization just to rebrand it under the Los Angeles Football Club name to start "fresh". So its pretty much one in the same, with a different name, new colors and new players. Reason why I found it odd that It was called an expansion team when its really Chivas, returning from spring break with a new tan and different accent. But I don't keep up with soccer to be honest. But reading up on them, Pretty much sums up what happened.
Incorrect. The LAFC owners did not purchase Chivas USA. It is not a rebrand. Chivas USA folded and the company was liquidated. LAFC may be replacing Chivas in the market, but they are completely separate entities. Different LLCs. This is not analogous to the Seattle Supersonics/Oklahoma City Thunder, which was the same entity, but rebranded.

Saying LAFC is the same thing as Chivas USA is like saying this is the same thing as this , but just "rebranded."

Old Posted Jul 31, 2016, 4:34 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

What lot in Century City is large enough to hold a basketball arena? Certainly not the lot at the corner of Century Park West and Constellation.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jul 31, 2016, 9:05 PM

^^^ I was thinking the same. Unless somebody plans on tearing down a lot of buildings for the stadium and parking. But Century City would actually be an interesting idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
Incorrect. The LAFC owners did not purchase Chivas USA. It is not a rebrand. Chivas USA folded and the company was liquidated. LAFC may be replacing Chivas in the market, but they are completely separate entities. Different LLCs. This is not analogous to the Seattle Supersonics/Oklahoma City Thunder, which was the same entity, but rebranded."
HHHHMMMMM this is interesting. From all of the information I've looked up on ESPN, LA times, even the teams website, MLS, even Sports illustrated and hell I even went to WIKi just for the shits and giggles, plus other information, and they are all in agreement in what happened.

MLS bought Chivas from the struggling previous owner. MLS initially wanted someone or a group of investors to buy the team to do a "Rebrand" (their words, not mine). Henry Nguyen steps in as the head of a group of investors that now include Magic Johnson and Will Farrell and others, to not only buy what was left of the team (not necessarily a liquidation but out right sell of 100+ million that included some debts) but to also buy the rights to a second soccer team in LA. Buy what's left of Chivas = buy the second market. Don't buy what was left of Chivas = Not buying the second market.

So in fact, if Henry Nguyen didn't buy what was left of Chivas, he couldn't have created the LAFC. Having different LLC/LLP doesn't mean anything. If I were to buy a business from someone, I would have to go under a different LLC/LLP, I couldn't piggy back off of the previous owner unless the previous owner was directly involved. So either the LA times, ESPN, sports illustrated, team websites and other information is oddly wrong or somebody else is . (if you need confirmation, google is there and free)

Also, I wasn't comparing the supersonics/Oklahoma city mess with this ( even though in fact when the team was bought, it actually was bought under a different LLC and wasn't connected at all to the previous LLP before they moved to Oklahoma). That supersonic conversation was more so with myself not having trust with Ballmers promises from a business standpoint.

Last edited by caligrad; Jul 31, 2016 at 9:40 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations