HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 7:50 PM
Detroiter4life

USDOT partners with Kansas City for future infrastructure projects

Kansas City and the US DOT announced a partnership today that could lead to $15 billion of transportation projects getting funding from the feds. The highlights for me were the proposed rail line between downtown Kansas City and the Airport, the east-west streetcar line and improvements for I-35 on the west side and U.S. 71.

USDOT partners with Kansas City for future infrastructure projects

Quote:
The Emerging Projects Agreement focuses on $15 billion worth of Kansas City projects designed to improve the infrastructure throughout the area. The partnership will help with work for an east-west KC Streetcar extension, which hopes to connect underserved communities with health care and jobs.

U.S. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg said the department hopes to bring safer, cleaner and modern transportation to Kansas City.

“I’ve had the chance to see firsthand the great strides Kansas City is taking to modernize their infrastructure, and this agreement will help advance that work for years to come,” Buttigieg said.

Kansas City Mayor Quinton Lucas said he’s honored to have a partnership with USDOT to improve the community. “I am thrilled about our collaboration to bring billions of dollars to our community to make improvements,” Lucas said. According to Lucas, the improvements include reconnecting communities once torn apart by highway construction, creating a rapid transit system from the airport to the city, and making critical repairs to our bridges.

Here are some of the projects that could benefit:

A fixed, 21-mile rail line from downtown Kansas City to the airport ($10.5 billion)
An east-west streetcar extension ($1.5 billion)
Reconnecting the eastside, a study of 71 Highway’s impact ($1.6 billion)
Reconnecting the westside, a study of I-35’s impact ($1.5 billion)
Construction of the South Loop Park over I-670 ($314 million)
Blue River Watershed safety and connectivity improvements ($123 million)
The city will get funding from Transportation Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Act (TIFIA) loans, Railroad Rehabilitation and Improvement Financing (RRIF), Private Activity Bonds (PABs) and technical assistance grants.
https://fox4kc.com/news/usdot-partne...ture-projects/

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 8:25 PM

Uhh, why would a rail line cost $10.5 billion?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation