HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 11:23 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
Its not. asserting that its bombed out is nonsense. that said, it's full of low-skill hispanic immigrants, who tend to have less tidy neighborhoods. also there are a lot of industrial facilities in and around the city, which tend to create blight and low property values around them.

I would also assert that lower-end Canadian immigrants tend to cluster in 1960s high rises, in the US these people live in houses. both populations may be equally poor but poor people in aging public housing high rises tend to be less visibly poor than those in rundown houses.
Cool story but I live here and guarantee I know and have seen more of this city than you have and what I said was 'much of it' is bombed out. There are some areas that wouldn't out of place in some developing world countries. Decline I didn't see in some rust belt cities. And many of those low-skilled Hispanic neighborhoods are some of the most colorful and vibrant despite their socioeconomic status.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 11:32 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

oh look! this neighborhood next to 10 refineries is bombed out and blighted!

the drive south from IAH to downtown on I-10 is admittedly pretty rural but that's a tiny part of the metro.

how much of the inner loop would you consider bombed out?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 11:40 PM

The centralization of our cities is what is keeping them from collapsing. During a normal working day, Montréal's downtown population jumps by about 400k.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 11:44 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
oh look! this neighborhood next to 10 refineries is bombed out and blighted!

the drive south from IAH to downtown on I-10 is admittedly pretty rural but that's a tiny part of the metro.

how much of the inner loop would you consider bombed out?
First, you don't take I-10 from IAH into downtown. Second, there's nothing "rural" about the stretch of I-45 or US-59 from the airport into town. It's pretty rough in much of the neighborhoods on both sides particularly along 59. Third, there is more to Houston than the loop of which and even that isn't immune to some pretty run down areas.

The refineries are on the far east end of town.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 12:05 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
what would Melbourne look like without chinese real estate capital inflows though? Or if the Australians had decided to leave all that coal in the ground instead of sending it to China to be consumed in power plants?

wealth is about the purchasing power of the average citizen, not the crystallization of overseas investment in the built form of high rise condos. On this, Philadelphia and Boston and even Detroit tend to outperform (english speaking) canadian and australian cities.

There is A LOT more to Melbourne's economy than the dismissive explanations you've given here.

I don't disagree about U.S. cities having more "capitalized" economies, for lack of a better term. That explains a lot about their often world-beating GDP, even when they appear to be in pretty bad shape.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 12:37 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
It's a massive city (geographically) and it does have a lot of wealth, extravagant wealth but there are huge swathes of the region that are extremely poor despite the relative newness of it. I haven't' been to Montreal in a while either and that was in and out to watch the Rangers get their asses handed to them by the Habs but didn't notice the level of blight like I do here and most American cities.
US-style blight, which seems to exist at least somewhat in even most prosperous cities down there, is extremely rare in Canada.

We certainly have crappy poor areas in our cities, but they all look lived-in and not bombed-out and abandoned.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 5:15 PM

Canada's fastest-growing CMA's between 2018 and 2019

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/these-...nada-1.4810756

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
Or maybe, Canada's population is just more clustered, so that even the cities of a few hundred thousands are close enough to the bigger cities that people can commute to them or be linked to them more easily within the metro area, without having to lose population to them by people moving away?
A little under 1/3 of Canadians live within a 3 hour drive of Downtown Toronto, at least in no traffic.

It's easy to not realize that by far the largest chunk of Canadians live in Southern Ontario. It is the fastest growing part of the country right now and home to roughly 12 million people.. If Ontario were a state it would be the 5th largest,with about 14.5 million people, with about 12 milllion of them living south of Barrie and west of Oshawa.

You have Hamilton, a CMA of 800,000, directly beside the Toronto CMA. Oshawa is the same, 400,000 people and its effectively part of the Toronto metro. Then theres Waterloo, Brantford, Barrie, Peterborough, Guelph, and Niagara. Combined about 1.7 million people, all a little over an hour away from downtown Toronto. London is about 2 hours away, another 500,000.

Outside of Southern Ontario people are generally clustered in a few largish cities. Canada is massive, but the average Canadian actually lives a fairly dense lifestyle in a large city.

Canada did have a few metro's losing population up until a few years ago, the liberal's increased immigration levels making Canada the fastest growing country in the G7 have largely reversed that though. Saint John, Sudbury, and Thunder Bay were all CMAs that were shrinking. They are all in the 100-200k range for population though, so not very large. Sault Ste Marie is the largest city still consistently losing population from my understanding, and it's about 75,000 people (St. Johns lost some last year but I don't think that will be sustained).

Last edited by Innsertnamehere; Feb 14, 2020 at 6:15 PM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 1:06 AM

^ yup Canada is like a smallish extended family living in a huge mansion with a huge yard..A good third of them are hanging out in the living room(Southern Ontario), with the rest scattered..Montreal is in the family room downstairs watching the Habs , while emptying the bar and getting drunk alongside friends playing pool. Ottawa is in the office den/library sipping tea and going over the budget..Problem is, the housekeeping and yard maintenance can get expensive..They want to build a interlock path from the front to the back yard..It's going to cost large..The floors alone take the house keepers awhile to clean.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 1:28 AM

Southern Ontario has about 12 million people, and the Ottawa-Montréal-Quebec City corridor has about 9 million people. 21 million out of 37 million

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
Southern Ontario has about 12 million people, and the Ottawa-Montréal-Quebec City corridor has about 9 million people. 21 million out of 37 million
And the Conservative Party does not want to formulate policies attractive to that 21 million?

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 1:37 AM
Aimless Wanderer

Northern Ontario is less than a million people, so Southern Ontario is pretty close to 14 million by now.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 2:04 AM

Sherbrooke growing at 5x (!!!) the pace of St. John's!
A 10,000 people gap now - and only growing.

Someone attract SignalHillHiker's attention to this thread

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
They can train some brave computer nerds in Quebec anyway.

I'll never forget, some of them helped me in French online in using stuff like Latex, some advanced C++ tricks and computer gadgets like those, sparing me from reading related English documentations for hours.
And you know, that's not exactly the most exciting kind of readings you could think of. Lol.

Then I'm forever thankful to them.
Last two times I needed to speak to a tech on the phone (for corporate service on computer-related stuff)... last time I got a Tunisian, the previous time a Moroccan. Both of them extremely overqualified!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 4:15 PM

I've never been there, but I keep forgetting that Sherbrooke actually has some size to it and has a fairly large presence in Quebec. Ditto for Kelowna within B.C..They are the "Windsors" of their respective provinces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
I always forget how small the major Canadian cities are (Toronto excluded). Their skylines way over-perform compared to their size. Impressive growth all around, though!
Yes.I guess you can see the same happening in any smaller country such as Australia and New Zealand..On a smaller level of course, the U.S can be like China with a lot of little known cities that are actually quite large..I'm talking metros like Grand Rapids, Corpus Christie, Riverside, etc..Heck, if Syracuse was a Canadian city, it would be fairly major and known about within Canada.

Last edited by Razor; Feb 15, 2020 at 4:53 PM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I've never been there, but I keep forgetting that Sherbrooke actually has some size to it and has a fairly large presence in Quebec. Ditto for Kelowna within B.C..They are the "Windsors" of their respective provinces.

Yes.I guess you can see the same happening in any smaller country such as Australia and New Zealand..On a smaller level of course, the U.S can be like China with a lot of little known cities that are actually quite large..I'm talking metros like Grand Rapids, Corpus Christie, Riverside, etc..Heck, if Syracuse was a Canadian city, it would be fairly major and known about within Canada.
More like Saguenay.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Sherbrooke ranks as #5 metro in the East of the country (defined as "everything east of Toronto") after, in order, #1 Montreal, #2 Ottawa, #3 Quebec City, #4 Halifax. (Even I find this surprising and impressive, having just written it!)

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 7:00 PM

Ha..Look at all the London- Winnipeg sized metros in the U.S

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tistical_areas

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 10:32 PM
Rational urbanist

The stats posted on this page show why all our cities are growing, in addition to the response that we just don't have a sun belt equivalent. Cities like Kitchener, London, and Abbotsford are growing largely as a result of big city out-migration, from Toronto for the first two and Vancouver for Abbotsford, as people look for housing affordability. The big cities however stay growing because they remain the biggest destinations for immigrants.

But yeah, the relative lack in city-to-city mobility in Canada is probably driven by the fact that we just have fewer cities, so opportunities are concentrated where people already are. We essentially have less than 10 major cities, and the biggest ones offer opportunity in pretty much anything you want. For example, there's no equivalent in Canada for a Torontonian to have to move to a San Jose for tech or Boston/Houston for medical stuff or LA for media. All that stuff exists in Toronto. This dynamic weakens as you go down the list of big Canadian cities, but it's still there. A much lesser "winner-takes-all" dynamic coupled with more robust social programs mean that the average person can live a pretty decent life just about anywhere. As witnessed above, the major internal migration flow serving as an exception is from over-priced Toronto and Vancouver to smaller cities that are still nearby.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2020, 6:10 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
Canada and the US don't you the methodology when measuring metropolitan populations so no use comparing the two results
They don't but our metros are still small relative to US metros. They have 53 metros over 1 million people. One could use US criteria and we'll still only have 6.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions